Color Me Surprised

BoddaH1994

I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but I'm honestly happy and unhappy about all of these changes. I guess the thing is that growing up, I've been used to Nickelodian, Top Gun instead of (iForget the name), Face/Off instead of Invertigo, etc. I don't know, But I think the blue will look great. The GOOD Part is that all of the rides are still the same (except Racers)

I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but I'm honestly happy and unhappy about all of these changes. I guess the thing is that growing up, I've been used to Nickelodian, Top Gun instead of (iForget the name), Face/Off instead of Invertigo, etc. I don't know, But I think the blue will look great. The GOOD Part is that all of the rides are still the same (except Racers)

I'm with you there. I miss the good mixture of Nickelodean and Hannah-Barbera themed areas. That and the movie themes. All that made the park for me. Sadly things change.

At other parks, Evel Knievel, Thomas the Train, The Wiggles, Terminator, etc. have been shown the door. At still another, Garfield the Cat made a controversial entrance into The Old Mill. Many wish he'd leave.

I have been a die hard Garfield fan since I read my first Garfield book in 2nd grade, and even I wish he would leave that ride. Seems like every time I go I ride it to remind myself why not to ride it. The experience that that ride gives is what I would imagine an acid trip to be like.

• Like 1

It's kind of surprising considering that Kennywood seems to be all about maintaining old and rare rides.

I think this was their way of preserving the ride. Maybe they thought they'd breathe life into it by infusing it with a well-loved (and "classic in its own right") property. And truth be told, I've never seen the line shorter than 15 minutes on my trips. It's a shame in terms of classic dark rides, but I think it made sense as a viable family park. That's not to say a resurgence of the original theme wouldn't be highly celebrated by all.

Garfield the Cat made a controversial entrance into The Old Mill. Many wish he'd leave.

I have been a die hard Garfield fan since I read my first Garfield book in 2nd grade, and even I wish he would leave that ride. Seems like every time I go I ride it to remind myself why not to ride it. The experience that that ride gives is what I would imagine an acid trip to be like.

I've only been to Kennywood once in my life, and I have no clue what that ride used to be. I love dark rides very much. When I rode Garfield's Nightmare, I'm pretty sure the only things I genuinely liked were the ride's outdoor theming and the novelty of a boat-based dark ride. Everything else ranked, to be frank, somewhere around watching grass grow.

The "nightmare" theme wasn't too bad. It was the fact that they used Garfield to do it. The ride was entirely silent, save for a few random sound effects. And half of those sound effects were Garfield saying something in his dull monotone. If it were any other cartoon character, it'd be a lot easier for me to overlook and chalk up to theming effects presumably not being maintained. As it were, the fact that the ride wasn't too exciting by itself combined with Garfield's voice, giving the impression that the ride's just as bored with you as you are with it. With some extra effects (like a soundtrack), the theme would work much better on a dark ride/shooter system like our BBoBH, but it just doesn't work well with Kennywood's boats.

I just noticed that the announcement of Invertigo's repainting was apparently enough to reset the "most online" record for the KIC forums. Apparently more people are interested in an existing coaster being repainted than in the announcement of the biggest and baddest coaster ever to hit KI. Go figure.

EDIT: Never mind. I screwed up. See below.

Edited by jcgoble3
  • Like 1

I just noticed that the announcement of Invertigo's repainting was apparently enough to reset the "most online" record for the KIC forums. Apparently more people are interested in an existing coaster being repainted than in the announcement of the biggest and baddest coaster ever to hit KI. Go figure.

"people are strange" like that...

While that would make sense, if you hover over the number, it says "11 Jan 2012", which is a full month before this topic was started (and almost three weeks before the topic on Soak City construction was started).

While that would make sense, if you hover over the number, it says "11 Jan 2012", which is a full month before this topic was started (and almost three weeks before the topic on Soak City construction was started).

picardfacepalm.jpg

How did I screw that up? Must have been too tired. Never mind. Ignore me. *walks away in shame*