Kings Island 70's Campground brochure

standbyme

I hope I am not frustrating anyone with my brochure topics. I have been "cataloging" my stuff lately...and after I scan something I figure why not share it.

I start a new topic for 2 reasons...the first one is so I can easily search and see what I have and haven't shared...and secondly so if someone else happens to be searching for a paticular brochure this way might be easier.

This isn't a particularly exciting brochure...but I like it...and I figure that there are a few others on here who will find it fun.

I never stayed at the campground in it's prime...but even in it's no-frills stage it was a blast! :)

kicamping1a.jpg

I wish everyone dressed a little classier when they went to the park.

kicamping1b.jpg

Not that it wasn't to be expected...but prices at the store were pretty high...and back then we didn't know where all of the stores were in the area so we did pay them if we ran out of something.

kicamping1c.jpg

One of my more memorable campground memories is when I went into the bathroom and someone had smeared what appeared to be chocolate syrup all around the walls of one of the stalls...come to think of it, maybe it wasn't chocolate syrup. ;)

kicamping1d.jpg

I like the crown logo on this page...it looks very Oktoberfest like.

kicamping1e.jpg

kicamping1f.jpg

I wish I would have taken more photos of the campground...but I didn't have a digital camera back then. I wonder where all of the street signs that featured ride names on them ended up? I am guessing they all left the park one way or another because they never ended up in any Fearfest/Halloween Haunt displays/haunts.

• Like 10

God standbyme, I'm so frustrated with your annoying brochure posts. ;)

Seriously, why would you say that? These are awesome, PLEASE keep sharing.

I love the 70's artwork and its little touches. If you look in the first photo did you notice they made it a point to put gray streaks in the dad's hair?

I never stayed at the campground since I lived 20 minutes away and don't like camping, but always wondered what it was like. It's like this lost world of Kings Island that I never saw.

So, standbyme (and others who went there), I have a few questions about it:

- In all the brochures, they make mention of year round camping. In its later years, was it still open year round?

- What were the facilities like towards the end? I know they still had the store, but were the bathrooms updated/nice? In the photos on the brochure they included a photo of the sinks - very 70's esque. Was there still laundry and game rooms?

- Did they still rent motorhomes at the end? What about bikes?

- Was the pool nice at all? Playground? What is the difference between a wading pool and a regular pool that they keep mentioning?

- Did they still have planned entertainment?

- Did the campground go back to the river? If so, did they have fishing?

Thanks for taking the time to post this, it's fascinating.

• Like 2

God standbyme, I'm so frustrated with your annoying brochure posts. ;)

Seriously, why would you say that?

Because I figured some people might be thinking "Geez...can't this guy just lump these into one topic instead of starting a new thread everytime". Like I said, it makes my life a little easier...and I do have some more brochures waiting in the wings.

So, standbyme (and others who went there), I have a few questions about it:

I will answer the questions that I know...

- In all the brochures, they make mention of year round camping. In its later years, was it still open year round?

I am 99% sure it stayed year round up until it closed because I saw signs up and wondered how busy they actually were in the non-season.

I know they still had the store, but were the bathrooms updated/nice? In the photos on the brochure they included a photo of the sinks - very 70's esque.

Funny/sadly enough I think they still had the same sinks (and mirror) when it closed! I have photos of the bathroom...yes, when no one was in it...I even have a shot of the "chocolate syrup" stall! (And people thought TopGun1993 took a lot of pictures!)

- Was the pool nice at all? Playground?

There was no pool while we were there...I do not know when it was removed. There was a small playground...nothing fancy but it did serve to kill time before we went to the park.

- Did they still have planned entertainment?

Not unless you count some of the clientele sometimes. :P

You didn't ask...but the free shuttle ran all the way until it closed.

Glad you liked the brochure. :)

• Like 2

^Oh yeah...although they did add about 8 nice cabins sometime after this brochure was made...and they were cool. (We even tried to buy one when they closed, but they said that there were already plans for them...anyone know where they ended up?)

I think "functional" summed up the campground the last few years...but believe me, my best memories of going to the park are connected with the campground. :)

• Like 2

Guest TombraiderTy

My guess is 1974...possibly 1975. Since the brochure mentions Lion Country Safari and not Wild, it must be about when it first opened...what say you Ty? :)

I'd agree - the area wasn't renamed Wild Animal Safari until (I believe) '77. Plus, I'm certain the brochure would've mentioned Screamin' Demon had it existed at the time.

I'd go with '74 too (alongside a possible '75). I doubt it's '76 since the American Heritage Music Hall probably would've been mentioned.

- Was the pool nice at all? Playground?

There was no pool while we were there...I do not know when it was removed. There was a small playground...nothing fancy but it did serve to kill time before we went to the park.

I can't give a date, but I believe the pool was filled-in and converted to a volleyball court.

Thanks for sharing this brochure, alongside all the other ones. It's nice to have an archive of sorts for them :)

• 3 years later...

Thank you! I like the brochures!

I was So Glad to find out they had a "ladies' hair dryer' in the campground. I didn't have to pack my own. One always goes for the big bouffant 'do while camping.

And you know I'm imagining one of those big bubble sit down numbers you see in old movies.

• Like 1

I camped here with my family way back in the 80s.  I don't have too many memories, but I do remember one in particular.  My parents had bought me some kind of little toy flute in HB Land that weekend.  I want to say it had Yogi Bear or some HB character on it too.  Anyway, one morning as we were getting packed up to go, I was sitting at one of the picnic tables singing some kind of song and using my flute as a drum stick on the picnic table.  My mom told me to stop, but I was young and I didn't listen.  As I hit the table on one of the beats, my poor plastic flute cracked in half.  Oh well, that's what I get for not listening!  Good times though, we always had fun camping as a family.  It's kind of sad it's not there anymore.

• Like 4

Looking at the brochure again, I now see that the "discount" rate isn't that great of a deal after all. Sure it's $2 a day cheaper, but the discounted rate is for 2 people instead of 4, so if you have 4 or more people in your party, you only save $1 per day over the normal rate.

• Like 1

I guess it was way back when money meant something.

We used to "run away from home" with my sisters' kids to the campground and park when they felt like running away.

Surprisingly enough, they didn't grow up spoiled.

They do travel a lot though- I guess they are still running away from home in one form or another.

• Like 5

Looking at the brochure again, I now see that the "discount" rate isn't that great of a deal after all. Sure it's $2 a day cheaper, but the discounted rate is for 2 people instead of 4, so if you have 4 or more people in your party, you only save $1 per day over the normal rate.

$1 meant something different back then.
  • Like 4