The KI Opening Day 2012 Poll!

McSalsa

Uh-Oh...I'm back to me old poll-making ways. Hehehe...

Well, I just got some good news- my sister and her friends plan on visiting Kings Island this year, on...OPENING DAY! I have been to KI before, but not on OPENING DAY...anyway, I decided on a spur-of-the-moment influence to make this poll.

What ride are you going to "walk" (you can try to run, but park management may not like it!) to for the moment you first get to KI? I did a similar poll like this last year...or perhaps it was for 2010...ahh, anyway but I decided most people who go to KI are going to go and RIDE SOMETHING first, but there is still a "I'm not doing a ride first!" option for you if that's what you're plans are. There's also an "undecided" for those who cannot yet choose. I tried to list all the "popular" thrill-based rides (plus Eiffel Tower, since it is the park's landmark and gives great views) but there is an "other" option...so, in case you wanna ride the Train first or something, you know. ;) And since KI opening day is CHAOS and you never know what rides might not be ready/broken, there is even a "Plan B" poll!

Enjoy the poll! And, even though it's still 60 days away...I can't wait for KI to re-open! This off-season, in spite of no major new rides (in fact, we are kissing Crypt goodbye and SOB still sits idle) is still agonizing...

^

I also plan on at least riding Beast...Diamondback depends on the line, I enjoy that ride (quite a bit), but if it's over 2 hours, likely no (unless lots and lots of other rides also have super-duper wait times, in which case quality over and quantity and DB gets back in the running). Beast at night? I'll start waiting at 6PM if I have too...which, if opening day is as crowded as it seems it will be, may be the case, tragically.

And I also plan on taking pictures- with my sister's new iPhone4. In particular, of Invertigo, since it just got a shiny new paintjob...(or is getting, ATM)...

^

True, but this will be the first opening day with...gulp...Fast Lane. Which we cannot afford...so we must wait extra for the "Fast Lane" users. I'm fine with it if it's an extra 10 minutes for Beast/Diamondback or something, but have heard horror stories that it can DOUBLE a ride's wait time...

However, it's not like I haven't been to KI before or anything...so, I'm not too worried if we only ride 10 rides or something. Just being at KI, even on a crowded day, beats sitting around at your house... ^_^

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with just how much you can ride on opening day.

Especially if the weather this year is like it has been the past two years - cold, rainy and breezy.

Excuse me? Unless my memory is failing me, last year's opening day was an absolutely gorgeous day, with temperatures in the 70s, little (if any) wind, and not even the slightest hint of rain. Lines were correspondingly long.

As for the poll, I haven't decided yet.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with just how much you can ride on opening day.

Especially if the weather this year is like it has been the past two years - cold, rainy and breezy.

Excuse me? Unless my memory is failing me, last year's opening day was an absolutely gorgeous day, with temperatures in the 70s, little (if any) wind, and not even the slightest hint of rain. Lines were correspondingly long.

As for the poll, I haven't decided yet.

You're right. It was nice last year. For some reason the only one I really remember is from two years ago when it was bitter cold and windy all day.

What ride are you going to "walk" (you can try to run, but park management may not like it!)

Or, y'know, maybe they'll take video of it and add it into an opening day compilation video, along with a shot of a flood of people rushing through the metal detectors. That worked out well last year. I'm with Terp:

Hopefully, safety minded new management won't allow guests to run in the park.

I'm also gunning for consistent dress code/line jumping enforcement, too.

What ride are you going to "walk" (you can try to run, but park management may not like it!)

Or, y'know, maybe they'll take video of it and add it into an opening day compilation video, along with a shot of a flood of people rushing through the metal detectors. That worked out well last year. I'm with Terp:

Hopefully, safety minded new management won't allow guests to run in the park.

I'm also gunning for consistent dress code/line jumping enforcement, too.

I'd settle for "smoking in designated areas ONLY" enforcement.

I can't vote for any of the options, because I'm not going. It's because that's the same day as little league opening day/parade. I'd rather be at KI, but well, there's no choice. Because of LLOD, the last time I got to go to KIOD, was in 2009. I don't remember muh, but walking through PS to The Beast passing a line I people in what the KI workers said was a 6 hour wait, which was only like 2 hours. I got to he Beast, and all the switchbacks were filled, and we waited about 2 hours to ride. Anyway, no opening day for me :(.

No opening day for me either this year, thanks to friends scheduling their wedding for that day. But I did answer it for when I DO go to the park for the first time this year, which will be the following Friday. This will be the first opening day I will have missed in years. Unless, depending on what time the wedding is, I might be able to sneak off to the park for a quick ride (or two) right at opening. It takes a little over two hours to get from my house to the town where the wedding is, but I only live 7 minutes from the park. :ph34r:

I found opening day 2011 to be exceptionally busy, especially for opening day. Opening day in 2009 and 2010 were much more pleasant, with most rides (save Diamondback, BLSC, Firehawk, and FoF) reducing themselves to either walk-ons or something near it by the end of the day. I don't know what the draw was for opening day 2011, except that it might have had something to do with the later opening date. So, if that's the cause, TOPGUN1993's right--get ready for some pretty crazy lines.

I'll probably start KI's 2012 season with a ride on Adventure Express, as that's where I inevitably end up drifting first on most KI visits. With The Crypt gone and Beast's (in my opinion) less-than-pleasant smoothness record in 2011, AE's got significantly reduced competition for my attention. And man, I miss that Arrow mine train something awful. It's not absolutely crucial that I ride it first, but it's something I've got to hit up at sometime soon.

If I can't do AE, I'm not entirely sure that it matters to me what I do first. I'll firstly and mostly enjoy the fact that I'm outside at Kings Island (rather than in a gray classroom with entirely synthetic lighting) with friends doing what we love, and if that results in us riding coasters, so be it. Riding Adventure Express would be a cool start to the day, but it's being at KI with friends that I miss the most this off-season.

• Like 2