Working at KI

xXDrummerKiDXx

Hello all, I am not new to the site. I am a member but under a new name and identity.

You really had to create a new username and profile to post this and announce it to the group? Somehow I'm assuming that the park already knows that you are an unhappy former employee (I'm sure you are not the first and won't be the last either) and would not write postive things about your employment experience. But even if they knew you and your real screen name, I'm doubting they were going to go out of there way to read this and then find a way to make life difficult for you - even if you'd written it under that name.

You talk about Etiquette - maybe the better etiquette in this situation would have been to say nothing.

No, that had nothing to do with the park. My previous name was foolish, and outdated. So I created a new one. My experience with Kings Island was amazing, I loved it. It was tough, rough and I sometimes I hated it but overall it was the best job I ever had. I love Kings Island and I loved serving the guests and making them smile. So no worries!

snapback.pngDreamerOnTheEdge, on 29 February 2012 - 09:35 AM, said:

Hello all, I am not new to the site. I am a member but under a new name and identity.

is this really account number three? first pizzababy027, then gottabesomthinmore, and now dreamerontheedge.

Well PizzaBaby027 was my primary account, the named changed many times. The second was a mistake and really did not intend on using it. This account is basically PizzaBaby027 but updated and refreshed.

I applied in mid December and recieved a email and a phone call about late January, I went in for my Interview last saturday (2-18-11) and was hired on the spot for the Games Department, they stopped me half way through and just hired me then I signed and finished some paperwork. This will be my first of many seasons with Kings Island and I hoping its going to be a great year!

I applied in December too for rides, guard and sweeps. Hope to hear something soon.

Park Services is an underappreciated department. The sweeps are, in my opinion, among the most important staff in ensuring a good experience at the park, as there's nothing as bad as walking around in a dirty place IMO. And I am thankful for them that real life isn't like RollerCoaster Tycoon, where every other guest pukes after getting off the kiddie rides. I don't usually have sympathy for fictional characters, but man those RCT handymen have it rough.

• Like 3

Did you click the "Mowing" option?

(also completely off topic, but does anyone else, after finding someone throwing up, pick them up and throw them in the water to teach them a lesson? No? Just me....?)

Kills your park rating. Be careful.

You mean people don't want to come to a park where the operator drowns them??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have an interview this saturday. Food and beverages called me last week and set up the interview. I have a few friends who work there and assured me that they will hire me. With opening be so close I'm wondering when they do the training. If i'm hired will they do a mock opening weekend the weekend before or something of that nature? I'm hoping they will let me know on-the-spot considering the fact that opening day is only two weeks after my interview.

Park Services is an underappreciated department. The sweeps are, in my opinion, among the most important staff in ensuring a good experience at the park, as there's nothing as bad as walking around in a dirty place IMO. And I am thankful for them that real life isn't like RollerCoaster Tycoon, where every other guest pukes after getting off the kiddie rides. I don't usually have sympathy for fictional characters, but man those RCT handymen have it rough.

When I was first hired by Kings Island in 1972, my position was as a "litter getter", which was what we were called back then. We were under the Food Services Department back then. We were very proud to be liter getters and we thought it was the best job in the park. We were not tied down to one particular area and could roam our assigned area while we swept up the trash. We had constant contact with the guests and were one of the first ones they would come to when they needed assistance. Beings we were under the Food Services banner, we had a joke among ourselves that the only thing we had to do with food was when we swept it up. Yes, it was the best job in the park and it still is.

Guest rcfreak339
Since you guys have all worked at KI before, does it get annoying or is it well-received when someone talks to you casually during the day? I'll usually engage in some small talk with employees during the day. Some seem to like it, some seem to not care at all.

Most employees would (should) have no problem with this, whether that be at Kings Island or anywhere else. It's an employees job (especially at Kings Island) to make sure you're having a wonderful time on not only the rides but to also make sure they provide excellent guest service, safely of course. That being said no employee should have a problem talking with any guest, as long as you're not distracting them they'll not hesitate to ask you how your day is and answer some questions.

Interacting with guests is something most amusement parks stress to their employees, it's a huge part of their job.

If they were to hire you Saturday, that does not mean you will be working opening day. With opening day 2 weeks and a couple odd days away, I would hope that Kings Island has 80-90 percent of the schedule figured out.

Okay that makes a lot more sense lol. Everyone keeps saying Foods doesn't call they just e-mail. Does the fact that they called me, especially so late in the process, mean anything? I applied in like early February so i had pretty much given up thinking they must have all their hiring done.

• 9 months later...

I am considering applying to work at Kings Island but there are a few questions I have first. I am 18 years old, I'm currently in school and will be back in school next fall, I live a considerable distance from KI, and I have no prior job experience. I want to work at the park simply because I love the place and would be extremely happy working there. However, I do live a considerable distance from the park meaning I would probably not be able to work all of the time and I'd be using a lot of gas to get there and back everyday. Another issue is that I am going off to college towards the end of August next year and without a car I will not be able to work at all. Do they offer weekends jobs or ones that do not schedule me every day? or would they even hire me due to the fact of me having to leave towards the end of the summer? or would it be worth my time to drive down there to work if i get the job? (My commute would be close to an hour) If anyone has any input I would love to hear it!

Since you guys have all worked at KI before, does it get annoying or is it well-received when someone talks to you casually during the day? I'll usually engage in some small talk with employees during the day. Some seem to like it, some seem to not care at all.

Most employees would (should) have no problem with this, whether that be at Kings Island or anywhere else. It's an employees job (especially at Kings Island) to make sure you're having a wonderful time on not only the rides but to also make sure they provide excellent guest service, safely of course. That being said no employee should have a problem talking with any guest, as long as you're not distracting them they'll not hesitate to ask you how your day is and answer some questions.

Interacting with guests is something most amusement parks stress to their employees, it's a huge part of their job.

Oops.

No. Take Kings Island Dr. all the way to Western Row. Turn Left.

Or

Get off of 71 at Western Row. Turn right.

After you turn onto Western Row, at the first light, turn left onto Columbia Rd. Park in the parking lot, and go to Human Resources. If you were looking at the front gate, it'll be to the right of that. It has an awning on it.

• Like 1

It's not near GWL. If coming from the north, take KI Drive all the way past KI down to the light at Western Row Road (I-71 ramps will be directly across from you). Turn left there and take the driveway immediately on the left. The driveway will take you around the Soak City entrance, before forking. Take the fork to the left and you will be in the employee parking lot. Human Resources is at the north end of employee parking near VIP parking (which is sandwiched between employee and handicap parking).

If coming from the south, take I-71 exit 24, turn right and the driveway will be immediately on the left. Follow the instructions above.

• Like 1

I am considering applying to work at Kings Island but there are a few questions I have first. I am 18 years old, I'm currently in school and will be back in school next fall, I live a considerable distance from KI, and I have no prior job experience. I want to work at the park simply because I love the place and would be extremely happy working there. However, I do live a considerable distance from the park meaning I would probably not be able to work all of the time and I'd be using a lot of gas to get there and back everyday. Another issue is that I am going off to college towards the end of August next year and without a car I will not be able to work at all. Do they offer weekends jobs or ones that do not schedule me every day? or would they even hire me due to the fact of me having to leave towards the end of the summer? or would it be worth my time to drive down there to work if i get the job? (My commute would be close to an hour) If anyone has any input I would love to hear it!

If are seriously interested working in the amusement park business, I would suggest looking into CP for your situation. At CP they have on site housing so you wouldn't have to commute and have in the past allowed workers to leave in august when college starts.