Son of Beast

flightoffear1996

I think it just needs to be worked on a little bit. The only part of the ride that bothers me is when you get to the bottom of the helixs. It always jerks me side to side. I'm a pretty tall guy and it hurts my legs when they rattle back and forth. But i guess when you're goin that fast there's not much you can do. Overall, I love Son of Beast, it's a great ride.

when it just came out i was like 10 or some thing and i waited for about 3 hours to go on it just to find out it was the worst ride i have ever been on because i conldt breathe or control my movements while riding. :wacko: :thumbsdown:

but now things have changed and i can ride it as many times as wanted and it doesnt hurt me... so i chose the Son of Beast doesnt bother me. B)B)

i agree with coasterguy.... SOB is an incredible ride. this past season i felt that i was running hte best it ever has. there is lots of thrills with this rides, and i deffinetly love the head / hand chopper effects.... adds to the experience and makes SOB even better! SOB does not bother me! :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I think that anyone who complains that SOB is a rough ride is just down right a wuss. Wooden coasters will always be rough and when you make a wooden coaster that big, what do you expect it to do? The only bad part about the train is that it has those god forsaken footpads.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Everyone who complains wants SOB to be smooth like Face Off or Vortex but here is a news flash, SOB IS A WOODEN COASTER. Wooden Coasters are suppossed to throw you around and seem like they will fly off the track. Thats what makes our beloved woodies so popular. True the seats could be a little larger for our taller guests. But to simply attack the coaster and say it sucks because it jerks u around to much is ludacris. If its to rough for you then dont ride, no one is holding a gun to your head. I have ridden in almost every seat and I have never had a problem with it tossing me around to the point where it hurt.

• 3 years later...
SOB is the best wooden roller coaster i have been on. I love it! I hate how people say it's jerkey, it's suposed to be! Like Express2924 said, It's a wooden coaster not metal!

I believe this has been posted time and time again. Yes, wooden coasters are rougher than their steel counter parts. I think everyone understands that. SOB is rough to the point of injuring someone.....THAT is not a wood coaster should be. Oddly enough, I find the ride to be somewhat smooth in the front seat.....but ONLY the front seat. Rode the back a few weeks ago, never again. I actually DO enjoy the first half of the ride, it has some intensity to it. However, I'd just as soon jump off on the block brake. The second half of the coaster is quite possibly the most boring ending of any coaster I've ridden. Period.

- Todd, who thinks SOB is improved......but thats not saying a lot

SOB is the best wooden roller coaster i have been on. I love it! I hate how people say it's jerkey, it's suposed to be! Like Express2924 said, It's a wooden coaster not metal!

Now that is the way to use the "search" feature! January 2004!

A ride where youhave to "learn" how to ride it is not right.

A ride where you have to sit in a specific seat to get a smoother ride is not right.

A ride where after you ride it, you need to take a break from riding another ride is not right.

"Jerky" as SoB has been defined does not do it justice. More like "jackhammering".

And no, just because it is a wood coaster does not mean that it has to beat you into submission. There are many wood coasters out there that are very smooth.

So now I ask: why are some wood coasters smooth, while others are like riding a Big Wheel down a dirt road?

I've ridden SOB once, when it still had the loop, I remember it being VERY fast!!

So fast that the wind whipped tears out of my eyes, and dried them to my face!!!

I was in the very front seat, so maybe that is the reason, but I don't remember it being overly bumpy.

I think it's just a personal prefrence as to what everybody likes, and doesn't like.

I hear people rave on and on about King Cobra here, and I hated that ride.

Nothing like having to dig your, ahem, "privates" out of your butt crack at the end of the ride!!!!

To me thats the best part of KI though, the variety. King Cobra was a ride I didn't like, but I could still spend all day riding, and not feel like I missed anything. I like SOB, but my daughter is still too scared to ride it. We ride everything else, and still leave happy.

Some day she'll be ready.

Oddly enough, I find the ride to be somewhat smooth in the front seat.....but ONLY the front seat. Rode the back a few weeks ago, never again. I actually DO enjoy the first half of the ride, it has some intensity to it. However, I'd just as soon jump off on the block brake. The second half of the coaster is quite possibly the most boring ending of any coaster I've ridden. Period.

That's exactly how I feel. I can only ride SOB in the front of the blue train. According to Brown, the ride still needs to be worked on as I got beat up on the back..

The end is kinda boring...

Oddly enough, I find the ride to be somewhat smooth in the front seat.....but ONLY the front seat. Rode the back a few weeks ago, never again. I actually DO enjoy the first half of the ride, it has some intensity to it. However, I'd just as soon jump off on the block brake. The second half of the coaster is quite possibly the most boring ending of any coaster I've ridden. Period.

That's exactly how I feel. I can only ride SOB in the front of the blue train. According to Brown, the ride still needs to be worked on as I got beat up on the back..

The end is kinda boring...

try the third row on the red train in the left seat, it is really smooth there. even smoother than Vortex. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rcfreak339

I picked Son of Beast does not hurt me because before when it had the loop my jerked around so much it made me feel like my head was going to fly off. But now its amazing its just as rough as The Beast. I thought the new trains for the Son of Beast would be a BIG mistake but WOW I was SURPRISED! A+ :lol::lol::lol:

The only work that I think should be done to SOB would be to put 3 row PTC cars more like Beast and Racer on it because the middle row of those cars are much smoother irregardless of if you sit in the front, back, or middle of the train. The idea behind SOB is good just another car change would fix the "jerkyness" that some people hate.

for the people that thought the restraints were uncomfterable in the origional Son of Beast trains look at it this way that being weaged in your seat by the restraint was what was keeping you from having over the shoulder restraints.

Sorry I didn't understand what you were getting at. It's also a fact that OTSR's are not necessary for any coaster with inversions. FOF is a perfect example and as you said, the old SOB trains. I think the OTSR's just make people "feel" safer.

For me it's all about the train, if your butt or legs hurt then wahts the use.

The original trains beat the hell outta my knees and that crazy foot brace. Hell they acted like you was gonna fall out of the thing. I guess it also does'nt help when your 6'3 and over LOL.