1973 Brochure

standbyme

ki731a.jpg

"Come be a kid again"...a great slogan! :)

ki731c.jpg

I have to say, as much as I love Scooby...this is not his finest hour...appearance wise that is. (His feet are really bad.)

ki731d.jpg

Only in the 70's could you see dresses like the entertainers are wearing! :lol:

ki731e.jpg

"...you are whisked through the make believe lands of our Enchanted Voyage," :)

ki731b.jpg

Have a good weekend!

• Like 3

Getting stuck up to my chest in muck: Priceless!!

Assuming you mean that literally, I'd like to hear that story.

I was working full time in maintenance in 74 helping to construct the monorail in Lion Country and I was putting grout in all the footers. I was wearing boots up to my knees and needed water to mix the grout. At that time, the area was undeveloped and was a mess with mud every where. There was a small creek and I went to feel my 5 gallon bucket full of water. Unknown to me, it was all mud beneath the water. There was no trees or branches to assist me pulling myself out. As I got one foot out of the water, my other foot went deeper in the mud. I keep sinking and al that mud was up to my chest. Everyone was having a laugh at my expense. After about 30 minutes, the supervisor had the guy operating the dozer to lower his bucket and had me grab on it. As he pulled me out, the suction almost pull my shoulder out of its socket as the mud made a huge sucking sound. i was all muddy and was a big mess. Now that area was where the entrance to Lion Country is, right over the bridge. Now it is all covered up as your enter Action Zone. But back then, it was all a muddy, undeveloped field but was grated and paved in the early spring. My last day working in that department was easy to remember as it was when the tornadoes struck the area and leveled parts of Mason, Lebanon and of course Xenia.

Getting stuck up to my chest in muck: Priceless!!

Assuming you mean that literally, I'd like to hear that story.

I was working full time in maintenance in 74 helping to construct the monorail in Lion Country and I was putting grout in all the footers. I was wearing boots up to my knees and needed water to mix the grout. At that time, the area was undeveloped and was a mess with mud every where. There was a small creek and I went to feel my 5 gallon bucket full of water. Unknown to me, it was all mud beneath the water. There was no trees or branches to assist me pulling myself out. As I got one foot out of the water, my other foot went deeper in the mud. I keep sinking and al that mud was up to my chest. Everyone was having a laugh at my expense. After about 30 minutes, the supervisor had the guy operating the dozer to lower his bucket and had me grab on it. As he pulled me out, the suction almost pull my shoulder out of its socket as the mud made a huge sucking sound. i was all muddy and was a big mess. Now that area was where the entrance to Lion Country is, right over the bridge. Now it is all covered up as your enter Action Zone. But back then, it was all a muddy, undeveloped field but was grated and paved in the early spring. My last day working in that department was easy to remember as it was when the tornadoes struck the area and leveled parts of Mason, Lebanon and of course Xenia.

Wow. Thanks for telling the story. That sounds like the type of thing that you would be embarrassed about when it happens but be able to laugh about it later. I think those make the best memories.

And I know all about the tornadoes. I was born, raised, and still live in Xenia. I am far too young to have been around in '74, but I've read about it and listened to my parents' tales about it, and I distinctly remember the 2000 tornado, which passed within a quarter mile of my house. We were lucky to only lose a few shingles off the roof in that one.

I'm on the west end of Laynewood, near Prouty Dr. I was 13 when the 2000 tornado hit. I distinctly remember that I had just set a new high score on the pinball game on my computer when the power went out (of course I lost the score because it wasn't saved yet). Five minutes later, my dad, looking out the west-facing front door, spotted the funnel and yelled for me and my mother to get in the hall closet (the closest thing we have to a tornado shelter in our house). Fifteen minutes after that, I was up on June Dr. looking at the damage. Power wasn't restored at my house for two days.

(Apologies to standbyme for hijacking this thread!)

Ah, not too far from me then. I'm on the other side of 35 bypass off Colorado, between upper and lower bell. We got power back the next morning.

I drove through Laynewood area over the next few days taking photos of the damage.

I kind of lucked out... We got home not long before it happened. Originally, we were going to go to Walmart, but decided to just go home instead.

Originally, we were going to go to Walmart, but decided to just go home instead.

:o Be glad you went home.

(For the benefit of others reading this: the tornado, after passing by my house, went through the Walmart parking lot and took out the strip mall next to it.)