Coasting for Kids 2012

jcgoble3

Coasting for Kids fund raising went well for the parks this past weekend. We're now over $26K. We're closing in on the half way point to last years total. What we really need are more participants. So to sign up clicking here: http://coasingforkids.org

If you can't participate but would like to still help out. Please make a donation to my page or any of the other wonderful participants.

Thanks Jason, right now KIC is the top fund raiser for KI, but no matter what team you are on we are all trying to raise money to help these awesome kids have a great vacation. If you have not already donated we would love your support!

Kings Island Page: http://www.firstgiving.com/gktw/KingsIsland

KIC Team Page: http://www.firstgiving.com/process/teamarea/default.asp?did=1785&teamid=182053

The most magical sound in the world is that of a child’s laughter. That is what fills the air at Give Kids The World Village (GKTW), a fanciful, carefree retreat for children with life-threatening illnesses and their deserving families.

GKTW is a 70-acre, nonprofit “storybook” resort located near Central Florida’s most beloved attractions. While at the Village children and their families are treated to weeklong cost-free fantasy vacations, complete with accommodations in whimsical villas, transportation, donated attractions tickets, meals and much more. These children learn that dreams really do come true as they and their families and immersed in joy, love and hope for a few unforgettable happy days- a most welcomed escape from the weight of their challenging circumstances.

Since 1986, GKTW has hosted families from all 50 states and more than 68 countries. The extraordinary, life-changing experience that GKTW offers is a gift made possible only thorough the generosity of countless corporations and individuals like you. For more information, visit www.gktw.org.

• 2 weeks later...

We have about 3 weeks left and Coasting for Kids has raised over $45,000 so far. We still have a bit to go to beat last years total, which was over $60,000. If you can spare a few dollars, any amount would be great!

Go to the Kings Island participant page here and pick a friend to donate to:

http://www.firstgiving.com/gktw/KingsIsland/fundraisers

Or, it would be even better if you could participate and get all your friends and family to donate too. Go here to sign up:

www.coastingforkids.org

I have a quick question....what should we do as marathon riders to prepare ourselves for the day other than stretch out a few days before and drink plenty of fluids for dehydration. Like, in my mind, I'm thinking my hat, a fanny pack filled with suntan lotion, my Zune player and Asprin. Will we be riding one train together back to back, or do we get out each and every ride. Will there be drinks provided like water or snacks? Is Lunch provided or do we break off for lunch and come back within a certain time. First time rider here who is sooooo excited to be part of the team. I will also be signing up my 15yr old son this weekend so we can do this together. I'm going to focus now on my donations, but this is worth every ounce of energy to help these children and their families! Thanks to whoever can help me answer my question.

~Brian

Hats have a tendency to be blown off at 54 miles per hour, so I would not recommend that. Sunscreen is a good idea. The Zune player won't be much use since electronics, like always, cannot be used on the ride. Aspirin is up to you.

Typically, one side of The Racer is reserved solely for the event, while the other side is open to the public, so you can simply stay on as long as you want to with no need to get out. Lunch will be provided in the International Restaurant at noon. Last year, they provided free cold bottles of water in the afternoon; no guarantee they'll do that again (it was hot last year).

HAVE FUN!!!

Guest KingsIslandPR

The Blue side will be used for this year's event. We will again provide everyone with bottled water at The Racer station. Thank you in advance to everyone participating in Coasting for Kids this year at Kings Island and other Cedar Fair parks.

• Like 6

Thank you in advance to everyone participating in Coasting for Kids this year at Kings Island and other Cedar Fair parks.

And a quick reminder that even if you, like me, are unable to ride (I am so hopeful that I'll be able to in 2013) - you can still participate by donating to this worthy cause.

I encourage you to visit one of the linked pages, read about the organization, and see if you can find a way to give a little (can you skip one trip to Starbucks/Taco Bell or wherever your guilty pleasure might be). Many on team KIC could use the support, and $5 or $10 from a bunch of people can add up quickly. Also, giving is simple and secure - as well as tax deductible.

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you for participating in this event. I am a past guest of Give Kids the World and really appreciate what they do there.

We were guests at GKTW in September 2010 and absolutely LOVED the place. It only has a very small paid staff and operates primarily on volunteer power. Every kid and every family is treated like you wouldn't believe and I have striven to give back to them as much as I can. They have been highly rated as a charity that effectively keeps costs down and uses a significant portion of donations for their mission, so be assured that the money you are raising will not line inappropriate pockets.

My wife has made it her mission to sponsor another family's trip there through Make A Wish of Greater Cincinnati in our daughter's name. Because of MAW and GKTW, we were able to take a rare family vacation that everyone was able to enjoy equally and we want to pay it forward. If you are so inclined, check out her page for this year's Walk for Wishes here.

For a "first person" account of what GKTW does, I encourage you to check my trip report here.

I really cannot overstate how appreciative I am of what GKTW does and the fact that you are all so willing to beat yourselves to death to support them!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• Like 3

Just bumping this 1 more time...by this time next week the marathoning will all be done.

If you haven't already signed up there are still 29 slots available! I know times are tough right now...but the $100.00 that each participant must raise/donate is a bargain for the great time that this event is.

Some of the reasons you don't want to miss this chance:

• You will be supporting a great cause it is a win-win situation! (Plus it is tax-deductible.)
  • You get the chance to meet fellow KIC members...which does make this board more interesting to read when you can put a face/personality to a name.
  • The Racer employees are a lot of fun cheering everyone on and trying to keep everyone entertained.
  • Free water.
  • A nice free t-shirt.
  • A free lunch in The (former) International Restaurant...always a good time.
  • The park goes above and beyond making everyone feel special for participating in this event.
  • A behind the scenes Beast tour after the marathoning.
  • Admission to the park.
  • Sing-a-longs on The Racer as you re-enter the station...and maybe even the hokey pokey.
  • And of course, rides on The Racer over and over and over and over...without ever having to get out of the train. (Unless you want to.)

I can't wait to see everyone again this year! :)

www.firstgiving.com/gktw/KingsIsland

• Like 2

I'll be there! As of today, I've got the minimum raised. It's my first year doing this, so I'm a little lost--do we just show up at the park between 7 and 8 am next Sunday, or is there something we have to do beforehand to indicate that we've got the minimum raised?

^ Awesome! Thanks, standbyme. I'm incredibly excited for Sunday... though not as much for the 5:30 wake-up time involved, haha.

5:30... you poor thing. I could roll out of bed at 7:45 and still make it there for the end of the sign-in. :P

I promise I won't do that though. I'm sure everyone will appreciate me waking up early enough to shower and get caffeine in me. No one wants to ride with a grumpy stinky Gator! :lol:

• Like 1