Coasting for Kids 2012

jcgoble3

I was hoping to have the money to make a few donations this week, but my budget unfortunately just didn't work out in favor of that. Hopefully I'll be able to make some donations next year when I'm not forcing myself to pinch pennies for a mega-vacation.

Stand up for myself? Against who? Myself? That's the one person I have trouble standing up against (maybe because I don't have a decent mirror). Seriously, I've been saving for this vacation since last June when the convention was announced, and I'm almost there. I should be able to relax my budget in July or August, but not yet. Considering that I've already paid nearly $2,000 that's non-refundable, I'm committed to paying for the rest of it. Next year will likely be a much cheaper and smaller vacation, and I'll make a point of budgeting $100 or so for CFK donations. I just can't do it this year.

See you (and everybody else on here that's signed up) Sunday as well! :)

I want to thank you all again for doing this - it's a great cause and as alumni of the benefiting charity it means a lot to my family. We're in the final stages of a Make A Wish fundraiser, so I won't be sponsoring anyone on this one, but we hope to slide into The Racer area Sunday and cheer you on a little bit.

$80k - great job everyone!

• Like 3

Don't forget to make your donation to Team KIC for Give Kids the World. Final counts for participants to see who hit the $75.00 minimum is at 12 noon on Friday. Donations can still be made after that time, but does not help people who did not hit the minimum. Visit the KIC page to donate! Thanks for your support!

http://www.firstgiving.com/process/teamarea/default.asp?did=1785&teamid=182053

• Like 1

I'll probably get there about at 7 when regestration starts. Will anyone else on here be there that early? And, will how should I let all you guys know i'm ohiocolts from KIC? i'm not going to ask everyone 'Hey i'm ohiocolts from KIC are you from KIC"? Anyway, can't wait to see you guys on Sunday! And, very impressed with the money we have raised! Kings Island participants have raised over $8,000 and Team KIC alone has raised almost $2,000!

Guest KingsIslandPR

We'll be sending out an e-mail tomorrow afternoon with details on parking, check-in & registration. The event will end with a behind the scenes tour of The Beast at 5:30pm.

All of the participants will be given a Coasting for Kids shirt in the morning to wear during the event. The shirt will serve as your identification for The Racer crew and marketing staff during the ride session, lunch and Beast tour. A group photo will be taken at the entrance of The Racer before the event begins.

On behalf of Kings Island, we again want to thank everyone for their participation and support.

• Like 2

And, will how should I let all you guys know i'm ohiocolts from KIC?

Everyone seems to hook up eventually. Moderator Jesse/Avatar will be there, he is very friendly and will help point out other members. (He has his photo as his avatar so you should be able to recognize him.)

Is anyone going to be doing Coasting for Kids anywhere else aside from KI?

I'll be doing it at Dorney, decided to do the event at a park I haven't been to.

There are actually a few people who used to/sometimes still do participate on KIC that will be at Dorney - DaveStroem, KICoastergirl, and MF2000CMH - Dave and family (wife & 2 girls), along with Chris are very nice people so find them and say hi.

I'll probably get there about at 7 when regestration starts. Will anyone else on here be there that early?

So far I plan on being there close to 7:00, but with the way I am in the morning my alarm may go off and I may think "just 5 more minutes" a few times.

And, will how should I let all you guys know i'm ohiocolts from KIC? i'm not going to ask everyone 'Hey i'm ohiocolts from KIC are you from KIC"?

Why not? :P But seriously, I was kind of thinking the same thing, but then I already know a few participants (Avatar, IndyGuy, standbyme, and jcgoble) and figured I didn't have to try to find something to wear with a gator on it or anything. But don't worry about it too much, somehow us KICers always seem to find each other, including the ones that haven't met the rest of us before. If you see a group of people together, chances are it's either us or Team TPR. All you need to do is look for us, we'll be the ones wearing Coasting for Kids shirts. :lol:

• Like 3

I want to try and get a team KIC group picture this year...

I think there's a better chance that the park will announce their decision for Son of Beast. ;)

We can put "Not pictured, Standbyme" :lol:

How do we want to do this? I'm bringing my camera for The Beast tour and might be able to scare up a tripod. If I can get (or borrow) a tripod and figure out the self-timer (which shouldn't be hard), I can take the shot. I'm thinking we should take the shot at the start of The Beast tour with The Beast lift hill in the background; that way we don't lose any riding time for it. Any objections to that?

standbyme, as for getting you into the shot, you wanna hide behind somebody and just stick your hand out and wave? :lol:

• Like 1

I figured we would work the details out once we know the agenda for the day. I was thinking before 9am on the midway in front of The Racer lift hill. I like you idea, and maybe we can do one over by Beast as well.

I did not remember seeing a Beast tour being a part of our day, but maybe I missed it.

Don has sent out emails with information. Here is kind of a schudele I thought of looking at the Email

7:15AM-7:45AM parking and registration

8:00AM-12:00PM Racer Marathon part 1

12:00PM-1:00PM Lunch in International restraunt and rewards for top 3 fundraisers

1:00PM-5:00PM Racer Marathon part 2

5:00PM-5:30PM Not sure, maybe a Diamondback ride or something?

5:30PM-Whenever Beast tour ends, Beast tour

Rest of day, for me chatting with KICers and riding some rides

10:00PM Beast night ride, not sure if this is still being provided, but if it is not I will get a night ride anyway

Details from the email I just received from Don:

• Check-in will take place between 7:15am and 7:45 at the front gate.
  • Guests arriving later than 7:45am will not be able to check in until 10:00am at The Racer.
  • Enter the park through 1 Team Way located off Western Row and park in the VIP parking lot located across from Human Resources.
  • All participants will be given a Coasting for Kids t-shirt which must be worn for identification purposes throughout the event.
  • A group photo will be taken in front of The Racer entrance before the event begins at 8:00am.
  • Photos will be taken from different areas of the ride between 8:00am and 9:00am. Please attempt to keep one train full during this time period.
  • Lunch will be served between 12:00pm and 1:00pm in the International Restaurant. Prizes for the top three (3) fundraisers will be awarded along with the introduction of the Gilkinson family.
  • Ride time on the Blue Racer for the event will end at 5:00pm.
  • A Beast tour will be available for Coasting for Kids participants at 5:30pm. Please be in the ride entrance plaza area at that time if you are interested in taking the tour.

I figured we would work the details out once we know the agenda for the day. I was thinking before 9am on the midway in front of The Racer lift hill. I like you idea, and maybe we can do one over by Beast as well.

I did not remember seeing a Beast tour being a part of our day, but maybe I missed it.

Beast tour is at 5:30 pm, per the above email. I'd rather not sacrifice ride time to do the photo, as I'm one of those that will probably stay on The Racer the whole time without breaks in order to get maximum laps. That's why I suggested doing it at The Beast tour.

Okay, I don't know Mason as well as I thought I did. Can someone explain to me how to "enter the park from 1 Team Way located off Western Row"? I know how to get to Western Row Rd., but Google says 1 Team Way is in front of Mason High School. I figure it won't be too hard to figure out where to park once I get there, but it's getting there that confuses me. (I want to assume Columbia Road is the same thing as 1 Team Way, but I'm afraid I'll get lost if I do so.)

Google's map of the parking lot, and especially the area where I assume we're entering, is out of date because it hasn't been updated for the Soak City revamp, which moved access roads around. I don't know where it is either, so I sent an email to Don asking him to clarify.

I'm still a little confused. Can we assume Columbia Road is 1 Team Way and enter on Columbia? Then drive across the SC parking lot and to Human Resources? Or should I just look for 1 Team Way across from Sunoco on Sunday? I know where Western Row and Sunoco are, just not exactly where to enter.

Can we assume Columbia Road is 1 Team Way and enter on Columbia? Then drive across the SC parking lot and to Human Resources?

That's my assumption, as that's where we entered last year.

Assuming that they didn't totally reconfigure this road in the Soak City revamp: Take the access road up until you reach a fork (last year it was just before a gate, which you can see on Google's outdated satellite view just behind the original wave pool, but that gate may have been moved or eliminated), take the right-hand side of the fork and go up to the checkpoint. You'll tell the security guard that you're there for Coasting for Kids, fill out a row on a form, and you'll be waved on through. Just before the road curves to the right into the backstage areas of the park, VIP parking will be on your left (it's only one row).

Again, that's assuming the basic layout of that road is still intact. I know it had to be rerouted around the new wave pool, so if they redid the rest of the road as well, that information may be wrong. Take it with a grain of salt.

Google Maps shows it as a continuation of Columbia Road, so yes, that is where you turn.

Don't trust Google Maps here. That access road had to be redone and rerouted around the new wave pool, and Google hasn't updated their maps yet.

A thing that I will add, is wow. The last couple of days, we have been crushing last years records, as Kings Island has now raised over $11,000, and all the Cedar Fair parks have raised more than $100,000. There has been an amazing last push these last couple of days.

Guest KingsIslandPR

This just in ... the KI Enthusiast Dude will be available to meet fans, sign autographs and pose for photographs during lunch in the International Restaurant.

• Like 1