Coasting for Kids 2012

jcgoble3

Those of you who are interested, mark your calendars for Sunday, June 10. That's a whole month and a half earlier than last year. The website is not up for registration yet, but the issue of Streak (GOCC newsletter) I received today had a card inserted in it with the date. I intend to be there, and I look forward to seeing other KICers there as well. :)

Last year's information page is here. This year's site isn't up yet, so it's not yet possible to register; when it does go up, you'll probably register through the link I just gave.

Last year, you had to pay a $40 registration fee to register (it's possible to get others to sponsor that fee if you want, like I'll try to do this year), and then raise at least another $35 to participate. There was officially a limit of 75 participants last year, but we only had about half of that. That may or may not be how it works this year; we'll have to wait for the 2012 version of the site to go live.

I'm finally able to do it this year! I got my issue of The Streak on Friday, saw the flier, and told Mrs. Gator not to plan anything for us that day. I was on vacation during Coasting for Kids the past two years, so I'm happy to finally be able ride for a good cause.

Looking forward to a fun day Gator!

^ I always got the impression that they chose The Racer so the rider capacity drop wouldn't be as noticeable, much like how Cedar Point's primarily relied on Gemini the years it's done CFK. Then again, Dorney and/or Worlds of Fun and/or Valleyfair (can't remember which) used their Morgan hyper for the event, so who knows.

Now that I think about it, it could also be the fact that those parks don't have racing coasters with one side to reserve for the event. In that case, I'd imagine those coasters probably have the highest capacities in each park, sort of like how Cedar Point's event last year also included Magnum for part of the day. So, I suppose Diamondback at least being included isn't totally out of the question.

I can not recommend this event enough...not only because of how much fun it is, but the charity that it helps out is excellent. Unless something unforseen happens I will be attending again this year. I hope that this year the event fills all the way up...it certainly deserves to.

I would like to thank the Kings Island for continuing to support this great cause! :)

Here is my trip report for last year's Coasting For Kids day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Two years ago after I did the event, I woke up the next morning and I was so sore! My legs, stomach everything was sore. Just from riding The Racer!

I was the same way last year. I could barely move the next morning, but it was so worth it.

Good thing I scheduled the day after off from work. Of course, I'm hoping to go to Indy the day after the event to see Roger Waters, as long as I'm not too sore to drive! :lol:

Got an email from Don about this year's event. Don confirmed that The Racer will once again be the "featured ride" and also said some "new things" will be incorporated, including behind-the-scenes tours and last ride of the night on The Beast. More details are still to come.

• Like 4

Got an email from Don about this year's event. Don confirmed that The Racer will once again be the "featured ride" and also said some "new things" will be incorporated, including behind-the-scenes tours and last ride of the night on The Beast. More details are still to come.

Thanks Jonathan! Was going to post that yesterday, and you beat me to it. I am really looking forward to the 2012 event!

I'm signed up! My fundraising page is here. I notice the registration fee has dropped to $25 this year instead of $40, but the minimum amount you have to raise beyond that has gone up to $75. I'm going to solicit donations from my bowling league over the next couple of weeks and see how much I can come up with from there.

EDIT: I also took the liberty of creating a team for KICers. Have fun!