Job4You at KI

xXDrummerKiDXx

Well since most of you have either worked at KI and/or have been there so many times, you know for a fact what job is meant for you. Which is my question:

At KI , what's the job for you? What job do you or would you desire? Give your reason.

Mine would have to be the person who says "All Clear". I love interacting with people. I'd be the person who likes to do Simon Says on an empty day!

When I first started working at Kings Island back in 1972, I was hired as a "litter gitter", as it was call back then. Now they are called sweeps and are in Ecology. Back in 1972, we were part of food services and our running joke was the only thing we had to do with food service was when we swept the food off the payment. I loved the job because we had the entire park as our work location. We are not confined to a specific small location and had the opportunity to meet and talk with the guests that we came in contact with. I loved having the area of the Eiffel Tower to clean. We would walk around the tower, clean underneath and back then, it was our job to go up into the top of the tower to clean and to climb up to the 50 foot level to clean. I remember during the Cincinnati Reds playoff in 1972, a guest had a "transistor radio and was listen to the ball game. It was a very close game and I kept cleaning in the same area that guest was sitting at. that area was the cleanest area in the entire park that hour! I worked in the Ecology department in the 70's, 90's and in 2005 in various positions within Ecology. it is a great job as each day was never boring and each day was different from the last. Once we started our shift, the next thing we knew it it was time to go home. Now I work in the Pet Care and looking after all the guests pets is very fun. I worked in Pet Care for two years in 95 and 96 and from 2007 to today. I always tell my cat, Corn Flake, if she wants to come with me to work and she just looks at me as if, "What" Do you think I am some kind of crazy??"

I really liked being the ride flunky in Coney Island. I know the Monster, by design, isn't the the safest ride to work, it surely is the heaviest to close, but I had fun.

I will always remember the Day that the Coney Island section was haunted by "The Blue Lady". To see the sheer panic of patrons trying to get away from her stillmakes me laugh.

Out of my 18 seasons working in various positions in Ecology, Call Center, Admissions, Pet Care, I would say that I love working in Pet Care. I get to interact with all the various dogs, and other animals we had as pets, and all my regular pet lovers that have pet care season passes for their pets, really like the way that I look after their beloved pets. I always welcome them back from the past season and they are glad to see me also. Besides guests bringing their dogs, we have had other pets also. In 1995, I had a guest that brought both of their pets, a dog and its best pal which was a goat. They were kept in the same cage and they had a blast. I also had a couple of ferrets in then same cat cage and they dined on cat food. The pet that was the rage at that time was a pot belly pig. Believe me, it was a porker and if he was a house pet, I hope they owned a furniture store. It was very stubborn and the owner was pushing it through the door and I said to the pig, "look, move or your are bacon!" But if you remember a few years ago during the Haunt, they had live pigs and goats in the meat packing haunt. They housed the pigs and goats in my pet care and as in the haunt, the place smelt like a barn!! The goats were ok but the pigs, well all they did was eat and what went in, went out. It took me several hours to clean it at the end of Haunt and the place smelt like a barn the rest of the haunt. I am looking forward to the 2012 season and welcoming back all the owners and their pets.

Out of my 18 seasons working in various positions in Ecology, Call Center, Admissions, Pet Care, I would say that I love working in Pet Care. I get to interact with all the various dogs, and other animals we had as pets, and all my regular pet lovers that have pet care season passes for their pets, really like the way that I look after their beloved pets. I always welcome them back from the past season and they are glad to see me also. Besides guests bringing their dogs, we have had other pets also. In 1995, I had a guest that brought both of their pets, a dog and its best pal which was a goat. They were kept in the same cage and they had a blast. I also had a couple of ferrets in then same cat cage and they dined on cat food. The pet that was the rage at that time was a pot belly pig. Believe me, it was a porker and if he was a house pet, I hope they owned a furniture store. It was very stubborn and the owner was pushing it through the door and I said to the pig, "look, move or your are bacon!" But if you remember a few years ago during the Haunt, they had live pigs and goats in the meat packing haunt. They housed the pigs and goats in my pet care and as in the haunt, the place smelt like a barn!! The goats were ok but the pigs, well all they did was eat and what went in, went out. It took me several hours to clean it at the end of Haunt and the place smelt like a barn the rest of the haunt. I am looking forward to the 2012 season and welcoming back all the owners and their pets.

Why would people bring their pets to Kings Island? I'm not saying this as an insult. I'm just curious. What kind of people use the Pet Care service? Is it like people who are traveling through the area, have pets and decide to stop at Kings Island for the day? This is interesting.

In our case, if we want to spend the whole day there, we don't want to leave our dog in a crate home alone all day, or if it's a hot day, and we don't want to leave him where we can't check on him. At Pet Care, you can walk in every few hours, give him lunch, walk him, etc.. I was shocked when I heard of one patron leaving her little dog in the car. Pet Care is air-conditioned, clean, and there's always someone there to keep an eye on them.

Some people vacation with their pets rather than leave them behind. Some families do the Griswald and hit a few destinations in two weeks time.

In my 6 seasons in the park (off and on) I worked in Food Service, Ride Operations, and Park Services.

While Rides was a lot of fun and I made a lot of friends, Park Services was the better department for me. Every day was a little different and the jobs are much different than eachother, whereas Rides they are all pretty similar.

As said before, working as a Ride Operator and working the control booth gets very repetitive at times.

In our case, if we want to spend the whole day there, we don't want to leave our dog in a crate home alone all day, or if it's a hot day, and we don't want to leave him where we can't check on him. At Pet Care, you can walk in every few hours, give him lunch, walk him, etc.. I was shocked when I heard of one patron leaving her little dog in the car. Pet Care is air-conditioned, clean, and there's always someone there to keep an eye on them.

Some people vacation with their pets rather than leave them behind. Some families do the Griswald and hit a few destinations in two weeks time.

You are so correct. We offer a season pass for your pet that can be used the entire season. it only costs $60, unless it changed for this year. We have a lot of guests that pay for this service and they do not want to leave their pet at home, where they don't have to worry about their pet messing things up or have health problems while gone. We have guests that are on vacation and they bring their pets with them and when they visit Kings Island, they bring them for me to watch out for them. I had a family from Canada that brought 3 of their dogs with them and they stayed for 3 days. We also have people that camp and they bring their pets for the same reason. They do not have to worry about leaving them in the car, or in the motel room. Depending on the size of the pet, they can leave them inside our "cat" room which is air conditioned. Or they can leave them outside under cover away from the sun. We have over head fans that circulates the air in the kennel. We make sure they have plenty of fresh water.