What is your Expirience on The BEAST?

mccarthysnerd

After I made the SOB expirience discussion I really liked to hear everyone elses opinion (expirience)

besides my own so I decided to make another expirience discussion for the Longest Wooden Roller Coaster

In The World: The Beast

What was your first thought after riding this wooden monster in the woods?

How many Times have you ridden it? Would You ride it again?

What was your whole ride like from start to finish?

Oh boy, you asked for it... :P

After being scared to death by The Racer way back in 2000, I was terrified of roller coasters for 9 years and would refuse to even ride some of the more intense carnival rides. However, in 2009, with the addition of Diamondback, I decided to give roller coasters another shot and we planned a trip to Kings Island. We arrived May 14th, 2009 around 10:30 AM. Little did I know, the 230' Diamondback would not be the highlight of the trip, as good as it was...(and still is)

After heading up the Eiffel Tower for some amazing views, we first tried the now-defunct Crypt (because it was raining and Beast was down), which (even though none of us knew it) was on its 2nd day of the "ultra-tame" ride cycle that the ride became lamented for during its final few years. While the ride, at first, caught me off guard and suprised me, it ended far too soon. I was dissapointed, and was a little worried that Kings Island might actually let me down. After leaving, the rain had stopped and Beast had re-opened. I entered, and smacked my sister with a q-line "gate" on accident. :blink: The Beast's crew was doing an excellent job getting people pumped up for what they claimed was the "best roller coaster in the world!". After a 25 minute wait, I boarded the ride..."Ok, here we go...a roller coaster..." The train left the station and around the turnaround. Thudthudthudthud..."Oh (Insert Curse Word Here) What Am I Doing!?! I'm on a HUGE wooden roller coaster! This might hurt..." Then, we began climbing the 110' lift hill...clankclankclankclank...to relieve some tension, I looked at my momma and cracked a joke: "Look ma, we're higher than da treez! :P " The ride reached the top of the hill, and one of the most famous images in all of coasterdom was before me:

beast_156.jpg

"Well, here goes no..." I couldn't finish because we began dropping! There is a trim brake on the first drop, but I didn't even feel it (In fact, I never have, even though I know it's there...) We hit the tunnel, and people were screaming, and I thought "Hey! This isn't so bad!". We dipped into a ravine, then back up, and flew into the brake shed, where I managed to catch my breath for a moment before the ride quickly turned again and darted into a tunnel. "Oh Man, this is a long tunnel!" I thought during that part of the ride...then, the ride exited into the daylight and made a few more downward turns into the woods before another lift hill emerged before us. We hit it, and I caught my breath again. My first thought "Momma, are you ok?". She said yes. My second thought was for a friend of mine who was also afraid of roller coasters, and he said he was loving it so far. So was I. Then my sister blurted out:

"You ain't seen nothing yet!" "Crud!" I thought.

Kings Island emerged in its glory, but I didn't get to view it for long before a 141' drop into a tunnel was smack dab in my face. The ride dived down, faster, faster, faster and into the darkness, where I was thrown around and the train began screaming as if it were trying to break free of the track. Then, we exited, and dove back in! All over again, and finally, the train calmly exited the second helix tunnel and turned right into a small drop, and then we hit the final brakes. "WOW!" I thought.

"Welcome back riders, how was your ride?" My response: "WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

After that, I took on Vortex, later Diamondback, and numerous other rides at Kings Island. That night, I returned to Beast with my friend and we took a night ride on the wooden monster that put even the ride I described a minute ago TO SHAME. I have been on The Beast 7 times, and all 7 of those rides have been memorable for one reason or another, but never because they were bad. I've since been to Holiday World as well, and rode their wooden coasters, and yes, they are great...in fact, at one point I had both Voyage and Legend ahead of Beast in my coaster rankings, but a stunning Halloween Haunt night ride changed that so Beast was #1 again. And it hasn't lost that spot yet. (Granted, I've only been to 3 parks total and there are some pretty epic looking rides out there I have yet to go on, such as El Toro @ SFGadv, Bizzaro @ SFNE, Millennium Force & Maverick @ CP, etc etc)

And I agree with KIFan73: I would go to Kings Island simply if Beast were the only ride/attraction there, no offense to Diamondback, Delirium, Flight of Fear, Vortex, Drop Tower, Racer, Flight Deck, etc etc. But, they are simply the cherry on top of a Beast sundae...MMMmmm...Beast sundae... :P

• Like 8

I give pitty to the one who marks a 1 to demolish The Beast...The best experience on The Beast would probably be 3 experiences which are 1. riding The Beast 15 times without anyone else in the front seat, during the fall 2. A night ride in the front seat during HH 3. the first time i ever rode The Beast there was a deer right next to the track, which was actually fun

I have ridden ir hundreds of times. The first was the most memorable, it was September '79 I was 18 and was with my girlfriend now wife, her sister and their niece. We got in line just before dark and rode after the parks closing time. The cars had the common lap bars no seat dividers or seat belts. We topped the first hill and all we could see was the tracks disappearing into a hole with a light next to it. This was the ultimate night ride as you had no idea what to expect since Kings Island stayed tight lipped and all you knew was what you saw from the park.

• Like 1

I absolutely love this coaster. It never gets old for me.

My favorite experience was, several years ago.

My last ride of the day is The Beast at night. It had been a hot and muggy day. The temperature had hovered around the 90s. My best friend and I got in line around 9:45, and it broke loose in a downpour. We waited out the rain and boarded around 10;30 The temperature must have dropped, because the fog was so thick, there was zero visibility (no kidding) Pitch black and thick fog. The Beast seemed to be in rare form, the speed seemed faster than I have ever experienced. When we hit the second lift hill, you could not even see the Eifel Tower. The Beast trains gained moumentum as it hit the double helix, it felt like the cars were gonna fly off the track.

That was my favorite experience on The Beast.

• Like 2

I have ridden The Beast many times and each time has been a memorable and enjoyable one.

One does stand out though, it was a night ride and I was in the first row. Never experienced anything like it before. Hurling through the darkness with nothing in front of you. There's usually a line for the front row, but the wait is absolutely worth it.

The first time I rode it, I just remember being proud that I finally "conquered" it, because until that day I was a total wuss when it came to coasters. The best ride I've ever had on it was a night ride several years ago, when I was still a teenager, and we dispatched out of the station just in time to enjoy the fireworks going off as we went up the lift hill.

These days I still enjoy it, but it's getting more bothersome to me in terms of roughness. I've found I prefer the front seat.

• 1 month later...

My First ride on The Beast was when i was six years old. it was back in 2005 and we rode racer and all other stuff but this was alot more memorable. we waited about 20 mins. they measured me but when they did i tip- toed so i could get on and they didnt notice so they let me on. and then i got on the train with my dad and i didnt know what was coming. so we went up the lift hill and dad said this is a good coaster so then..

bam down a hill to the tunnel which i still have a on-ride photo of. so then we go up a curve and out of the tunnel(I was screaming my head off) and into another drop into a brakeshed so i could catch a breath then down another curve into a scary tunnel which was very long then into anothe curve up a hill which made a clink clack noise and into a lift hill which went a lot faster up the hill and then i saw the thing that huge tunneled helix and before i knew it we were descending down. :blink::ph34r:

We went into a tunnel and i was screaming like no tommorow :o and i felt like if i raised my hands up i would hit the wood so then out of the tunnel up a curve then into another tunnel which felt more like i was going to hit the wood and out of the intense tunnels down a drop which now it seemed slower into the brake run when i got of the ride i didnt speak for 5 mins and then when my dad asked me how it was i said "That Was AWESOME!" i wanted to ride Son of Beast but they scared me out of it (i was upset i couldnt get on. :(

• Like 1

My first time on The Beast would've been in the early 80's. I was a Racer fan, had ridden The Bat and the Screamin' Demon but was still scared of The Beast. My aunt took me and I remember having to wait in line outside the station on the claw prints and down the little hill. I felt at the tender age of 5 or 6 that I was a very experienced and cool coaster rider. So when we went up the first lift hill and the cars stopped I suddenly thought we were going to start going backwards and started screaming my head off. My aunt actually put her hand over my mouth as she was so embarrassed. Then we got over the crest and I loved it. My aunt always knew which seats were the smoothest on the train for each coaster so I never remember a jerky ride on The Beast!

I have GOT to get to KI this summer and take on that Beast again.

• 2 weeks later...

2003-2004 was my first ride. I don't remember a whole lot. I rode The Racer for the first time the year before so I decided to try The Beast the year after (I wasn't ready for The Vortex yet). I remember the first hill, and the final helix. I remember plummeting into the tunnel after the second lift then getting thrown to the side which for me is still the best moment on any coaster.

• 1 month later...

The ride is wonderful, though I do wish that they had fans throughout the line and in the station. It gets quite hot when waiting in line, sometimes I skip the line just because no fans are in the queue. Those employees are amazing though, getting through the day with no fans and still being at their best! Don't know how they do it. Just imagine if the crew had fans?!

I rode The Beast for the first time in 1992. I grew up hearing about it, but my family just never went to the park. I was 19 in 1992, and it was just cool to experience something I had heard so much about for so long. It's still my favorite single attraction at Kings Island.

I actually think The Beast has a great theme…and kind of tells a story…which I think has contributed to its long-time success. It was built at about the time the "Friday the 13th" movies were out, and it has just always reminded me of being in the middle of a horror movie. You're walking into the woods into something you really can't see…

• Like 1

Back in 2006 my parents bought tickets to go to Kings Island for a day. The last time I had gone to the park was in 2000 when I was still a little kid. I'd spent most of the time in Hannah-Barbera Land running away from people in costumes. So when we arrived at the park I told my parents I wanted to go to the kiddie land. My dad looked at me and told me I was too old to go there and that we were going to ride the bigger coasters. My mom told him that we would go to the kiddie land so I could ride the smaller rides that I liked. Then after a few rides she told me that we were going to ride The Beast. I told her no and continued to ride the Fairly Odd Coaster for the rest of the day. Finally I came back to the park in 2008 with a friend. We rode Adventure Express and The Racer, before he told me we were going to ride The Beast. I walked over to the entrance and ducked under the height requirement sign telling him I was too small to ride. He came over slapped me and dragged me on the ride. After getting my head stuck between the wooden posts on the side of the queue, we finally made it to the station. We waited for the front seat and once we were dispatched I started having second thoughts. Going up the slow chain was the worst because it made more nervous that I already was. Finally we made it to the top and before I knew it we dropped. I screamed the whole ride and swore that I was going to kill him. But once I got off I knew I had a new hobby, riding coasters :) . I also rode Vortex for my first upside down coaster. When we were going through the loops I yelled out s*** about 5-6 times. The whole train was laughing. Ever since that trip I have been hooked on coasters.

• Like 2

• 4 years later...