SOB Wheels?

NoLimits8705

So Saturday me and my group went to PKI and we rode SOB. Everything was normal and fun, but when we hit the 2nd helix between the lift hill and first drop, the wheels made this really super loud screeching-like noise. Did anyone else hear that noise when they rode this weekend? It was a little scary because it happened again on the turn around before the brakes at the end. Anyone know why this is?

-RyRy-

Ps. The Star Search Show at 5 and 6 were so good, that boy that sung All or Nothing at teh 5 o'clock show made me so happy! He was a hottie..that show is good. I loved the cast(smal but hey...) They were so happy and coolios! GREAT JOB PEOPLE!! biggrin.gif

I`m assuming that screeching noise you are refering to is the side friction wheels. In short, it is the side friction wheels engaging the track on the side of the rails, in order to keep the train from sliding off of the track. Now, they might have been louder than normal if there was a lack of oil in that area of track. i do believe that PKI`s wooden coaster tracks are greased/oiled by hand. I remember during the Son of Beast Discovery Channerl photo shoot, that a maintenance work was greasing the turn from the transfer track into the station. Some wooden roller coasters has self-oiling trains. However, I don`t believe the ones at PKI are those types. Someone who works at the park might know more than I do on this subject though.

I wouldn't worry about the wheels squeaking. Have you ridden Mean Streak at Cedar Point in the last two years? The last two years that ride has been squeaking and making an awful loud noise. I am assuming that the ride is ok since the problem was not addressed.

You hear this screeching on a lot of woodies. This mainly only happens in places where the wheels are not rolling in a straight line. The metal wheels roll but are also turning left or right while the metal on the track is sitting still. Thus metal rubbing on metal..... load noises, and sometimes slower trains that get stuck.

Thanx guys(I am assuming you are welcoming me back?) and thank you to eveyrone who repsonded.

I never thought about the rain washing the oil off or anything. It really scared me and my friend though..lol...We thought it was breaking. However the ride was really smooth and not jerky that much. My friend and I were all excited, normally it gives us headaches, but no it was smooth and awesome. Thanx agin yalls

-RyRy- biggrin.gif

After 4 visits to the park this season, Son of Beast is the only major roller coaster that I have not riden yet this season. I don`t know why either. I was going to ride it during a gold pass ert session the other week, but it was waking up a little late, so I passed on it.

I haven't and more than likely won't ride it this year. Until I get proof that it's smoother I'll stay away. Well maybe I'll keep the camera at home and I'll ride it. Don't want it to get smashed like my legs.

• 2 weeks later...

all i know is that the screeching sounds so HORRIBLE when its coming into the staion from the brakes...oh my gosh it drives me insane by about the third or fourth hour...and yes i have heard that there isnt enough oil on the tracks tiny is correct in that aspect...i wish they would hurry up and fix it

• 2 weeks later...