40th Anniversary...how about a History of KI area?

RD Reynolds

Ok, it's the 40th anniversary (logo looks great BTW), so let's just throw it out there...why not have a small area of the park that has a history section? Could literally just be a room somewhere (hey, I hear there's a giant box out between Diamondback and The Beast not going to be doing much until Haunt, maybe there?), doesn't need to be huge or elaborate. Just have some pictures from the past, maybe old ride props, sound tracks from attractions no longer used? It wouldn't take much, and would be a huge thing from folks to appreciate all the park has done over the years.

Eh, who am I kidding? I just REALLY want to hear that old train sound track with the geezer saying, "There'll be no eatin', drinkin', or smokin' on this here train...we're goin' through some mighty nice country and wouldn't want to mess it up!" :)

the unloved "tower gardens" would be perfect for this. Get the water back and working, there's ample room to put up displays, signage, pieces of old rides, perhaps miniture mock ups of past rides or park layouts, etc.... How great would it be to see a model of the park when it first opened, another after The Beast went up, another when King Cobra was developed or Diamonback, water works, etc.. A mock up every decade seems about right, or perhaps timed around key attractions. Get some pieces up on The Bat and any old rides that have been removed for various reasons.

Absolutely. Though, it may create an uprising against the current state of the park!

Kidding.

Seriously though, i would totally visit a place like that in the park - something like Disney's version would be great:

http://disneyworld.d...one-mans-dream/

And sidle that building with one that showcases the current state of design, how they're making the park better, and future projects:

http://disneyland.di...lue-sky-cellar/

the old paramount story area would be perfect

This was my first thought, too!

the unloved "tower gardens" would be perfect for this. Get the water back and working, there's ample room to put up displays, signage, pieces of old rides, perhaps miniture mock ups of past rides or park layouts, etc.... How great would it be to see a model of the park when it first opened, another after The Beast went up, another when King Cobra was developed or Diamonback, water works, etc.. A mock up every decade seems about right, or perhaps timed around key attractions. Get some pieces up on The Bat and any old rides that have been removed for various reasons.

Yes, I think that the 'smoking' area that once housed the Mirthmobile would be perfect for displays like this. I think that even the most casual visitor to the park would get a kick out of it, not necissarily just the die hard fans. Love the idea of old park layouts, photos and maps that could be put up like the old Paramount posters, with little maintenance required. That waterfall area would be perfect for old ride pieces! I say a car from The Bat!

I love the idea, but I don't know if the cost would justify appeasing the "fan boys".

Appeasing "fan boys" rarely happens. Too often things (and/ or decisions) like this are harshly criticized by those who have personal feelings tied to the park.

Its not just the "fan boys" that would enjoy this, if done correctly. There are a lot of parents & grandparents that don't partake in all of the rides, and are sitting around waiting for others in their party to get done with the latest attraction. The Tower Gardens was once such a nice area and has a ton of potential as a meeting/waiting area. Put some kind of history in there, heck even add a "classic KI gear" store in there where you can by "The Bat" "I learned to drive on the Ohio turnpike " (or whatever the classic car ride was called) and "King Cobra" t-shirts, replicas of old park maps, classic photos, etc... and you've got a nicely themed area of the park that would be worth visiting. What percentage of the park visits the park every season, but only once or twice a year? It would be worth stopping by at least once. Change up the stuff in there every season, and now its a place worth checking out at least once a year. Its not something that will solely get someone coming to the park the way a new roller coaster would, but if done right it could greatly enhance the experience of the average visitor, allowing them to connect with their past. Sell a few tshirts and old maps and you might actually make money off the thing. Get a grandparent that has spent the day taking their 5 year old from columbus or lexington on boo blasters and The Beastie to spend a few minures reliving the past with their grandchild explaining all the rides they used to conquer as a child, and maybe you get that 5 year old to start bugging their parents for a season pass and regular visits down the road.

The park has 40 years of memories, most wonderful, with strong ties to people of all ages. People rarely complain about a trip down memory lane, capture it and sell it. At the least, do something with the tower gardens, its such an eye sore, and as a smoking designated area, my regular wednesday evening trips last year rarely found many smokers hanging out around the leaf filled, dryed up water feature.

• Like 1

Again, it doesn't have to be something big. Like I said, take the Skyline restaurant on IS, put up some photos, some old ride pieces. Run the video like someone suggested. It would take literally a day or two to put something in there, and the cost would be very, very minimal.

honnestly I'd love to see something like this. my first thought was Why not Tower Gardens? they havent done anything with that area since paramount sold the park except make it one huge smoking area. wich i hardly see used when im at the park just about every day. some days yeah people will actually go to the area but most days its empty

Off my head there are over 5 things the could have 1 a car from the sob 2 a phantom theater character 3 a Boomerang Bay sign 4 The Bat sign 5 the Crocodile dundee voice in Boomerang bay. Also, the Tower Gardens area is a very great idea for this kind of area, but the smoking might need to go for the most attendance in the area.

Back in 1992, the park set up a walk-through on the site of Skylab (which had been removed). As best as I can remember, you basically took a lap around the concrete circle that the ride occupied. There were signs marking major milestones, along with pictures. It was cheap and tasteful at the same time.