Must see drop tower video (not the one at Kings Island)

I thought there was a buckle that went between your legs and fastened the shoulder harness in case of an event like this. I'm talking about DT of course not the tower in this video, which there appears to be no safety harness. This kind of failure has always been in the back of my mind about the Diamondback... :( with sooo much airtime there is no way possible you could hang on if it happened.

Pretty scary stuff. That's the kind of thing that everyone fears with that style of restraint, and to actually see it happening makes it even scarier. But at the same time, I don't think I've ever actually felt "unsafe" on a ride, and I don't think this changes anything for me.

I thought there was a buckle that went between your legs and fastened the shoulder harness in case of an event like this. I'm talking about DT of course not the tower in this video, which there appears to be no safety harness. This kind of failure has always been in the back of my mind about the Diamondback... :( with sooo much airtime there is no way possible you could hang on if it happened.

Diamondback does have redundant hydraulic systems that keep the lap bars locked. Accidents like this are few and far between, and don't happen often at parks that are as mandated and controlled as the parks in the U.S. (and especially in Ohio). Here, what would be considered a "recommendation" from the ride's manufacturers is legally a mandate. When the creators of Racer suggest that all of their roller coasters across the nation run forwards only, in Ohio, there is no choice.

B&M chose that restraint system and in Ohio, every specification that they "recommended" became fact. Cedar Fair is also famous for their redundant safety systems (for example, an over-the-shoulder restraint and a seatbelt. On Backlot Stunt Coaster, they previously counted the door as a safety system, so when it was removed, a seatbelt was added). Basically at a Cedar Fair park in Ohio, you can feel very much assured that you are being taken care of.

On Tower of Terror, you have one seatbelt. No bar to hold on to in front of you, no over-the-shoulder restraint to grip... Just one single seat belt. And at times, a sinister bell hop will mention that, should a sibling annoy you, you can "push their red eject button," speaking of the button that keeps the seat belt in place. Of course, the computer locks the belt when the ride begins the cycle, but I still don't think such a suggestion (even joking) would fly at a Cedar Fair park.

^ (Not meaning to sound like a know-it-all, but...) Unless you're joking, there's more to it than that. By your logic, feathers and falling stars fall at the same "rate".

Maybe it's me, but I find this sort of thing absolutely terrifying. I've always disliked Drop Towers (with the exception of Demon Drop, for some reason), and the idea of falling out of one is got to be one of the scariest things imaginable. In this case, it seems like Hopi Hari is at fault for improperly maintaining the ride, as many articles point out that this specific seat hadn't been used for something around a decade because they couldn't get it to work properly. Something changed, and someone was allowed to ride...

Kinda makes you appreciate Cedar Fair's seatbelts after all that.

In this case, it seems like Hopi Hari is at fault for improperly maintaining the ride, as many articles point out that this specific seat hadn't been used for something around a decade because they couldn't get it to work properly. Something changed, and someone was allowed to ride...

Ugh, that is so sad. I can't believe that after all that time, they'd try to use that seat!

I would NOT ride Drop Tower if there were no seat belts. I wouldn't imagine the feeling of the bars coming up a bit when you dropped. That seatbelt adds that extra safety.

I agree! No way would I get on that thing without the sound of that little seatbelt clicking together!

On Tower of Terror, you have one seatbelt. No bar to hold on to in front of you, no over-the-shoulder restraint to grip... Just one single seat belt. And at times, a sinister bell hop will mention that, should a sibling annoy you, you can "push their red eject button," speaking of the button that keeps the seat belt in place. Of course, the computer locks the belt when the ride begins the cycle, but I still don't think such a suggestion (even joking) would fly at a Cedar Fair park.