Okay this is crazy hope I was not dreaming, I do know north of Cincinnati zoo near Kings Island the Zoo has plenty of land, donated some by marge schott ( the first woman to own not only the reds but a baseball team) Yeh! God love her for her Zoo donations. Well my question I thought the cincinnati news agenicies released pictures and or an article about the zoo building a safari / tram type ride.

My question does anyone remember this?

Is the land near Kings Island?

Just a wondering:

Have a great day:

Are you referring to the old Safari Monorail that Kings Island had?

When Kings Island initially opened there was plans for the Wild Animal Habitat and Lion Country Safari. It opened in 1974 and featured animal exhibits, shows and monorail that took you around the various attractions. The monorail last ran in 1992 I think and the cars were on site until 1998 when they moved to Jungle Jim's. That store now runs the monorail during special events.

See: http://www.KICentral.com/history/monorail.php

JungleMono_01.jpg

Somewhere around here, TombRaiderTY did an AWESOME write up about the attractions history.

As far as Marge Schott goes, I haven't heard anything about some land she donated. Did she donate land originally when Kings Island planned this attraction?

From what I've heard recently, the zoo has no plans to open up this kind of attraction either at their current location or anywhere else. However, the Zoo did partner with KI back in the day when the WAH was open.

Thanks for the monorail information, of course but I think the zoo had an article that it was a possibilty to build a attraction north near Kings Island. Of course with the world class and ever growing Colombous zoo and fun parks, golf courses I doubt it.

Time will tell,

Yeah, the topic is linked a few posts up. You can't read the article because it's now a pay article located within the depths of the Enquirer's wonderful archives full of great journalism.

Anyone know if they ended up making it a breeding ground or why the land was donated in the first place?

Are you referring to the old Safari Monorail that Kings Island had?

When Kings Island initially opened there was plans for the Wild Animal Habitat and Lion Country Safari. It opened in 1974 and featured animal exhibits, shows and monorail that took you around the various attractions. The monorail last ran in 1992 I think and the cars were on site until 1998 when they moved to Jungle Jim's. That store now runs the monorail during special events.

See: http://www.KICentral...ry/monorail.php

JungleMono_01.jpg

Somewhere around here, TombRaiderTY did an AWESOME write up about the attractions history.

As far as Marge Schott goes, I haven't heard anything about some land she donated. Did she donate land originally when Kings Island planned this attraction?

From what I've heard recently, the zoo has no plans to open up this kind of attraction either at their current location or anywhere else. However, the Zoo did partner with KI back in the day when the WAH was open.

I had know idea that monarail was used at Kings Island! I've seen it a lot at Jungle Jims, never would I know that was at KI.

Yeah, the topic is linked a few posts up. You can't read the article because it's now a pay article located within the depths of the Enquirer's wonderful archives full of great journalism.

Anyone know if they ended up making it a breeding ground or why the land was donated in the first place?

I've always heard of it as a breeding ground. Dunno how accurate it is though

I've always heard of it as a breeding ground. Dunno how accurate it is though

Yep, it's an off-site breeding facility. This isn't unheard of in the zoo world.

My favorite story about Marge Schott...apparently she was at some big GOP fund raising dinner and was seated at a table with former President Gerald Ford. According to the story, Ford was turned talking to someone else at the table when Marge hit him on the arm and said "watch my purse, would ya honey?"

Granted, it's more entertaining if you imagine it with the heavy smoker's voice :-)

• Like 1