The Beach Closing after 27 Years

Heard word this morning through some friends that The Beach is officially closing. Rumors had been going around throughout the winter that they wouldn't reopen this season and that they were up for sale. Just a few weeks ago they had radio advertisements for their job fair and informed returning employees that rehire info would be out soon.

http://warrencounty.fox19.com/news/news/87908-beach-waterpark-closing-2012-season

Their website is still advertising all that stuff and registering for swim lessons, so this must have been a really recent decision. This is sad though. I don't always want to have to pay to stay at Great Wolf, or Pay to go to KI just to have some water fun. Hopefully someone will buy it, improve it, and open it again.

Really kind of surprising. They cited "changing patron entertainment habits" as part of the reason for the closure, as well as the fact that the park was operating at a loss for several seasons. I think part of their problem was lack of any new attractions to market. They had kind of stagnated the last few years. And I`m sure that Kings Island`s water park expansion didn`t help.

This is the second local water park to close. Some may remember Surf Cincinnati. Now, the only ones that are left are Kings Island`s and Coney Islands water parks, and the two indoor water parks, Coco Key and Great Wolf Lodge.

I find it odd they cited changing patron entertainment habits. Holiday World`s Splashin` Safari seems to be doing quite nicely, and there has been a lot of expansion in the indoor water park arena in the last decade. That too, could have hurt The Beach, with the Great Wolf Lodge so close by.

I wonder if anyone will step forward to purchase the park, or if it will just sit dormant.

The park sits on 35 prime acres right across from KI with access to 71. I would think a hotel or some other retail development will come along at some point if the price for the land is right. My guess is the owners of the park will try and sell the land to pay back whatever debts they owe. As I recall, Surf Cincy was located in a much less desireable part of town, so that's probably why noone ever stepped forward. In real estate terms, the highest and best use of the land is probably not as a water park.

• Like 1

Sounds like a save the Beach campaign. I sure hope someone step forwards, they could run a monorail from KI Soak City to the Beach!!! ha pipeline dream.

Yes its interesting now coney and Ki are the only surviving outdoor parks, and funny that KI built everything like sand volleyball the year of the beach closing.

Sometimes families that go once or twice a year somewhere don't have the money for a KI type place, the beach was a great alternative.

I will not disagree that new attractions /expansions/ may have helped. But my opinion for what its worth is COCO KEY, and the much larger Great wolf mason/Kings Island contributed to this down fall to some degrees, they are new refreshed parks, I love Great Wolf, and yes even coco key has some limited day passes.

Plus Great wolf some patrons bring there own cold cuts run to Mcdonalds, speedway for a bit less of a meal. Really if you get a nice hotel room at Great wolf and one big meal you can really enjoy the place with year round 365 days comfort.

Oh well

RIP for now the beach please hopefully it does not turn out like Surf cincinnati.

Don Helbig and Cedar Fair KI staff , some how try to save the experience over there, Ki always wanted a 2nd charged gate???/

Bring it up to Cedar Fair standards, and it could be a win win.....

Who knows what will happen but we do know Cincinnati/Miami Valley lost something today from the beach winter thing that was lost already, to a park, dive in movies, real sand a catch theme song, a good name low prices.

If someone did buy it to operate it add some attractions make the place something like a blizzard beach from disney (of course with out the characters).

Good luck to the Beach,

thanks for the memories:

I wonder if the downward trend really started with Boomerang Bay in 2004. Since then, a Gold Pass has really had a lot of value. The new KI waterpark expansion may have just been the nail in the coffin.

I was thinking the same thing.

I certainly hope this does not open the door for seperate admission for SC.

• Like 1

^^ That was my thought exactly when I heard this Browntggrr.. with the competition gone, Kings Island no longer has to advertise the water park as an addition to the Kings Island experience to compete with the Beach for patrons. I guess we will see how it unfolds in the future. Sad to see The Beach go though. I was not a big fan of the park, but competition is never ever a bad thing.

although I don't really see it happening, I would be all for KI somehow making what was The Beach apart of their family. whether that be with a shuttle or teleportation :rolleyes:

430399_291122574290482_123621931040548_711967_558611539_n.jpg

I don't think one of those would fit on the road.

doesn't have to fit on the road, we just need some airspace ;)

If anyone remembers......

A few years ago I posted that too many water parks were opening in Ohio and any economy can't support that many. Why, look at Sadausky Ohio - Kalahari is expanding - so what's gonna happen to the other 6 or 7 water parks around there?

Co idzie wokół przybywa wokół (Polish)

Separate admission could be a bit difficult to do considering the train... Putting an admission gate at the watermark train station entrance would be easy, but they'd have to do waterproof handstamps at the Rivertown station or something to get people back into the dry park.

Voted BEST privately owned waterpark in the country by Aquatics International 2010!

Judge's comment: "The park has all the bells and whistles that waterpark visitors hope to find."

The Beach Waterpark continues to be one of the premier travel destinations in the Midwest. Whether guests seek thrilling water slides or a relaxing tropical island experience The Beach Waterpark offers something for every age and interest.

The Beach Waterpark is located in Mason, Ohio, 25 minutes north of Cincinnati or south of Dayton off of I-71. As a tropical themed adventure for the whole family and the largest stand alone waterpark in Ohio, The Beach is situated on 35 acres of rolling wooded terrain that provides lots of shade and lush ambiance. Real live palm trees, Real white ocean sand, Real waterfalls and crashing waves help set the scene. Live Surf Rock, Salsa and Reggae music reinforce the tropical island experience.

Considering that the water park has always been included with the KI admission, I'm not sure how easily they could suddenly convert it to two separate parks, especially with the train and keeping track of which parks you paid for. Granted, CP has done this for years, but from what I can tell, CP and their Soak City aren't really as "connected" as KI and its Soak City is.

In 2013 they wouldn't with the Season Pass holders, unless they added a bunch of stuff.

It is interesting that the new entrance sells tickets, another perk the season pass holders lost.

But for most day trip enthusiasts they will still go to dry side i'm sure.

IMO I think many on here are over thinking the complexity of making SC a seperate attraction/charge. I believe that there are few hurdles that must be overcome but some that could easily be figured out before the 2013 season. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if KI officials start discussing this option as early as next week if they haven't already started.

They could get away with it if they priced things appropriately. Basically, keep two-park admission/passes priced like they currently are, then offer lower-priced options for admission/passes to just the main park or just the water park. They would have to focus mainly on the lower-priced single-park options though, and charge the typical "dry park only" rate during the parts of the season when SC is closed, but with enough effort the might be able to pull it off.

The park sits on 35 prime acres right across from KI with access to 71. I would think a hotel or some other retail development will come along at some point if the price for the land is right.

While it seems as though it should be a desirable location, in reality - there is lots of available space off this 71 exit that has not been successful for businesses and that has not been easy to sell (the old College football HOF, the old Outlet Mall, the theater, the "available" farmland). Unless someone decides they can do better than the prior beach owners - expect Ronny/QCD to be doing a sad, deteriorating waterpark photo essay in a few years.

With the right public/private partnership, the area could be vital again. No doubt any developer will be looking for some nice tax incentives and/or infastructure improvements from the City of Mason if they do choose to develop a portion of the property. As to the slides, I'm sure there will be a market for some of them in other parks across the country/world that could at least give the park owners a shot of short-term cash.

I don't think this is as legistically taxing as you are all making it sound.

There used to be an admissions booth right next to the train station, not saying that's what they'd do, but it's always an option.

Cedar Point's Waterpark is completely disconnected, but the entrance is only about 100 yards away from the Magnum Entrance to the park.