The Beach Closing after 27 Years

I think any changes to a 2 gate system would risk alienating their massive Gold Pass customer base. Remember that they tried to make Halloween Haunt a separate gate charge and it was strongly opposed. It's only worth it if you can make more money. How many pass holders will they risk losing to do it?

Man its depressing to see these parks go, Boomerang Bay and Beach, all good parks, to live throught our memories r.i.p. Beach, although your slides had some water and made me get stuck inside the water coaster i still will miss you.

Yes the beach is good alternative , but lookig at the figures 15000 jobs over 27 years, thats about 555 a year,

then 7 million people--That is averaged to about 259,000 a year.

I'm sure a lot of them for the Holiday fun too.

Yes on the ramp it seems Bob Evans does the best.

Who knows what would go in there, if you look at the signs there has been land for sale too for years.

I think Soak City could be a second gate in 2012 if the park acts quickly. Obviously, it would be best to honor all 2012 season passes for both parks (as well as advanced tickets already ordered).

Anyone presenting a valid two-park ticket or season pass at the train station gate could receive a plastic wristband upon entry. This wristband would allow re-entry into both parks.

Hoepfully the people who already bought passes get a refund.

LOL, this is the year my friend gets a pass for the beach.

They posted on Facebook that season pass holders should email them at thebeachwaterpark@northlich.com with your contact information and the number of passes purchased and management will get in touch.

the west side of the interstate exit at one time included much grander plans than what we see today...

The Beach had really deteriorated over the last few years- the grounds were not as manicured as they once were- and I agree with Mr. Bombay... nothing new in the last decade, I think- lent itself to a decline. As far as things finding their way to KI (or other)- the tubes above are pretty old- and the really unique slides are cement and follow the ground. It's VERY unfortunate- but I can only see bull-dozers in the future.

That's a shame. It's always looked like a neat place as I go by on my way to KI. Unfortunately, when I'm making the trip, the choice has always been between that or Kings Island...well, you can probably guess which one always wins.

Wow, I'm glad I went this summer. In my opinion, I really enjoyed the Beach. When I went, the park seemed really clean, and the attractions there were quite fun. The tube slides in the ground were really unique, and I would love for something like that at Soak City. I'm sad to see it go, as I was looking forward to going a second time.

There used to be an admissions booth right next to the train station, not saying that's what they'd do, but it's always an option.

I'm not sure what you're referring to as being an admissions booth near the train station. Having worked in Admissions for 10 years ('95-'04), 9 of those in management, and also having worked in WW for a little while my first year at the park (1989), we never had an admissions booth at the train station in that time. There was never a need for one since WaterWorks/Boomerang Bay was always included with park admission, so one was never built.

If you are referring to the first building on the left just inside the train station entrance (across from the store and next to the food stand), that building was the original location of Guest Relations (which moved to the season pass entrance when that was added), and also housed (and still does) First Aid. It was not used for Admissions.

Now, for those of you who are my friend on Facebook, forgive me for repeating below what I said there; there are others on here who haven't seen it.

I'm not really surprised that The Beach is closing. Back in '96 when KI announced that they were adding a wavepool, I predicted that The Beach would only be open for another 5 years tops. I was about a decade early in that prediction. I guess it took KI adding a second wavepool, not to mention a new indoor waterpark in the immediate vicinity, to finally do it in.

But my biggest question is, now where can I take an unexpected swim in the middle of winter when my paddleboat sinks? (http://www.KICentral...06)

Universal & Disney allow you to "park hop" based on the ticket option purchased. I'm not sure how Disney is handling the tech for this now, but Universal uses a biometric (fingerprint) scan. I see no reason by KI couldn't employ a similar system.

Also, if the rumors are to be believed, Universal is working on a new Harry Potter attraction at USF (in the old Jaws area) that will be attached via train attraction to the Potterland in IOA. It could be a similar scenario with Soak City nd the main park...there's lots of things that can be done.

I hate to see this, but really I wondered why they opened there to begin with. I had an inkling things were bad when they cancelled the winter program. Personally I am going to miss the palm tree that was always planted at the entrance. I don't know if anything could survive there, but the strip doesn't need another hotel or eatery.

Before I went to bed last night I read somewhere that the city of Mason was going to do all they could to help the beach with this unfortunate event. Keep in mind, this is the same council who tried to sneak that insidious admission tax 2 years ago. In all fairness, the putz who did this is no longer on the council, but costs of doing business are destroying many industries.

Edited by windshawne

As I recall, Surf Cincy was located in a much less desireable part of town, so that's probably why noone ever stepped forward. In real estate terms, the highest and best use of the land is probably not as a water park.

Surf Cincinnati was located in a suburban area along the northern stretch of I-275, so it wasn't so much a "less desirable" part of town, but however, a bit off the beaten path, as it was at the end of a cul-de-sac in a commercial/industrial district of Forest Park. That, and they hadn't really kept the place in great shape the last several years it was open.

Now Surf Cincinnati was a staple for my mom and I. Even my swim team had our Summer Parties there. On Monday's when admission was cheaper if you lived in Pleasant Run Farms or belonged to our swim club I can't remember which one it was, but we'd go almost every Monday! Too bad they closed. I had always heard that once a lot of dead animal bodies showed up in the bumper boat pool was when they started to close....

A friend and I went there right after graduation... in 1987. Had a great time. Couldn't afford to go across the Interstate to enjoy a new six-inversion coaster at the time. I thought the waterpark would be there forever. Well, 27 years is a good run, I guess. I had hoped to go back again once more in my lifetime; perhaps with the kids... now, that one trip in '87 will have to remain the only one of my lifetime.. barring new ownership, I guess. :(

I even went to surf when it became Caddys night / swim club it was cool, it is just sad to see that both parks have closed surf and now beach . I think Cincinnati could handle another one, at one time the Beach was years ago going to possibly build a park in NKY they were so good.

The beach owners I applaude for keeping it going this long, with flat profits, they made every effort to get more financing, its ashame . The owners are even going to keep the maintenance up this coming year so we shall see if they can get a partner or some help.

Coney North? Coney tried that with Americana.

The kalhari south no way we could not handle another in door in the cincinnati market???

Time will tell.

I really hope it opens again in the future by new owners. But I truthfully I dont see it happening. To much competition across the street. When The beach Opened there was no water park at Kings Island,

Last time I went to The Beach was back in 2003 and it seemed very busy the day I went, and that was a week day.

just a shame, very bummed. I was looking forward to taking my kids there one day. Its sad to see a place go that you have many memories at.

Wow, sad to to hear this news. I have many great memories of The Beach as a grade schooler and had looked forward to going back someday. I had heard it'd been going downhill but I didn't realize how much. It was always my favorite water park, even over Surf Cincinnati, which was very close by and frequented by me and my family.

I would love to see it reopen in the future/be bought by someone else, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Yes the beach is good alternative , but lookig at the figures 15000 jobs over 27 years, thats about 555 a year,

then 7 million people--That is averaged to about 259,000 a year.

I'm sure a lot of them for the Holiday fun too.

Yes on the ramp it seems Bob Evans does the best.

Who knows what would go in there, if you look at the signs there has been land for sale too for years.

that land belongs to the beach

they are currently only using 35 acres what they didnt say was that there is about another 50-75 acres that is grass land very possibly to make bigger or better than Soak City if the right buyer wanted to.