The Beach Closing after 27 Years

that land belongs to the beach

they are currently only using 35 acres what they didnt say was that there is about another 50-75 acres that is grass land very possibly to make bigger or better than Soak City if the right buyer wanted to.

What makes you say this land belongs to the beach? A quick search of Warren County Property Records indicates the 44.8 acre vacant parcel directly adjactent to the Beach is owned by 'Kings Mills Farms' not 'The Beach at Mason' which owns the Beach parcel. Not saying it doesn't go back to the same people, but I'd have assumed different ownership.

There used to be an admissions booth right next to the train station, not saying that's what they'd do, but it's always an option.

I'm not sure what you're referring to as being an admissions booth near the train station. Having worked in Admissions for 10 years ('95-'04), 9 of those in management, and also having worked in WW for a little while my first year at the park (1989), we never had an admissions booth at the train station in that time. There was never a need for one since WaterWorks/Boomerang Bay was always included with park admission, so one was never built.

If you are referring to the first building on the left just inside the train station entrance (across from the store and next to the food stand), that building was the original location of Guest Relations (which moved to the season pass entrance when that was added), and also housed (and still does) First Aid. It was not used for Admissions.

Now, for those of you who are my friend on Facebook, forgive me for repeating below what I said there; there are others on here who haven't seen it.

I'm not really surprised that The Beach is closing. Back in '96 when KI announced that they were adding a wavepool, I predicted that The Beach would only be open for another 5 years tops. I was about a decade early in that prediction. I guess it took KI adding a second wavepool, not to mention a new indoor waterpark in the immediate vicinity, to finally do it in.

But my biggest question is, now where can I take an unexpected swim in the middle of winter when my paddleboat sinks? (http://www.KICentral...06)

I was lumping Guest Relations as a part of Admissions. Should have been more clear.

Guest TombraiderTy

Some friends and I rented an airplane back in October 2009 and flew over different area attractions, including The Beach. The original plan for these pictures never came to fruition, so they've been sitting on my computer for nearly two-and-a-half-years. I guess it's about time I actually post and share them somewhere.

Just a heads-up, the majority of the photos were taken through an airplane window and were zoomed-in. They're far from professional, but the angle is unique. Please don't post elsewhere or use publicly without permission.

1.jpg

As it was just past mid-October by the time we took flight, the park was closed for the year.

2.jpg

3.jpg

If you look closely, you can see some of the Christmas decorations on the park's sign and on The Cliff (prior to its repainting)

4.jpg

5.jpg

The small pool at bottom right was once an adults-only area, which I'm sure was a nice feature.

6.jpg

Near the park's parking lot are slide pieces, log flume boats, and miscellaneous other items.

7.jpg

Final overview.

I only visited the park every few years and didn't care for it too much, but it was still a nice water park with some nice slides and activities. It'll be interesting to see how its absence affects other area attractions.

6.jpg

The slide parts in this photo are The Jet Stream (black) and Zuma Falls (tan), both bought from the Wyandot Lake auction. Were these ever erected? Zuma Falls was rather weak, but The Jet Stream was pretty intense.

They were in fact the rides from Wyandot, but they were never erected at The Beach.

Had the beach bought a log flume or were they planning some expansions.

As pointed out above, those were two used water slides from another park. The Beach never did install them.

I'm truly saddened about The Beach going down. Had a few friends who worked there and loved it. CoastersRZ and I had lunch the other day and we had both heard that the park was for sale. My guess is, they were planning to open this year in hopes that some sale was going to go through. The abrupt closure seems to me that whatever deal or sale they had planned fell through.

Poor Beach, couldn't make her ends meet.

- Gordon Bombay who was hoping to see JGC96 back in town.

Kings Island EXTENDS SPECIAL TRIAL OFFER TO 2012 BEACH WATERPARK PASSHOLDERS

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/article/media-center/Kings-Island-extends-special-trial-offer-to-2012-Beach-Waterpark-passholders

Beach season passholders can use their passes visit Kings Island for free on one day and upgrade for $49.99. Sad to see the Beach close, but this a smart strategy by KI I think to gain some new passholders, possibly for years to come.

Looks like the second wave pool (and new path connecting the former Snowy River Rampage to the former Jackeroo Landing) will be put to good use with the larger crowds set to flock to Wet Willie's Water World now that it's not-quite-next-door-but-still-relatively-close neighbor has unfortunately gone into retirement.

What I don't understand is if they want to sell the passholders of the Beach on the all-new Soak City, why not give them a free day when Soak City will actually be open? The passholders have 2 days to use the pass with Soak City Open... I understand they are likely trying to (a) bring in guests during a slower time to boost attendance and (B) really hoping to get some converts and sell a bunch more season passes, but give them more time to try out the waterpark...

http://masonbuzz.com/2012/03/15/the-beach-season-pass-refunds-up-in-the-air/

Some people still aren`t thrilled with the Kings Island offer, and want to get their money back. At this point, there is no decision on if money will be refunded for passes that were already purchased.

And Gordon Bombay, we definitely need to grab lunch again sometime, especially when we both have more time to talk! I really enjoyed catching up!

Guest KingsIslandPR

What I don't understand is if they want to sell the passholders of the Beach on the all-new Soak City, why not give them a free day when Soak City will actually be open? The passholders have 2 days to use the pass with Soak City Open... I understand they are likely trying to (a) bring in guests during a slower time to boost attendance and ( B) really hoping to get some converts and sell a bunch more season passes, but give them more time to try out the waterpark...

The opportunity to get a 2012 Gold season pass ends May 28. If a Beach season passholder were to visit after that date, they would not be able to get a pass with all the perks like free season-long parking, discount offers on meals and merchandise, and early ride times and entry into Soak City.

The Jet Stream was pretty intense.

Maybe KI should "borrow" Jet Stream's pieces and add them into Soak City? Or maybe some of the other attractions from The Beach could be used for this purpose. I think that even though KI just expanded their waterpark, maybe we could see further expansion in coming years because of this development?

Also, from the Enquirer article, I inferred that The Beach would try to be open in Summer 2013. Any truth, or just a rumor?

Guest rcfreak339

The Jet Stream was pretty intense.

Maybe KI should "borrow" Jet Stream's pieces and add them into Soak City? Or maybe some of the other attractions from The Beach could be used for this purpose. I think that even though KI just expanded their waterpark, maybe we could see further expansion in coming years because of this development

Also, from the Enquirer article, I inferred that The Beach would try to be open in Summer 2013. Any truth, or just a rumor?

After almost 4 years of sitting and rotting I doubt those pieces are even worth salvaging.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10150739180360560&id=293964845559

The Beach has announced eight deals available to season pass holders. Only two of those (the KI ticket and the Coney Island tickets) are actually free; the others are only discounts. They also confirmed in the same post that there will be no refunds. Response in the comments is unanimously negative, with many people talking about the possibility of a class action lawsuit.

Even when I lived in Ohio, I can honestly say that I never even thought about visiting The Beach. This statement holds true only for visiting the park during the summer months. I made a handful of visits to the park during it's Holiday Fest run. During the summer, I always went to K.I. for Water Works instead. Then Boomerang Bay. I kind of wish that I had taken the time to visit the park at least Once now. It's sad to see it go, as it is just another sign of government and the economy killing jobs.

Most of the wave pools are site specific. There is no value in moving a concrete slab to a new site.

Its unfortunate that pass holders to The Beach will not get their money back. At least some businesses are offering to step in and offer free admission. Obviously, the goal there is for those businesses to try and secure new customers

At least some businesses are offering to step in and offer free admission. Obviously, the goal there is for those businesses to try and secure new customers

But most of them are not offering free admission. They are offering discounted admission. Passholders paid good money to receive UNLIMITED admission to the Beach for the entire season without having to pay anything more. Now they instead get a few one-time freebies along with some other deals that require paying extra. That is not giving the passholder anything resembling what they paid for.

Furthermore, not all season passes cost the same, but the offers are the same regardless. Some may have paid just $44 for a basic pass through Groupon back in December (I almost did). Others may have forked over significantly more at the end of last season to add several of their a la carte benefits, such as free parking, tube/locker privilege, etc., or even a Platinum upgrade. It appears that the latter people will not get anything extra to reflect the extra money they paid. That is absurd.