I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. Cedar Point's version, while not truly spectacular, is much better than that at Kings Island. With the trees and secluded nature of Frontier Trail, it adds a nice ambiance to the area. Cardboard cutouts and burnt out LEDs on a poorly vegetated path, however, just don't cut it. It was nice its first year, especially with the Tower's lighting package, but with no upgrades (or even maintenance, apparently) KI's Starlight is a waste of energy.

, on the other hand, is awesome.

It sounds like Luminosity is CP's version of DCA's ElecTRONica.

If this is rolled out to KI, hopefully it doesn't experience the same problems that they had during those dance parties that Paramount had in Action Zone.

HaHa I think a family oriented light show is a far cry from the disaster that was "Xtended Play."

The biggest problem with Starlight Spectacular (besides the burned-out bulbs and the park's apparent lack of interest in replacing them) is the fact that it was not a continuous show - they'd do one small show for 5 minutes or so, then you'd have 10-15 minutes of generic Charlie Brown music before another show started, which left many guests thoroughly confused.

From what I understand, the two aren't really comparable are they? Xtended Play was they kept Action Zone open late, marketed it towards teens and had DJ's so it was like this "dance/coaster party for the youth."

Luminosity: "Ignite the Night" is a light show, isn't it?

According to the article linked in the OP, Luminosity is

a mix of singers, dancers, drummers, acrobats, lights, lasers, and fireworks. And if that isn't enough, a DJ will get a dance party started afterward.

The 40-minute show also will feature four sections: land travel, sea travel, space travel, and a finale with fireworks

After the fireworks, a DJ will host a dance party on a new stage to be built on the midway area near the Iron Dragon roller coaster.

That's why I was dredging up the memories of Xtended Play.

sounds like a pretty cool idea. young people throughout the area would be attracted to this. I remember in junior high and high school a lot of people around the KI area went to the "extreme" dances at the beach waterpark (RIP). if they are anything like that, I could see a good turnout

a new stage to be built on the midway

iNEb5.gif

Please tell me this won't be an eyesore like the screen was. Please please please.

The new stage is being built to the side of the midway, in the spot formerly occupied by Iron Dragon's entrance and first set of switchbacks. The view of the CP&LE RR station and Millennium Force will still be unobstructed.

The biggest problem with Starlight Spectacular (besides the burned-out bulbs and the park's apparent lack of interest in replacing them) is the fact that it was not a continuous show - they'd do one small show for 5 minutes or so, then you'd have 10-15 minutes of generic Charlie Brown music before another show started, which left many guests thoroughly confused.

Really? There was actually a "show" aspect to it? I thought the whole thing was just "look at this display of unmaintained lights that we think are pretty while listening to generic Charlie Brown music". I never knew there was ever anything resembling a "show".

Really? There was actually a "show" aspect to it? I thought the whole thing was just "look at this display of unmaintained lights that we think are pretty while listening to generic Charlie Brown music". I never knew there was ever anything resembling a "show".

My point exactly...

They have a few segments where the lights sort of sync with the music, the giant flowers open and the lights on the tower go wild. The rest of the time it's just "walk around, enjoy the generic music and look at the pretty lights!"

I love this line

It's past time, Mr. Speigel added, that Cedar Point began adding more family attractions, and Luminosity is a positive step. "This is exactly what we forecast that Matt [Ouimet] would be bringing to the park. This is his history, coming out of Disney and its resorts, of knowing how to make people stay longer, make them spend a little more," Mr. Speigel said.

My wife and I were at CP 2 summers ago, and after we rode what we wanted (sometimes twice), we were done with the park. Their were no shows being presented and if it was a thrill ride we were out of luck... this makes me happy to see the pendulum swing towards the middle of thrill park and family park...

I always genuinely enjoyed Cedar Point's, it was just that viewing it was often done on a quick jaunt from Millennium to Maverick just before closing.

Kings Island's always seemed flat to me. I'll never understand why they didn't place the Starlight Spectacular at Kings Island in the Tower Gardens... That area has the overhead foliage and the natural path flow of Cedar Point's Frontier Trail. Imagine if the ponds in the Gardens were replaced, and color-changing LED lights made the ponds alternate between colors, maybe even with a few fountains leaping over paths. Best case scenario, a miniature texture-mapped projection show like Wonderland's (embedded above) cast on the mountain that formerly had the waterfall. Voila. Perfect. Compact. Bright. Encompassing. All the things that Kings Island's current Starlight show are not.

• 5 weeks later...

Well i was expecting this on the "to clone list of CF", and i guess with that info it may :P . This actually sounds like a good idea, the music and lights may bring more flow into the area, and could bring more visitors for the lights, I could see this going into KI at the Charlie Brown light display, or in the Coney Mall area some day...