1974 Group Rates Brochure/application

standbyme

I have debated whether to even post this at all...you really have to be a die-hard fanboy to enjoy this one. (cough Ty, cough Paul) But since I have it...and I have it scanned, here it is:

kigroup741a.jpg

I like the cover...it's simple yet nice.

kigroup741b.jpg

Only in the 70's could a boyfriend & a girlfriend's clothes have clashed so badly. :lol:

kigroup741c.jpg

"Live Entertainment...a stage show in Old Coney, a porpoise show, melodramas..." Melodramas?!! Anyone remember these? :blink:

kigroup741d.jpg

Just think...you could have gotten 25 people in for only $150.00...today that's what 5 Fast Lane passes cost. (And yes I know that the 1974 prices are not adjusted for inflation...i'm trying to make a joke here!)

So, hopefully more than two people on this board enjoyed this "brochure". :)

• Like 9

Yes, more than two did.

Note the Lion Country Safari was apparently NOT an additional charge (this is the way I remembered it). Parking was 50 cents. And a group's "chairman" was in charge of tickets. It was a different world, after all.

The monorail was free in its opening year, and became a $0.50 upcharge for the 1975 season.

• Like 1

Just to put into perspective.. adjusting for inflation to today's dollars, Admission would be 32.33, compared to the 37 dollars now. Parking would be 2.31 compared to 12 dollars now. All in all, compared to what has been added since the 1974 season, the price for Kings Island has not gone up a whole lot.

According to the brochure on this site from the park's opening season (http://www.KICentral.com/history/ki1972/), the park's merchants did accept credit back then (BankAmericard (the predecessor to what eventually became Visa) being the "official" credit card of KI, with "most shops and stores" accepting "certain other major credit cards"). I'm guessing that it was simply easier for them to only accept cash/invoice payments, especially due to the large amounts of money they were dealing with ($150 [25 tickets at $6 each] in 1974 is equivalent to about $655 today).

• Like 1

Very cool find, loved reading this brochure.

Did anyone by chance find a 1977 brochure??

If not maybe the park map they handed out.

thanks for the pictures , pretty cool to go over.

One thing reading the Coney Island section Do you believe the park will ever rename the Coney Mall section, and will x base or whatever it is now be its own section one day?

Very cool find, loved reading this brochure.

Did anyone by chance find a 1977 brochure??

If not maybe the park map they handed out.

thanks for the pictures , pretty cool to go over.

One thing reading the Coney Island section Do you believe the park will ever rename the Coney Mall section, and will x base or whatever it is now be its own section one day?

I don't see the park renaming Coney Mall anytime soon. X-Base might possibly be its own section some day, but a lot depends on how much room they have to expand back there.

Thank you for posting that. It is really nice to see a look at the park pricing from that point and time. I mean, 7.00 to enter the park, and a .50 parking charge. One could visit the park with a friend for 7.25, and I can imagine that the food prices were not that high either.