At least 1 park will get winged coaster in 2013... Who will it be?

According to screamscape they have found track pieces to a wing rider that is expected to be built for 2013.

A local Screamscape source went by the B&M track fabrication plant and came across a few pieces of new bright green track on site. Based on my understanding of the codes used on the labels, this is for another Wing Coaster design, so we know someone is getting one for 2013 at least.

] LINK: http://screamscape.c...try_news.htm#BM

The picture below shows the track, green is kind of an odd looking color. But these wing riders look fun. So where do you think it will go?

db_2012_0325_BMTrack_GreenWing021.jpg

• Like 1

As cool as the Wing Riders look, from watching the POVs of Wild Eagle, X-Flight, and The Swarm, they look like they lack forces in many areas of the ride. To me, they seem like a ride the public will love, but can't live up to other B&Ms. The first drops on The Swarm and X-Flight seem awesome, but that was the only part that looked truly great.

^

You didn't just call a coaster type that you have never been on "weak", did you? You can't really guage forces from watching POVs. There are a ton of coasters that look "weak" in POVs, but when you actually ride them...they turn out to be very, very forceful. And there are also rides that are quite the opposite.

For those interested, here is Coasterforce's recently posted Wild Eage Left Side POV, a Wing Coaster. This is the real ride, not an animation:

Looks pretty darn good to me. As for what park this new green wing rider could be heading for, there are so many possible locations it is dizzying. A small list of parks in this region that I think could possibly get this ride, with pros/cons of each:

Kings Island

The Good: It's about time for something new in the coaster department at Kings Island, and these wing riders seem like they will be popular attractions. It would mesh with the current lineup well.

The Bad: The park may want to deal with a certain mountain o' wood first. Though this could replace that, but wouldn't the woodie have begun demolition by now if that was the case?

Cedar Point

The Good: Maverick is 5 years old. Something new has got to come to Cedar Point, and soon. This would fit the bill and help the park defend its "Roller Coaster Capital of the World" title.

The Bad: Is there room, or will Cedar Point have to axe an older ride to make room for it? If this ride is headed for CP, does it spell disaster and doom for Mean Streak or Disaster Transport?

Holiday World

The Good: Holiday World needs a steel coaster with inversions, and this fits that bill. Plus, the Green could go well with a brand-new St. Patrick's Day Area!

The Bad: Bluegrass Boardwalk is going to take some serious cash if they are going to open it. Is there still room in the budget? Plus, this does not add the "mid-level family coaster" the park needs for those who need to work their way up to Raven.

Bluegrass Boardwalk

The Good: With Chang gone, if this park is to re-open, it needs a signature ride. This could be that ride.

The Bad: It would be a waste of time and money if this ride gets installed, but then it turns out BB is a failure and can't open or closes quickly. Although someone else could buy it used from them then...

Six Flags St. Louis

The Good: This park could use more coasters. They have some fine wood, and a few good steel, but that's about it.

The Bad: Not for the park, but this would be a bit of a drive for me from Indianapolis...and for this park, a huge steel coaster (B&M or Intamin Hyper) would probably work better here.

99% CHANCE THIS RIDE ISN'T GOING TO THESE GUYS...

Six Flags Great America: X-Flight. Nuff said.

Dollywood: Wild Eagle. Nuff said.

Indiana Beach: No room! And do they seriously have enough for this?

Of course, this ride could also be heading for a more distant park- Kings Dominion, Carowinds, Six Flags Great Adventure (if they add this, their coaster collection will be ridiculous!), Six Flags Over Texas, Six Flags Over Georgia, and many other parks could also take a B&M Wing Rider and add it to their lineup.

Sorry to ramble, if I did...I was just thinking of possibilities.

• Like 2

Coasterforce is notorious for unauthorized POVs. Their Youtube channels are full of them.

Edit: This seems to be an exception. Their YouTube page for this video states:

This video footage was given to us by Dollywood & they used a mounted camera to film it.
  • Like 1

Good post McSalsa. Of course i would just be speculating as well but I would pretty much rule out KI in that mix as it seems the park is focusing on a whole family experience for now and I see that trend continuing for a couple years. So I figure KI will get more flat rides and other type rides families can do together.

• Like 1

^

You didn't just call a coaster type that you have never been on "weak", did you? You can't really guage forces from watching POVs. There are a ton of coasters that look "weak" in POVs, but when you actually ride them...they turn out to be very, very forceful. And there are also rides that are quite the opposite.

I probably am wrong to judge a book by its cover as there are many rides I love that would look boring or forceless on a POV. My favorite example of that being Space Mountain in WDW with the lights on. I do need to give the ride a chance before saying it's weak, as B&M, for the most part, is great.

It has been decades since CP installed a B & M, whilst utilizing them at other parks.

It's worth nothing that Kinzel did say...quite bluntly...at Coastermania (2011) that at this year's Coastermania (2012) a major announcement will be made concerning 2013 and Cedar Point. If it is a coaster install, it would essentially be Kinzel's final installation at a Cedar Fair park, given the approximate 3-year timetable they operate in.

This would fit, and would be welcomed. The rumored area has been near Blue Streak, near the Cadillac Cars (of which there is a replica in Frontier Town). Despite rumors to the contrary, there is more than enough room, although something small (like the cars) would most likely need to go.

It's also worth noting that plans can change (i.e., Shoot the Rapids delay, etc.)...especially with new management. Wherever it's going, bravo. These look like very fun rides, and I cannot wait to jump on Wild Eagle in November. :)

• Like 1

Having ridden Wild Eagle, let me say that the ride's getting a little underestimated here. I do my best to not fall into the typical over-praising that most coasters, particularly B&M's, get just after opening. To be quite frank, I tend to be underwhelmed by B&M's, especially those where I can see der Point (to paraphrase the Interpreter.) The only ones, prior to last weekend, that I was genuinely excited by were Dominator at Kings Dominion and Great Bear at Hersheypark, and I've ridden at least three others that come to mind at the moment. (I realize that's not exactly a diverse sample, but it does include a mix of several models, for what that's worth. In general, I find them unpleasantly slow-paced, and the older ones aren't very nice to your head.)

Wild Eagle is very forceful. I'm not saying it has the mythical ejector airtime that newly opened B&M's tend to have attributed to them by enthusiasts on their opening days and forgotten immediately afterward. The minimal airtime it has is the same light floater you'd find on Diamondback. It's when you're coming back up from a drop that the thing pulls serious G's. The signs advertise 4.5 G's, and I'd believe it. What surprises me--and I'm very curious to see how the ride wears over the course of this season because of it--is the lack of vibration in the outside seats. The zero-G roll following the loop spreads its rotation over the whole element, but you're sitting so far away from the track that the seat kinda drops out from under you before you yourself actually start rotating. Combined with the fact that the pacing is greatly improved (it seriously flies through the elements unlike any other B&M I've been on, save for the second half of Great Bear), it's awesome.

So, in other words... If any park around here, especially KI, is up for a B&M Wing Rider, I'm all for it!

• Like 1

I also rode Wild Eagle, and you're right. There's plenty of forces to be had, from the airtime on the first drop to the G's you pull in that final helix. The ONLY thing I can take away from it is that it has a lot of momentum going into that downhill brake run to the station. It seems like that coaster could have gone through a lot more track before returning to the station. But given the terrain and park layout, I think they did a fantastic job. Looking forward to X-Flight up here at SFGAm.

I'll say i love the design, Kings Island will not get this, someone will? Cedar Point would take something out, which stinks for their coaster count, maybe even Knotts.

But the ride is incredible.

Would any of the Cedar Fair parks get this and if they did would they lose something they already had.

Who knows????

But whomever get this its incredible cannot wait to get on one!

Just a bit off topic for a sentence or two.....

It's been said before (by me, in fact) that Cedar Point is looking for space on the mainland to use for parking. Therefore, intentions of using the current parking lot for new rides & attractions could be forthwith.

Back on topic....

Although I have not been on Wild Eagle yet, it seems like an awfully short coaster. Maybe that's all they had in the budget or maybe other models will be of greater length. I do have to wonder if there were reasons B&M chose not to extend the ride's length or it was a matter of room at the park.

Most B&M's have restraints that currently won't allow me to experience their machines. However, before my spine surgeries, I was able to enjoy several of their creations and found them very enjoyable. Even Mantis with it's added brake was fun. So, I would venture to say that this new Wild Eagle coaster will be pleasing. I trust B&M did their homework as usual.

As for who's getting the next wing job, who knows - even Mall of America could use something new to attract patrons!

.....or maybe CF will install it next to Big Dipper (in Eastern Ohio) so BD won't be so lonely all by itself (don't laugh - CF has done dumber things before).

^Have you not noticed that they seem to have broken that rule this year? Nothing new this year that is red (coaster wise)

And at our own KI took a red and yellow coaster to shades of blue! Paint color may not be a way to rule out a CF park with the new administration!

We must also account for the fact that this track doesn't have to be staying in the Midwest, or even the US. The plant in Ohio has been producing track for B&M's around the world the last few years. Honestly, IMO, with it being fabricated so early in the year (for next year), I would say that the track has some distance to cover. But that's just a complete guess on my part...

As cool as the Wing Riders look, from watching the POVs of Wild Eagle, X-Flight, and The Swarm, they look like they lack forces in many areas of the ride. To me, they seem like a ride the public will love, but can't live up to other B&Ms. The first drops on The Swarm and X-Flight seem awesome, but that was the only part that looked truly great.

From my expirience on Eejanaika at Fuji Q, the ride offered amazing new forces and an expirience I had never been though (even from my flights in an airplane). Now that is a 4D coaster and theres a few major differences between those and the new B&M design, but if these new wing rider coasters offer even a small amount of the forces I felt on Eejanaika. As of today, Eejanaika is without a doubt, my favorite coaster.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well i speculate on this due to a old thing i heard on the forums of an Action Zone revamp, this may be the coaster involved with the revamp! That would be the first guess, but due to the lack of info of the revamp, and the status of the "bundle of sticks thats not on the map", i would have to guess CP may just ditch one of the old roller coasters and go with a new one.

Guest rcfreak339

I wouldn't complain if Kings Island got a Wing coaster for 2013, they're fun rides that offer an amazing new view and twist on just your average coaster.

Although I did think Wild Eagle lacked major forces through out the ride and was nothing more than mediocre. It could have been done better, while the landscaping an location was simply perfect.