Camden Park

Does anyone on here know what is going on at Camden Park this year? I've been driving by the last couple of weeks and first, I noticed that they completely removed the Ferris Wheel. When I went by yesterday, they were in the process of tearing out the Hot Cat. It has been rumored locally that supposedly Wal-Mart wanted to buy them out.

I live it Ohio, but work in Huntington. I haven't heard of anything like that, but that doesn't mean anything

I hope to God, Wal-Mart is not gonna buy them out, because that means they will tear down Camden Park and put another "Super store" in it's place..

I really hope this is not true.

BTW, I know, just because Wal-Mart buys them out, doesn't mean that they will tear it down.

Does anyone on here know what is going on at Camden Park this year? I've been driving by the last couple of weeks and first, I noticed that they completely removed the Ferris Wheel. When I went by yesterday, they were in the process of tearing out the Hot Cat. It has been rumored locally that supposedly Wal-Mart wanted to buy them out.

KIBeast, great to hear from you again! I haven't been to Camden Park since 2008, but it is easily my favorite park. Classic rides, handcrafted artwork, good food, and friendly locals who work there. What I enjoyed most about it is that I felt it was the closest I could get to that old school turn of the century Amusement park feel. Just a neat place.

Are they maybe just doing maintenance on these rides? I'll put in a call to a friend and see if anything turns up.

They are being removed from what I have seen, Gordon. The Hot Cat building has been destroyed and everything is gone for the Ferris Wheel, including the base. I should have stated earlier that on their web site, there is a new calendar of operating hours for this upcoming season. So, I assume that they will be opening. I sure do hope so as I will be taking my 3yr. old son Trey there this year. He's a little over 3ft., so he'll be able to do everything in their kiddie land this year. I'm thinking he may be able to do the Little Dipper too.

On another note, we are already planning a trip for KI in the first or second Friday of May. My hopes are that Ohio schools are still in at that time so that we can beat the crowds a little. It's going to be a great family trip...My wife and I, our son, and my step-son are going. My step-son turned 12 this year and he has reached a height that will allow him to ride most of the larger coasters this year. He is a bit on the small side, so this is very exciting for him. We are planning on spending a lot of time in the new Snoopy kids' section, but we are going to take turns splitting up and taking the older one on the big boy coasters. You should see the look in his eyes when we talk about it. It sure reminds me of that same time in my life when I could finally ride Racers and The Beast. Also told my wife that as cheesy as it is, I am going to get the whole family matching Beast shirts to get photographed in.

• Like 2

They are being removed from what I have seen, Gordon. The Hot Cat building has been destroyed and everything is gone for the Ferris Wheel, including the base. I should have stated earlier that on their web site, there is a new calendar of operating hours for this upcoming season. So, I assume that they will be opening. I sure do hope so as I will be taking my 3yr. old son Trey there this year. He's a little over 3ft., so he'll be able to do everything in their kiddie land this year. I'm thinking he may be able to do the Little Dipper too.

On another note, we are already planning a trip for KI in the first or second Friday of May. My hopes are that Ohio schools are still in at that time so that we can beat the crowds a little. It's going to be a great family trip...My wife and I, our son, and my step-son are going. My step-son turned 12 this year and he has reached a height that will allow him to ride most of the larger coasters this year. He is a bit on the small side, so this is very exciting for him. We are planning on spending a lot of time in the new Snoopy kids' section, but we are going to take turns splitting up and taking the older one on the big boy coasters. You should see the look in his eyes when we talk about it. It sure reminds me of that same time in my life when I could finally ride Racers and The Beast. Also told my wife that as cheesy as it is, I am going to get the whole family matching Beast shirts to get photographed in.

My son was at 46 in the fall, I have not measured him lately to see if it has made it to the magical 48" mark yet. If so, we will be making some more trips to KI for he and I to get some fun in!

I had been told a couple of years ago that they were planning on getting rid of the ferris wheel soon. I have no idea what is going on with the Hot Cat, but I had heard something about possibly Camden getting a new ride this year. I guess we'll have to wait and see what exactly happens.

I hope that they do get a new ride. I was not really sure about the removal of the Hot Cat. I have seen in recent years where ridership had really declined on the Ferris Wheel, so that one wasn't really a surprise. The Hot Cat, I had not really noticed whether or not that one had low ridership or not.

oh no, as much as a kiddie park this is, it's west virginia's only amusement park, and that means the closest would be KI...not the KI isn't amazing, it's just a fairly long drive every summer :(

It's not that long of a drive for one or two trips each summer...it's shorter for you to go to Kings Island from where you live than us guys from Cincinnati to go to Cedar Point!

• Like 1

oh no, as much as a kiddie park this is, it's west virginia's only amusement park, and that means the closest would be KI...not the KI isn't amazing, it's just a fairly long drive every summer :(

It's not that long of a drive for one or two trips each summer...it's shorter for you to go to Kings Island from where you live than us guys from Cincinnati to go to Cedar Point!

well from charleston to mason is around 4 hours including a breakfast stop at mcdonald's and a bathroom break in chilicothe. from charleston to sandusky is around 5 hours 30 minutes with a breakfast at mcdonald's and a bathroom break in columbus

I'm going to call Camden tomorrow and see whether or not they would tell me if there's going to be a new ride installed or not. I'm thinking that they might tell me since generally speaking, they don't really keep secret as to what's going on there like some of your larger parks; i.e. Cedar Point, Kings Island, or any of the Six Flags Parks. I'll post tomorrow whether they give me any information or not. At the very least, they may give me an official date of when they would make an announcement about a new attraction.

Edited by KIBeast
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have more info on Camden's new ride. I know for sure they are getting one, but they still haven't made any announcements yet. Opening day is just a couple of weeks away, I wonder if it will be ready by then.

P.S. I was thinking of going up there for opening day. Does anyone know if the park is really packed on the first day. Generally ride waits are not very long there, I was just wondering if opening day was any different.

I was told today by someone who lives in the Huntington area that the new ride at Camden Park will be a Drop Tower type ride called The Rattler. No official confirmation on this, but it jives with some other info I had heard.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just there today. Hot Cat is gone, not a trace of it :( Ferris Wheel is gone as well. I would really love to see the park get new life, it's sad seeing so many things removed, and not much being replaced. It was a great day trip, but thinking of how it was when I was little, compared to now... :( However, the Haunted House is still a great ride. Gotta love the foot brake at the end :)

Hello all, I must admit, I have been a lurker on this site for about a year and finally decided to join! I live in the Huntington W.V. area and travel to Kings Island and Cedar Point often! As a child, I have fond memories of my Grandparents taking all the kids to Camden Park. I would hate to see a big corporation like Walmart buy them out.

As for the new ride, it looks like a smaller version of Delirium. I found a video here:

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/videos/x994898695/Video-Camden-Park-to-get-new-ride