PTR: Eggs, Paws, and Claws at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium

PREMiERdrum

Beautiful Easter weekend weather here in Central Ohio beckoned us out to the incomparable Columbus Zoo and Aquarium for their annual Easter weekend "Eggs, Paws, and Claws" event. Like most other special events at the park (Boo! at the Zoo, Wildlights, Jack Hanna's Fall Fest), the festivities are all "free" with gate admission. Being members, we parked for free, made our way through the gate, and started our Saturday morning of fun.

Much like the Halloween-time Boo! at the Zoo event, the park is set up with several dozen "treat stations", sponsored by local businesses (who surely pay a small fortune to get access to the zoo's captive audience), who give out generous handfuls of sweets and treats to the little ones along with pamphlets and business cards to mom and dad. There are also several special activities, including "Easter eggs" given to various animals (we got to see AsiaQuest's beautiful Monitor Lizard enjoying his...), as well as a scuba diving Easter Bunny featured a few times per day in the Shores region's Discovery Reef aquarium. A short parade, the "Character Carrot Caravan", made it's way around the central plaza 3 times per day, featuring zoo mascots along with Buggs Bunny, Daffy Duck, and Frisch's Big Boy, all dancing to a springtime theme.

As is quickly becoming the case anytime of year, the park was beautifully decorated for the spring season. Pastel tulle bows, big printed spring flowers, large inflatables, and impeccable landscaping all helped set the springtime mood. Chalk artists were showing their craft around the central Conservation Lake, drawing admiration from all. Unfortunately, the beautiful weather ensured big crowds: More than 20,000 guests came through the gate on Saturday. Fortunately, the park is large enough that we only really felt cramped at lunch time, choosing to dine indoors (right at noon, no less) at the park's popular Congo River Market footcourt, located at the entrance to the African Forest region.

As always, the animals put on a great show, but the little extras involved in these special events make dealing with the crowds worthwhile.

003-2.jpg

004-2.jpg

011-1.jpg

005-2.jpg

007-3.jpg

009-3.jpg

010-1.jpg

012-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

013-1.jpg

015-1.jpg

016-1.jpg

018-2.jpg

A treat station, set up inside of the AsiaQuest's themed buildings

019-2.jpg

Sun Bear, through the glass

021-2.jpg

Hanna, the reticulated python, and daughter of the well-known Fluffy (largest snake in captivity, until he died at the zoo last year)

022-2.jpg

023-1.jpg

024-1.jpg

027-1.jpg

026-1.jpg

028-1.jpg

029-1.jpg

In addition to the zoo's normal characters, spring chicks and bunnies were brought in to greet kids

030-1.jpg

Phoebe, Connie, and baby Beco were still spending their morning inside the Pachyderm building

033-1.jpg

At more than 15,000 lbs and 9'5" tall, Hank is the largest elephant in North America. Seen here in the 2 acre north elephant yard

036-1.jpg

037-1.jpg

It really was a beautiful day

038-1.jpg

040.jpg

041.jpg

042.jpg

043.jpg

044-1.jpg

045.jpg

047.jpg

051.jpg

busyzoo.jpg

Busy lunchtime inside the Congo River Market, which features Charley's Steakery, Rotoni's Pizza, Jr Chef, Congo Grill, Fresh Selections Deli, and Jalapeno Mexacana (the barbacoa tacos and sopopillas were delicious!)

053.jpg

As always, she can't leave without a ride on the historic Mangles-Illions 1914 Grand Carousel

055.jpg

056.jpg

Nice report and photos! Thanks for posting!

Thank you!

Indeed. And your little one is so adorable and growing so fast!

Tell me about it. She has a little brother coming this August, too. She isn't going to know what to do! :D

And Mr. Interpreter, I hope you checked out my other PTR posted today as well.

I love the pics of the Red Panda, when I went last year I just couldn't leave their exhibit, I was practically drooling, oh and your little one is so cute! P.S. was Fluffy alive in June of last year?

The red pandas were more active this day than I've ever seen them. They've got this huge, beautiful exhibit and usually they're asleep in their treehouse! Fluffy died in December of 2010. Hanna (named for Jack Hanna), Fluffy's daughter was brought in the following spring.

Nice Report! It looks like you all had a good time. I have never been to this zoo but judging by the pics and your report it looks like a great place to go. Thanks for your report!

Honestly, between the Zoo, Zoombezi Bay (waterpark), Jungle Jack's Landing (rides park), and The Wilds (gigantic exotic wildlife preserve east of Columbus - operated by the zoo), there is easily a 4 day trip. The zoo itself commands an entire day. The Zoo and Zoombezi Bay make for an excellent 2 day trip, too.

EDIT: I see you're from Indy, right? We've been to the Indy Zoo; very nice traditional zoo. Columbus Zoo is more comparable to a Busch Gardens, or Disney Animal Kingdom.

And just for reference, here's Fluffy, all stretched out in the Pachyderm house (across the path from the AsiaQuest show building where she lived). They moved her here for exercise quite regularly after hours.

snakef41ab4631f867d12da0e6a7067003eds.jpg

And seen here in her enclosure (not fully shown):

fluffy-art-g08acn8f-1ncl-wildart-zoo-snake-jpg.jpg