Tis the Season to Be Jolly

LongliveKingsCobra

Yes, the topic certainly makes one think to a time when jingle bells, snow and a big man dressed in red are prominent.

I for one am glad that amusement parks are beginning to open again. Too bad we have to wait so long for Kings Island to open this year. I miss the days when they would be open in mid-April. This end of April opening is no fun at all.

How do opening day crowds usually compare to the following few Saturdays? The last early-season Saturday visit I had was the weekend after Diamondback opened...so I'm not sure if that's a great crowd guage.

tis the season they have decided on Winterfest, I would love that to return, but it seems in Cincy that the zoo has the wraps on that!

When I read tis the season! I thought winterfest too!

The Zoo certainly does well based upon the attendance I saw last year in my 1st (and last) ever visit to the fesitval of lights. We thankfully got there about when they opened, when we left, the line just to grab a parking spot was beyond belief. King's Island could turn a profit if they did it right. It doesn't have to be the King's Island that we love during the summer to be successful, shut down all rides w/ the exception of a few flats that are very family friendly. Make admission prices low (and free to season pass holders) and charge tickets for all of the flats to keep lines down. Forget about trying to have ice skating in the fountains, weather's way to predictable, move it inside. Focus on the lights and food, entertainment, seasonal shopping, a visit with Santa and a train ride to the "north pole" aka Soak City.

• Like 1

The only problem, was it seemed so tiny last year. I enjoyed the lights (and it was warm which is great) but we were there for like 30-45 minutes before being done with all of the lights (we didn't want to pay for the train ride or other up charge events)

When I was there with a friend, we ended up spending three hours there. We had walked around the whole zoo at least four times.

KI could do such a great thing they don't have to go to over the top, but they could make it like the original winterfest, lets face it they would draw a decent crowd.

The zoo is just too packed anymore.

Last time I was in cincy for that event we did the movie simulator, that was crazy packed.

You almost have to get to the zoo right when it opens.

To winterfest 2012!~ I would hope!

Knotts does a great christmas peanuts addition, of course KI not being in a warm climate would not have all the rides, nor could the log flume run like knotts themed to christmas etc. But it could and would be great for KI:

I agree. if done right, KI (or any of the CF parks) could do great business for Winterfest. Went to the Columbus Zoo (I forget the name) last November and it was wall-to-wall people. Anyone who has seen the lengths that Disney goes to (if even by picture) for the Christmas season would guess that if done right it would be a cash-cow.

Do they have the stomach for it? If led by Kinzel, no. With the new guy and a history of success (80's and 90's)- it is a possibility, though I wouldn't look for anything in 2012.