Metal Detectors

stky6

One less bottleneck?

^Perhaps....

There are SO many angles to this one, I honestly do not know how to feel.

- safety

- protection

- appearance of previous issues

- having them guarantees nothing

- bottlenecks

- privacy issues

The list for/ against can go on, and on....

• Like 1

Went up to get my pass Sunday and all the metal detectors are gone....hope it's permanent.

I would personally hope not, due to some lunatic may bring in a gun and or a knife, wanting to kill a person, or persons at KI.

Went up to get my pass Sunday and all the metal detectors are gone....hope it's permanent.

I would personally hope not, due to some lunatic may bring in a gun and or a knife, wanting to kill a person, or persons at KI.

If some lunatic wanted to do some real damage, what they had in place last year wasn't going to stop anything. We came in about 1x a week in the evenings with our 2 year old son in a stoller. We had a diaper bag packed underneath his stroller with some snacks and water for him, as well as a change of clothes in case he had an accident, plus towels if we were planning going on the log flume ride. I figure we did this approxiamently 15 times last summer, maybe a handful more than that. Never once were we asked to stop so they could examine the bag under his stroller. I'm not sure anyone even noticed there was a bag under his stoller or not. Now, I highly doubt we fit the profile of anyone they're looking for that could/would cause trouble, but last season leads me to believe that was mostly there for a show of security, more than actualy security.

At Disney, at least 2 years ago, we had to pull out his diaper bag every time we entered the park so they could visually inspect it.

The metal detectors never really bothered me. Mostly because they were just there for show. They had them turned down pretty low or completely turned off most the time. The extra couple seconds it would take to get through wasn't that big of a deal. Basically the same as going to a concert or sporting event anymore.

I have traveled to places where you couldn't even walk into a mall without being scanned and sometimes patted down. I had a car drop me at the hotel where my bags were sniffed by dogs and the car was examined for bombs.

I'm not going to be one to complain about the very slight inconvenience of the metal detectors out in front of KI. But this leads to another question, will KI be posting the no guns allowed for the conceal carry folks? Not that I would really wanna be packing on a coaster, but I am kinda curious on KI's stand on the issue.

One less bottleneck?

^Perhaps....

There are SO many angles to this one, I honestly do not know how to feel.

- safety

- protection

- appearance of previous issues

- having them guarantees nothing

- bottlenecks

- privacy issues

The list for/ against can go on, and on....

Kings Island operated for 30 seasons without metal detectors and had no significant incidents. Their installation was an unnecessary over-reaction in the post-9/11 period. None of the pre-Paramount CF parks have them, nor do Disney parks. They're simply not needed, and during Haunt cause a major bottleneck.

I did not have to walk through metal detectors last year in my visit to BGW. I remember there was a guy there with a wand, and they were checking bags, but I did not go through metal detectors.

They changed it then. I guess the new owners felt they were unnessacary.

^ Or Disney World

Although I have some stories

Disney seems to operate them the best out of anywhere I've gone that has a bag check, although I do have a fun story involving the "Guests Without Bags" line... I've actually seen CP and Worlds of Fun check bags, but they didn't use metal detectors. It seemed like they only did it on busy days or something.

As a sidenote, I'll miss the Rome Airport dividers between the lines.

Kings Island operated for 30 seasons without metal detectors and had no significant incidents. Their installation was an unnecessary over-reaction in the post-9/11 period. None of the pre-Paramount CF parks have them, nor do Disney parks. They're simply not needed, and during Haunt cause a major bottleneck.

I believe the installation of the metal detectors was more due to the racial tension that Cincinnati was knee deep in years ago rather than 9/11.

I was felt that they were there completely for show. I've realized after I passed through that I've left my keys in my cargo pocket and walked right through without even a beep. Like people have set, not only did KI get by 30ish years without them, many park (like Cedar Point) still do. I just never saw a point in them if they aren't really being used. That said, didn't the very first weekend the detectors were installed, a guy hold himself at knifepoint in a stand off with police as he tried to pass through? Still, I don't think they are necessary.

They used to have a cool informational section at the Syracuse, NY airport. It told all sorts of behind-the-scenes facts about airports, like how the runways are numbered, and purposes of signs and markings, etc. In addition, there was a metal detector there. My Hi-Tec boots had metal soles, and after a little bit of practice I could greatly diminish its ability to detect metal on me. This was a good strategy: 1) keep your feet low and shuffle them 2) move very slowly, 3) turn torso sideways if possible.

A few times at CVG I did this and the workers asked "are you a pilot?" No. "Because that's how pilots walk through these detectors." I'd say pilots know the same tricks, just for convenience.

This whole story takes place before 9/11 and I wonder if SYR still has a metal detector for practice? Maybe not.

CSB.

I remember noting that last year it seemed like many of the days I wound up going, they weren't even using them - most were roped off and the ones that weren't didn't seem to be manned. I'm on both sides of the fence with the issue as well, but if they weren't that strong to begin with, who knows how much protection they were actually offering.

I am glad they are gone, maybe we might get the trams back. One reason they removed the trams was because the metal detectors took up to much space but now that they are gone we might get the trams back!!!! :D

Metal detectors installed= 2002

Trams last ran= 2005-'06

Other than that, what do the trams have anything to do with the metal detectors?

• Like 1