Metal Detectors

stky6

I'd like to see the trams return, but that probably won't happen. Gas prices.

Maybe they could invest in electric trams? That would offset the gas costs. Trams would be a nice addition. (I haven't been to KI when trams are running)

Raise parking up a buck.Invest that dollar into just the gas for the trams. If more than 4 to 5 people ride it every time it moves, I'd say it's worth it.

They aren't getting rid of premium parking. Just gold pass parking.

Ok Thanks, I now see that platinum & gold have lost that Premium parking option, I will miss that. You have now made me take a look and compare Platinum Perks between KI and Cp, there is not a lot of perks for KI pass holders compared to Cp. I think KI needs to take another look at the food perks Cp is offering and copy them.

Kings Island's food perks have been abysmal in the past. Disney Parks passes are simple. The lower level passes offer a flat 10% discount on food, drink, and merchandise at most locations, while the more expensive pass affords a 15% discount. It's a real perk and something people can take advantage of.

When I convince my four friends to get Platinum Passes so we can travel together, what good is it for us to get one buffet half-off with the purchase of four buffets and a souvenir sipper? Or better yet, are we supposed to see the value in 4 six-inch Subway sandwiches and two large drinks for $40? You'd be hard-pressed to find someone who calls that a value. As The Interpreter put it a year and a half ago:

Knowing Cedar Fair, they will probably text coupons for a free salad when you buy a family size pizza, three other salads and four large Cokes, good only from 4-6 on the third Wednesday of the month...and they will send that the week before. When you get to the window at the restaurant with your text you saved on your phone, no one will have any idea how to process the transaction!

The new dining plan is a nice amenity, but I know of at least one member here who was recently embroiled in a discussion with Kings Island via Twitter on how to take advantage of it if you have a Pass and don't need to buy a ticket (right now, the Dining Plan is bundled with one-day admission). Again, it shouldn't be difficult to give a company your money.

Look at the parking lot that the new Soak City expansion is taking away vs. the Gold Pass parking area and you will see why that perk is removed. As for trams, like it has been discussed takes gas to run, insurance costs, labor, maintenance costs and other various costs. Now if you want to discuss how cheap it is to park at Kings Island as compared to the Reds and Bengals games and the cost of concessions at both venues and oh yea, once you are inside, you can not leave and be readmitted.

Combine that with losing the appeal of Premium Parking income, may halt any consideration of trams.

BGW has a tram and a premium lot for twice as much. People still fill the premium lot, and end up walking further.

BGW has purchased new electric trams like KI would have to?

I did not know that.

Kings Island operated for 30 seasons without metal detectors and had no significant incidents. Their installation was an unnecessary over-reaction in the post-9/11 period. None of the pre-Paramount CF parks have them, nor do Disney parks. They're simply not needed, and during Haunt cause a major bottleneck.

I believe the installation of the metal detectors was more due to the racial tension that Cincinnati was knee deep in years ago rather than 9/11.

I repectfully disagree with you on that. After 9/11, all Paramount parks were instructed to install metal detectors. It wasn't just KI.

Hate to break it to you, but the metal detectors are removed after each season to undergo maintenance. Most likely, they will be back, maintenance just hasn't had time to reinstall them.

Hate to break it to you, but you are the prime example of an Acer that has no idea of what they are talking about.

I used to have an old LG VX8700 phone that was almost completely made of stainless steel.. it would make the detectors go berserk. :lol:

I used to have one of those, too. Great phone, although mine overheated frequently. Never tried taking it through the detectors, though--I always assumed it would make them go off. Guess my suspicions were correct!

^ KD had detectors on my trip in in '98 that were installed in the mid 90's & Canada's Wonderland had detectors installed after a shooting in 2003.

Let me rephrase that then. After 9/11, all Paramount parks were instructed to install metal detectors if they didn't already have them. I thought I remembered KD's Admissions manager tell me when I visited in 2002 that they had had them for a while, and you seem to have confirmed this. I definitely remember discussing with him during the tour he gave us of their Admissions area about how their's were placed behind the turnstiles, and how I was glad ours were out front.

Hate to break it to you, but the metal detectors are removed after each season to undergo maintenance. Most likely, they will be back, maintenance just hasn't had time to reinstall them.

Hate to break it to you, but you are the prime example of an Acer that has no idea of what they are talking about.

He's a computer?

• Like 1

My guess is that the detector installation was blamed on 9/11, but had more to do with the racial tension- is sounds better to blame it on an issue that is known nationwide vs. issues that happened in KI's backyard.

Especially since the detectors were installed in 2003, and 9/11 was in 2001. The timing does not add up.

My guess is that the detector installation was blamed on 9/11, but had more to do with the racial tension- is sounds better to blame it on an issue that is known nationwide vs. issues that happened in KI's backyard.

Especially since the detectors were installed in 2003, and 9/11 was in 2001. The timing does not add up.

The riots over the shooting of Timothy Thomas (the Cincinnati race riots) were in April of 2001. That timing doesnt add up either.

He's a computer?

Neep. One of these:

loll222.png

• Like 1

I could have sworn they were there in '02, but all the years run together any more. But blaming the installation on the racial tensions in Cincinnati doesn't make sense either. Especially since the detectors were installed in 2003, and the Cincinnati riots were in 2001. The timing does not add up. ;)

EDIT: Pedro Cerrano beat me to it.

I've been looking around online, and apparently Great America in CA had them in 2000, if not before...

http://www.epinions.com/review/trvl-Family_Travel-Theme_Parks-All-Paramounts_Great_America/kifm-review-64E9-A4B0D56-3945204F-prod6?sb=1

After buying our tickets, we had to pass through a security check (amd metal detectors!) to get into the park.

...the KIC timeline is correct and KI added them in 2003 (thus proving my failing memory)...

http://coasterbuzz.com/Forums/Topic/paramounts-kings-island-adds-metal-detectors-in-2003

Posted March 26, 2003, 3:34A | Contributed by Coasterville Dave

Paramount's Kings Island is adding walk-through metal detectors to screen guests entering the amusement park this year.

...and Carowinds installed them in 2003:

http://coasterbuzz.com/Forums/Topic/carowinds-tightens-security

Posted March 24, 2003, 4:25A | Contributed by Jeff

Paramount's Carowinds is beefing up security as one enters the park. New metal detectors are set up at all three entrances, along with more personnel to work them. A trip to the theme park now is like one to the airport.

Those darn racial tensions must have flared up in Charlotte too! B)

• Like 1