Kings Island: Cedar Fair's test park

Diamondbacker

Soak City Kings Island is far from being merely a rebrand. For many, it will be more FUN than a day at the beach.

When I got my pass processed last weekend, I got a little peak at the construction of Soak City-it really looks like it is going to be spectacular.

If only they would think about revamping waterparks, not rebranding with a very old waterpark idea......

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Boomerang Bay was only $4 million for the whole package, even with two brand new slides (Taz and 'Gata), a water fortress (Jackeroo), and a kid-sized pool (Kooka). Soak City is reported to be around $11 million (again, someone correct me if I'm wrong), with a brand new wave pool, a brand new season pass entrance, a redone lazy brand new action river, a new path connecting Zoom Flume to Coconut Cove, repainted slides, fencing, and the like.

Consider also how money changes... Diamondback was $22 million. The next year, Intimidator was $23 million despite being on arguably simpler terrain.

Now Shambhala at PortAventura is 25 million euros, or US$ 34 million (probably on wilder terrain because that's a lot of inflation).

So a decade and a half between waterpark expansions can add millions of dollars of inflation alone. Plus think of the concrete that was all torn up and the massive project of adding a giant concrete wave pool. Structural improvements like completely rebuilding the Subway restaurant and creating new piping and systems around the lazy river can probably add up.

Consider also how money changes... Diamondback was $22 million. The next year, Intimidator was $23 million despite being on arguably simpler terrain.

Now Shambhala at PortAventura is 25 million euros, or US$ 34 million (probably on wilder terrain because that's a lot of inflation).

So a decade and a half between waterpark expansions can add millions of dollars of inflation alone. Plus think of the concrete that was all torn up and the massive project of adding a giant concrete wave pool. Structural improvements like completely rebuilding the Subway restaurant and creating new piping and systems around the lazy river can probably add up.

Isn't the price also based on what construction company is chosen to build said ride? I don't think it's entirely fair to compare the price of ride built in the US to the price of a ride built in Europe. There are too many other factors that can cause that big of a price difference. I don't think inflation is one of them because our economy is not the same as Europes.

Not sure where you are getting the decade and half between waterpark expansions, since Boomerang Bay was new for 2004, only 8 years ago. And as far as inflation goes, if the $4 million figure is correct, then inflation has only added about $857,000. Soak City is going to be a far more extensive overhaul of the waterpark than Boomerang Bay was.

http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

Drink wrist bands:

I think they are gone from general sales because people abused it. I believe it is still available for group sales, though.

Yeah. I remember in 2006 people were dumping soda on each other. Hoodlums.

I bet they wouldn't have done that if the soda in question was the cool refreshing taste of RC Cola, rather than Coke! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

No, Pepsi and other sodas are included in Southern Indiana. When you charge people nearly ten dollars plus tax for an all you can drink wristband, you shouldn't be surprised if people who already feel abused by the park then abuse the privilege. Treat people with respect and integrity, you are then less likely to be conned by them.

• Like 1