KI & Miami Valley Railroad 1980 magazine article

standbyme

Here's one last thing that I have dug up to post during this off-season. This is a May 1980 magazine article about the behind the scenes of The Kings Island & Miami Valley Railroad. I am going to string this out over a few days because there is so much to read...and because I can! ;)

I hope you enjoy it. :)

lsaa.jpg

lsab.jpg

lsac.jpg

lsad.jpg

• Like 11

Probably one of the most loved (by many) and least appreciated (by most) rides in the park. The train, simply magnificent, is seen by most as waterpark transportation, if even that.

Say what you want about Dick Kinzel, and Lord knows I have, the man loved trains. Thank goodness CBS did not retain the parks. Had it, at best the steam locomotives would have been converted to diesel (as at Six Flags Over Georgia). At worst, there might be no train at all (nor even Kings Island, for that matter).

standbyme - Great post! I have apparently I have "...reached (my) quota of positive votes for the day." Otherwise, I'd have "liked" it, and Terp's post, too! The train deserves much more respect than it gets. I remember riding it as a kid and I do remember the Indians, the canon fire and splashes, and the village in much better repair than now. Even an animatronic beaver felling a fake tree! I think since the Paddlewheel Excursions are gone from the park up north, maybe they could bring some of the theming here. I wouldn't mind if our train ride turned into the tongue-in-cheek, bad-joke-fest the Paddlewheels were. At least it would be something! :-)

• Like 1

This is an awesome thread. I remember all of this as the park opened when I was in High School (beast opened the year I graduated!). Too bad society became so PC that we can't have beavers felling trees or cavalry and indians fighting (history). Agree with previous post, we could at least have some animated skeletons firing at each other!

I cant help but think there would be lots of people that would travel great distances just to take a ride on a full sized (not to mention VERY nice) train through the woods...it's a shame it kind of gets lost amongst all the other attractions.

I'm sure KI / Cedar Fair spends a boat load to keep the ride , a treasure of the park going. Sometimes, we have to step back and be thankful for keeping these treasures, and sometimes we might be sad that a certain ride and or attraction goes.

But the overall good is great when you read about the train.

Thanks for all the interesting information on the train!