Question about the Beastie (Woodstock Express)

esquire

Hi everyone, I just joined this board today. I grew up going to Kings Island in the 80's and 90's so The Beastie is how I knew that particular roller coaster. I have learned that when it was first built it was the Scooby Doo - didn't know that till recently!

I was showing my husband some of the pictures in the "Flashback" thread. My husband went to Kings Island one time as a child, in either 1990 or 1991. He remembers riding The Beastie but he remembers it being called the Scooby Doo Coaster. He's pretty sure he saw a sign or something calling it that, and his younger cousin kept whining to go back and ride the "Scooby Doo Coaster." He was only there the one time so he was surprised to hear that it wasn't called that then.

Any idea why he would have thought it was called that? Thanks!

^Beat me to it,

The person in the OP's question was probably referring to the ride now known as the "Great Pumpkin Coaster" formerly known as "Little Bill's Giggle Coaster" and before that known as "Top Cat's Taxi Jam." Originally, before all of those - it was in fact "Scooby Zoom."

If you read the original post you'll see that isn't the case. (Unless her husband is unable to differentiate between a very small steel coaster and a larger wooden coaster in pictures.)

It's possible. Keep in mind that esquire's husband is looking at childhood memories through a time veil that is 20 years thick. Time tends to compact memories in a way that causes multiple events and details to run together.

MrSaturdayNite who remembers marathoning The Beastie an hour before closing time, but has difficulty remembering how old he is.

Something I like about Disney (like their really comparable...) - ride names don't change. They tend to stick with what they started with.

Well, the kiddie coaster in the Magic Kingdom just got a name change and the Tiki room is under new management.

I thought it might be the Great Pumpkin Coaster (with an earlier name) that he was referring to but he says it was definitely what is now the Woodstock Express. Oh well, I guess it will remain a mystery. It is likely something got warped in his memory after 20 years of not being at Kings Island! (and possibly confusing with other parks he's been to)

Something I like about Disney (like their really comparable...) - ride names don't change. They tend to stick with what they started with.

Well, the kiddie coaster in the Magic Kingdom just got a name change and the Tiki room is under new management.

Magic Kingdom rides 2 rides, 2 name changes over 50+ years. Kings Island- countless rides, 40 years, sometimes as many as four name changes.

Magic Kingdom rides 2 rides, 2 name changes over 50+ years. Kings Island- countless rides, 40 years, sometimes as many as four name changes.

Kings Island has had a few more owners than WDW. And certainly more vain ones. Fort Cooper, Fort Kinzel anyone?

Terp who would be giddy with delight if said structure were renamed Fort Ouimet. Or even Fort Q!

Growing up I remember it being The Beastie. I am having trouble remembering what it was called between the time it was The Beastie to the time it was the Fairly Add Parents something. However I do distinctly remember that they had a Mystery Machine Ride photo booth at the exit.

He probably heard a lot of people refer to it by its original name, much like people still say "Drop Zone" and "Face Off" these many years after their names changed...?

This, this is your answer. We took our 2-3 year old son on that a lot last year when he cleared the 40" hurdle in early summer. My Wife & I both grew up with that ride being called The Beastie, so we continue to call it that even thru the name changes. Our son, who can't read yet, so just calls everything by what we call them, asks to go on The Beastie. I doubt we're the only ones, which is likely what happened with esquire's husband. He was with a group of people that had spent almost a decade calling it the scoobie doo, so they referred to it as the scoobie doo and it sticks.

• Like 3

Growing up I remember it being The Beastie. I am having trouble remembering what it was called between the time it was The Beastie to the time it was the Fairly Add Parents something. However I do distinctly remember that they had a Mystery Machine Ride photo booth at the exit.

There wasn't anything else between Beastie and Fairly Odd Coaster. In 2005, it was Beastie. In 2006, it became Fairly Odd Coaster.

He probably heard a lot of people refer to it by its original name, much like people still say "Drop Zone" and "Face Off" these many years after their names changed...?

This, this is your answer. We took our 2-3 year old son on that a lot last year when he cleared the 40" hurdle in early summer. My Wife & I both grew up with that ride being called The Beastie, so we continue to call it that even thru the name changes. Our son, who can't read yet, so just calls everything by what we call them, asks to go on The Beastie. I doubt we're the only ones, which is likely what happened with esquire's husband. He was with a group of people that had spent almost a decade calling it the scoobie doo, so they referred to it as the scoobie doo and it sticks.

This^ times a million. When I was little, my parents/grandparents/aunts always called it the Scooby Doo coaster. Untill I was bigger did I realize that it was actually The Beastie

The Tiki Room is no longer under new management. After Iago caught fire last year, they took that opportunity to change the program and revert back to the original Tiki Room show.

http://allears.net/tp/mk/tiki.htm

The Walt Disney World version of the Tiki Room, called "Tropical Serenade," debuted October 1, 1971, and was originally sponsored by the Florida Citrus Growers.

The show closed in 1997, then reopened in 1998, as "The Enchanted Tiki Room: Under New Management."

On January 12, 2011, a small fire broke out in the attic of the attraction. The Iago audio-animatronic figure was severely damaged in the blaze. It was announced at Disney's D23 Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary Conference that the attraction would be refurbished and returned to the original show format.

The attraction re-opened on August 15, 2011 as Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room.