Coaster Train Testing

Hank

I'd like to know what usually happens the first time a coaster train is sent out on its circuit after winter rehab. Do the maintenance people expect it to make it back to the station? Is there anyone riding in it the first time? If not, how long before someone rides it? What is being looked for on the test trips?

I imagine these things are thought of on a daily basis during the regular operating season, but I've never heard much about pre-season testing. Any and all information would be appreciated, but please - no guesses - only facts.

Theres a race of people called "Test Dummies" they used to have a home at Epcot's Test Track, which now they dont know. They also live at KI but their a different part of that race :P . Also for your imaginations concern, the rides are infact tested during the regular season, if you ever make it up early enough at The Beast for early ride times, you could see the mechanics getting off the ride for the first ride of the day.

You know they may only doing that type of thing once a week, I'm not 100% sure....

And those little walkways one the side of the ride I'd assume...

The sign in Beast's station says the track is walked every morning. I think this is because they want to make sure nothing from the fireworks is still on the track during the day.

You know they may only doing that type of thing once a week, I'm not 100% sure....

And those little walkways one the side of the ride I'd assume...

The sign in Beast's station says the track is walked every morning. I think this is because they want to make sure nothing from the fireworks is still on the track during the day.

I don't think the fireworks part is true. They stop the ride during the fireworks show and then resume the ride after the fireworks have ended until the line is clear.

In regards to the steel coasters, the first cycle of the season is done just like any other test cycle; empty. However, weather usually plays a part as to when that first cycle of the season is ran. There is no reason to the think it won't complete the circuit and that's really the only major concern on that first cycle of the year. Employees can ride whenever it is deemed neccesary. A state inspection is not needed for employees to ride.

• 11 years later...
19 hours ago, Shawn Meyer said:

Anyone know if The Beast has been put back on the track yet? The Kings Island facebook page has been posting other rides but not The Beast. 

It almost certainly has. In fact, I'd be willing to go as far as saying that there have been several test cycles. It won't be long until the associates are there for training, and the rides need to be ready for that. 

• Thanks 1