Speculation about Cedar Point for 2013

gigacoaster2k

I know it's only PointBuzz but I thought I'd share.

http://pointbuzz.com...point-2013.aspx

I clicked on the forum link and it reads "He (Ouimet) also spoke at least three times about removing DT jokingly, but at the same time seriously. There was also mention of opening up the view of the beach and that CP will get $25 million in cap ex next year."

Spending $25 million in 2013? Opening up the view of the beach? Hmm.. Millennium Force and Dragster both cost $25 million to build, and the only thing standing in the way of the beach is Disaster Transport. Plus the last time Cedar Point gave us a new coaster was in 2007.

I'd like to see what you guys think.

Removing DT would not hurt my feelings at all. It was fun when I was 8.

I actually enjoy the ride. It's one of my guilty pleasures, but it's nothing I can't live without (if that makes any sense :lol:). If it will improve the look of the park, then I'm all for it, but on the negative side it would knock out a good family/intermediate coaster. I rode it with a girl who was flat out terrified of coasters, and she was fine on it because it was a bobsled and she couldn't see what was going on.

• Like 1

NOOOOOOOO!!! They can't remove Disaster Transport! One of my favorite kiddie rides! Come on CP you can get creative with finding the space to put in a new coaster. If I was a betting man, I would bet that you could fit 17 more roller coasters in there without remove one ride! Not to mention that at least 1/2 of the peninsula is taken up by parking & resorts.

(warning stream of consciousness)

If they remove DT, where can I fly to Alaska via space on a sketchy Transport company whose navigating robot overheats taking me through an astroid field followed by an attack from space pirates in an intense laser battle only for my robot to regain control and crash land in Alaska.

DISpatch mASTER TRANSPORT, we get you there in 15 min or not at all.

Although I have anticipated the removal of DT for some time, removing it would leave a riding hole for the guests with "in-between" height (under 48" but over 46").

CP would also lose a large "on property" storage facility.

If DT is removed & if the rumors are true, CP could be adding a Jr. coaster for those with "in-between" height as well as a large coaster. I just don't believe it will be for 2013 as, if recent history is followed, DT would already be removed making way for a 2013 expansion.

^^ That is a great question.

Was the advanced engineering part of the $25 million?

Just throwing some numbers & ideas around: I could not find a cost for Raging Bull, but Apollo's Chariot, which were both B & M's first hypers in 1999, cost $20 million. DB & Behemoth both were about $22 million (Behemoth in Canadian= $ 26 million) in 2009 & 2008 respectively.

TTD and later the larger & faster KK were both $25 million.

EDIT: there has also been rumors about the "on property" dorms for employees being removed due to their age.

In case you haven't heard or forgot, Kinzel stated pretty bluntly at last year's Coastermania (2011) that at Coastermania 2012 John Hildebrandt (CP's GM) would have a huge announcement to make concerning 2013.

Of course, plans change (i.e., Shoot the Rapids, etc.) but that was in fact, stated.

• Like 1

I just don't believe it will be for 2013 as, if recent history is followed, DT would already be removed making way for a 2013 expansion.

Mill Race operated until August 1993 before being removed for Raptor. The aqaurium was demolished in October 2001 for WT.

EDIT: there has also been rumors about the "on property" dorms for employees being removed due to their age.

The two on peninsula dorms are located next to corkscrew (not that big) and next to wildcat (big enough footprint there). Most dorms however are located at 1st and CP Dr.

Mill Race operated until August 1993 before being removed for Raptor. The aqaurium was demolished in October 2001 for WT.

Very true, yet, neither of those examples have the size or deconstruction time needed to remove DT building & ride.

Think more along of WWL removal at end of 2005 for Maverick in 2007 and DD removal in 2009 for OM replacement leading to WS in 2011.

"Opening up" the view of the beach could also mean removing the ridiculous warehouse covering, and re-introducing Avalanche Run. It's not the ride itself that blocks the view and looks utterly ridiculous, it's the shell they put over it. And no, in case you heard the rumor, there was never a problem of sand getting in the trough of Av. Run; it really was Kinzel trying to make his own Space Mountain. I would welcome that change.

Yet Ouimet's focus is also on family rides, and Disaster Transport is perhaps the only "mid-level" coaster at the park. What else bridges the gap between Woodstock Express and Gemini? Maybe Wildcat... But in my mind, Disaster Transport has great value. It's also got the most potential I can imagine if a Disney-style "refurb" were planned for any Cedar Point attraction. No other ride other than Maverick has any kind of effects or props or lighting worth revisiting.

Can we get rid of the "All Wheels Extreme" theater? Seems like that could open up the beach and make it apparent and accessible from the Wicked Twister midway AND Planet Snoopy... A great draw area for families.

Heyi just made an account becuz I have benn going to Cedar Point every year for the last 6 years. I rode disaster transport for the first time last year and was really excited it looked really cool win u walked in . And there was a huge line cuz it breaks a lot. We got on it and it was the most boring roller coaster I have ever rode I would love for them to tear that down and put a Wing coaster there. And a roller coaster for family's between Woodstock express and Gemini is the mine ride and iron draggon so it wouldn't be a big loss in my opinion

Welcome to KICentral KingsIsland vs. Cedarpoint.

I recommend that you read http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4128-terms-of-service/ the KICental Terms of Service. It will help you get around the site and make the best discussion possible!

On topic: I am hopeful that something big is to happen at Cedar Point in 2013. Cedar Point has been lacking in big, jaw dropping investments since Maverick. I would love a new coaster, but I would hate for it to be at a cost of something for younger thrill seakers.

(warning stream of consciousness)

If they remove DT, where can I fly to Alaska via space on a sketchy Transport company whose navigating robot overheats taking me through an astroid field followed by an attack from space pirates in an intense laser battle only for my robot to regain control and crash land in Alaska.

DISpatch mASTER TRANSPORT, we get you there in 15 min or not at all.

Oh, is that what the theme of the ride is supposed to be? I rode it once last June and couldn't figure out what was supposed to be going on. Quite possibly because it was so boring I could have taken a nap on it. I say good riddance to it.

Although I have anticipated the removal of DT for some time, removing it would leave a riding hole for the guests with "in-between" height (under 48" but over 46").

Iron Dragon is 46".