Action Zone makeover 2013?

KingsIsland vs. Cedarpoint

Please see my posts in the SOB thread. I cannot discuss my source, and without wanting to have said person(s) get into any entanglements. Just trust me, nothing has been done to SOB, except only things that are required to prevent people from being harmed by the structure. Same rules apply to vacant homes and structures.

• Like 2

Action Zone has been miserable since Son of Beast closed in june of 2009. it feels more like the "quiet concrete zone" than the "Action Zone" it used to be. it reaallly needs to be redone so here are my plans

2013 master plan: make sob into a intamin prefab, put a tunnel at the end of the drop at congo falls, build a new ride near top gun and remove part of that really long queue line and plant more trees around Action Zone. replace the water tower into trailers for the latest movies and add a concert there, add Son of king cobra with near same layout except that its a b&m stand up (the first in 12 years) and it will turn into a Action Zone!

^ Better stay away from Surf Avenue in Brooklyn, then...

After the Cedar Point rumors, I honestly don't know what I think about what's next for KI. I liked Wild Eagle very much, but I don't know that I'd enjoy a wing rider from B&M at KI nearly as much. Part of what I enjoy about WE is the view, as the ride sits very high up relative to the rest of the park. If you take that away, you're left with an unusually forceful but somewhat generic B&M progression of a couple inversions and then some turns to maximize the ride time.

I doubt theming is any more of Ouimet's method of operation than Kinzel's, but I like the looks of Busch Gardens' Verbolten. I'm curious to see what else Zierer produces in the near future, as they've been designing some unique rides lately. It'd be neat to see one of their rides at KI.

While back there on friday, I was wondering if they could incorporate some sort of zip line system, perhaps starting near Invertigo, soaring over Action Zone, down the valley, around the back of the park and depositing you somewhere near x-base or the Dinos. I'm not sure how many steps you'd have to climp to make the initial take off worthy, or if they'd have to incorporate a lift system half way thru to make such a thing work, but it could make a nice upcharge in the line of the eXtreme Skyflyer in the area.

• Like 1

I really don't see much happening with SOB, although I've heard they have made a few attempts to get it running again to the point where it can be reopened or at least tested by the people that will let it open. I see no visible work done to it other than that 1 bit of scenery from Halloween Haunt that is just there, but thats not really work at all.

I wouldn't mind seeing a stand-up ride make its way back into the park. When Cobra was taken out, it was just after I was tall enough to ride it, which bummed me out because i only got 2-3 chances to do so. I think it would be nice to bring back a stand-up or like people are saying maybe put in a Wing coaster.

Why not a multi-dimensional? haha

When was the last time you have been on a stand up coaster? Have you been on Mantis? It's awful. It hurts your head, your legs, and your man parts. It is very, very unlikely KI (or any park for that matter) will get a new stand up ride. When was the last time B&M even built a new stand up? Sure, Six Flags has been moving around stand up coasters, but the ride type is no longer in demand at any park.

Mantis does hurt Your legs and man parts.. But if you think about it overall it's a very good ride! With that said Kings Island if they were to get a new coaster would try to get something more modern " Giga coaster wing coaster etc." I don't no if Kings Island is going to get a new coaster this year though since Cedar Fair is already investing 25million on something"prob wing" at Cedar Point .

I always find myself in the minority of liking Mantis. It has a fun layout, and it has never been painful to me. On another note, I don't think a stand-up coaster should be built at KI. Even at Cedar Point, it never has much of a line. That probably means that the majority does not like the ride. A wing-rider would please almost everyone, but with the one coming to Cedar Point next year, and whatever they are building at Canada's Wonderland, it is doubtful we will get something large next year.

• Like 1

I always find myself in the minority of liking Mantis. It has a fun layout, and it has never been painful to me. On another note, I don't think a stand-up coaster should be built at KI. Even at Cedar Point, it never has much of a line. That probably means that the majority does not like the ride.

I also love Mantis and don't find it painful. OTOH, I disagree with "it never has much of a line"; on a week last year when crappy weather created 15- to 20-minute lines for Millie, the wait for Mantis was often double that.

I always find myself in the minority of liking Mantis. It has a fun layout, and it has never been painful to me. On another note, I don't think a stand-up coaster should be built at KI. Even at Cedar Point, it never has much of a line. That probably means that the majority does not like the ride.

I also love Mantis and don't find it painful. OTOH, I disagree with "it never has much of a line"; on a week last year when crappy weather created 15- to 20-minute lines for Millie, the wait for Mantis was often double that.

Interesting, I've been on days where lines are 2 hours for nearly everything, and the longest I've had to wait was 15 minutes.

I would love to see a ride layout like Mantis (I love the inversions on it) but instead of stand up cars, just make them sit down floorless cars. I actually really like Mantis, but I think the time for stand up coasters is done.

What I would REALLY want to see in Action Zone is a ride similar to Maverick at Cedar Point. I love that ride so much. I think Kings Island just needs a good sit down coaster with inversions, one that doesn't give you a migraine(Vortex)

True, Flight of Fear does have inversions, and it is sit down. But I wouldn't mind one being outside. I guess what I am saying is, we need a new sit down roller coaster with inversions, to refresh what we already have in our line up

I like you guys ideas! My suggestion would maybe re-do SOB. It's still a nice structure of wood, but one of the areas that need re-done is the double helix. I would love for Gravity group to come in and do some work on SOB. If that happens, they could put the loop back in, add some nice air time hills, and have some great 90 degree turns like you see on Voyage. I also say keep the first hill the way it is and do everything I just mentioned Gravity Group style.