New Member - New Season Pass Holder

crgraham32

Hello everybody! I am new to the site. My family (wife and 3 kids) and I purchased season passes for the first time this year. I have been going to the park once or twice a year since I was a kid.

Does anyone have any tips about the park that we would benefit from knowing as new season pass holders? We live about 1 ½ hours away so we won’t be able to go all the time, but we plan on going at least 7 or 8 times this season.

Hello! I don't really have any tips as I am also a new pass holder (after going many times as a child and teenager and working there a total of seven seasons). Ten years off for life and having babies, and now back to take my husband and kids. But I thought I would ask how old your kids are because that might help people give you tips. My kids are about to turn 3 and 6 and we live about ten minutes from the park.

• Like 1

I have learned in my young 20 years, to just go to the park, don't break your neck to try and get all the rides in, leave that to the enthusiasts tee hee. Enjoy the time you have with the family and most of all, have a good time, that is what Kings Island is all about. If you seriously want tips though about the park I will be more than happy to share the ones that have helped me out over the years.

For crowds, Saturdays are usually the busiest. Sunday's aren't nearly as bad, but you will still wait in some lines. In the summer, the middle of the week is the best time to go, and weekdayse in May and late August should be pretty empty. In October, Sundays are pretty empty, but you won't be able to take advantage of Halloween Haunt. That's some crowds advice I have.

I've had passes for the past 6 or 7 seasons, and I also live about an hour and a half away. This summer I'll be taking my younger son (11) and my little girl (3), though plan to go a day or two for just me, lol. Middle of the week (Tues, Weds, Thurs) are usualy slowest times since familes tend to take vacation days on Mondays and Fridays in order to just have a long weekend. Best time to hit the big rides? Usually around lunch and dinner times, since people stop to eat around those times.

I hope to meet some KIC folks this summer!

Middle of the week is pretty slow, though once the water park closes down (7:00 still?) lines fill up quickly for a couple of hours until the people start to exit the park for the evening.

There are some meal deals (or at least there were last year, not sure about this year) for gold pass holders. the Festhaus had a whole large pizza, salad and 4(?) drinks for a decent price (relatively speaking)

If you're going to go in the morning, might as well take advantage of the early ride times and get to the park at least 30 minutes before it opens to the general population.

Might as well check the ride heights for your kids, if you haven't done that in past seasons. I'd imagine the 11 & 12 year old can get on most anything they want, the 7 year old might be a question mark. I'd imagine it would put a hole in your heart to see your kid wait in line, only to be told by the ride op that they need to grow another 1/2". If they're quesitonable, get them measured up front at the begining of the day for a wrist band so they don't have to be measured at each ride again. And if they're questionalbe, teach them how to stand on their tip toes and hold their heads up without obviously trying to extend the last 1/2".

If you can stand the heat, the hottest days middle of the week are generally pretty light on crowds. We two days last summer in the evening when the heat index got up into the 100s. With all the rides and trees, there's generally a nice breeze blowing thru the park so it never feels as hot in the park as it does outside, but the lines are really, really short.

an hour and a half is a pretty good distance, but if you have a pass, might as well take advantage of the random days in the summer when time presents itself a quick trip

And if they're questionalbe, teach them how to stand on their tip toes and hold their heads up without obviously trying to extend the last 1/2".

Ignore this comment...Standing on tip toes will not work, their feet must be flat on the ground when being measured. If they are very close, whoever is measuring will usually try their best to get that last little bit. If it doesn't work out...not to worry there is still plenty for that child to experience. Certainly don't take it out on whoever is measuring they are just looking out for you're child's safety.

The great thing about season passes is, if the the crowds are too much for you or you can't stay long, you can always come back another day. That's why I've always loved the pass: you can go on a whim without planning and not be concerned if it's going to be too crowded or too hot and ruin the one day you have (if you don't have a pass).

That great big wooden structure that looks like a coaster behind Thunder Alley (the go-karts) is NOT Adventure Express!

Or even a operating ride.

The great thing about season passes is, if the the crowds are too much for you or you can't stay long, you can always come back another day. That's why I've always loved the pass: you can go on a whim without planning and not be concerned if it's going to be too crowded or too hot and ruin the one day you have (if you don't have a pass).

Not always true. I have a pass but live 2 hours away. I can't just go on a whim with $4.00 a gallon.

anything in Planet Snoopy should be a big hit for your kids, they have some quality rides. if they are feeling like they want to ride a coaster, I'd try Adventure Express or possibly The Racer. hope you guys have fun! I have great memories of going to Kings Island as a kid with my parents. my Dad actually tricked me into going on (what at the time was) The Beastie (now called Woodstock Express) by calling it "those little cars". I was at a pretty gullible age obviously, but it is a tactic you could try! :D

And the cup is small. Its probaly about 2oz.

2oz is a bit of an exageration the dixie cups many people have sitting by their bathroom counter are 3 oz.

The cup is probably exactly that, a cup (8 oz) perhaps even a shade bigger, maybe 10 oz. while still small, the good news is, they'll give you as many cups as you ask for, as often as you ask for them. Plus I love ice, which will help cool you down, so you can drink 2 cups pretty quickly on a hot day and suck on ice while walking to the next ride. Load up again while moving on to the next ride.

anything in Planet Snoopy should be a big hit for your kids, they have some quality rides. if they are feeling like they want to ride a coaster, I'd try Adventure Express or possibly The Racer. hope you guys have fun! I have great memories of going to Kings Island as a kid with my parents. my Dad actually tricked me into going on (what at the time was) The Beastie (now called Woodstock Express) by calling it "those little cars". I was at a pretty gullible age obviously, but it is a tactic you could try! :D

I actually got the two oldest to reluctantly ride Diamondback last time we were there and they LOVED it! They became instant coaster fans I think we rode it 3 or 4 times that day. After that, they were ready for just about anything, even The Beast!

I will say that I thought The Beast beat me up more than I could rememeber from years past. This was probablly due to the extra pounds I have put on in the years between rides.

Might as well check the ride heights for your kids, if you haven't done that in past seasons. I'd imagine the 11 & 12 year old can get on most anything they want, the 7 year old might be a question mark. I'd imagine it would put a hole in your heart to see your kid wait in line, only to be told by the ride op that they need to grow another 1/2". If they're quesitonable, get them measured up front at the begining of the day for a wrist band so they don't have to be measured at each ride again. And if they're questionalbe, teach them how to stand on their tip toes and hold their heads up without obviously trying to extend the last 1/2".

Along with MarketingExpress, I would advise against this technique. Just purely for the fact that the ride height restrictions/guidelines are in place for a reason. That reason being SAFETY. Even if its just a 1/4" I'd rather be safe than sorry. Sure you can get the kiddos on the ride when they are an inch too short but if something freak does happen where height play a factor, it would be devastating. There is plenty of more time for rides when they reach the required height. And there is plenty of other things to do if your kiddo doesn't reach the required height for big roller coasters. Heck my GF's cousin (who we are taking to the park this year for their first time, 8yr old twins) both grew about 3 inches this winter so they reached the minimum required height for all the rides!!! Now only if we can get them on the rides... Thats a whole other story!

Well by tip toes, I guess I should have said balls of their feet. Trust me, a 1/2" over a 40 or 48" height measurement is rather arbitrary. If it wasn't, the height check employees wouldn't have worked with my 2 year old son last year, teaching him how to stand with his feet together (something you kind of have to force on a 2 year old as they don't understand that instruction), hold his head up high, back straight, ect... Like marketing express eluded to, they do all they can to get a kid to pass, they won't allow them to stand on their tip toes as I wrongly pointed out, but you can pick up an extra hair or two by standing on the balls of your fee ensuring that your back is straight, head up, etc..

My son passed the 42" height one day in the middle of the summer, actually I think he passed it 2 times. He just failed to miss the mark the next 3-4 trips. Not a huge deal, I think their are 2 rides you clear at 42", shake rattle and roll which he rode both times he cleared the height and the lay-down flying ride in Planet Snoopy which he have yet to take him on. The difference was likely the way he was standing and the shoes he had on those days. he finally cleared it again for good during the haunt. I doubt he was any less safe in July when he cleared the 42" mark on shake rattle and roll than he was in August when he couldn't clear the height, than he was in October when he cleared the height again. A 1/4" is well w/n the range of margin of safety they calculate into those heights.