Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom Park

I never realized there is not really an official thread for the new Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom, or at least I could not find one. Storyboard Circus is partially open now with half of the Flying Dumbos, “The Barnstormer, Featuring The Great Goofini," and “The Fantasyland Train Station,” now open.

The next phase of Storyboard Circus will open in July with the second half of the Flying Dumbo rides and Casey Jr. Splash ‘n’ Soak Station.

It also appears the two new castles, restaurants, and Under the Sea-The Journey of the Little Mermaid will open during the holidays season. WHile the Seven Dwarfs coaster will open in 2014

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/04/opening-dates-announced-for-beast%E2%80%99s-castle-seven-dwarf-mine-train-more/

I think it is going to be a great addition. Not to often does a park expand and have 2 coasters, one being new, two new rides, a new sit-down restaurant, a new show, and a new castle.

Here are some current and concept pictures.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-daily-disney/pictures/orl-disney-world-new-fantasyland-pictures,0,7455298.photogallery

I have heard the renovations/ updates are intended to compete with Universal's addition of Harry Potter.

The pics/ definitions don't seem as attractive....

Not really. the FLE pre-dates Potter. It finally got approved as a way to increase the dwindling capacity at MK. After a few days of closing the park, someone realized they were leaving money on the table. The FLE is (the most cost effective) way to make sure that doesn't happen any more.

Disney has plans for wach park which were designed to combat Potter. They were referred to as Potter Swatters. But they never got the green light. Disney decided they didn't need to compete. At present, they still don't plan to go head to head with Potter.

If it ever actually gets built, Avland will probably be the closest thing to Disney attempting to compete with Potter. But that will only be if Cameron is able to convince them to do so. Last I heard, Disney wanted to cheap out on that too.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I was very mad when I saw that New Fantaslyand wasn't going to be open when I went in June, but I hope to make a trip there in 2014 so I can get the full experience of the expansion.

I really don't think MK can compete with IoA, though. I hear the Universal is planning some special things to keep them ahead of the competition..it's very fun to see what each park does to compete with one another.

Magic Kingdom does not try to compete with IoA.

Universal is about thrills to where Disney cares about the details and guest experience.

While I used to agree with that statement, I have to say that I think the focus at Universal has definitely changed with the addition of Potter. To say that they didn't care about the details or guest experience just isn't fair. While I find it highly doubtful that Universal will ever top Disney in terms of attendance, they have definitely shaken things up and changed the game here in Orlando. They have made an impact with how people are choosing to spend their vacations while in town and are pulling more people off property from the Mouse House than in the past. With more Potter on the horizon and the yet-to-be-announced but highly rumored Transformer attraction rapidly under construction now, I can't help but to imagine what all this means for the Orlando parks in the coming years!

- Todd

• Like 2

Yet besides Potter, IOA remains unchanged. Just saying.

Disney has taken Potterverse very seriously. Seeing the massive expansion to Fantasyland, Pandora at Animal Kingdom, will be very interesting to see what happens in Orlando over the next few years.

• Like 1

I think Islands of Adventure is the most detailed park I've been to. To me, Magic Kingdom isn't the best at detail; especially Tomorrowland, which reminds me a lot of Action Zone; a concrete jungle.

At IoA, everything, and I mean everything is covered up. I saw no bare buildings anywhere. Everything is perfect there.

Yet besides Potter, IOA remains unchanged. Just saying.

Disney has taken Potterverse very seriously. Seeing the massive expansion to Fantasyland, Pandora at Animal Kingdom, will be very interesting to see what happens in Orlando over the next few years.

Agree again about IOA. It was incredibly sad to see such an amazing park open, yet be neglected with no additions or attention for so many years. Potter breathed new life into the park. The entire atmosphere in the park is just different now and one that I've been enjoying tremendously. In general, it has been fantastic to see just how much investment has been and is continuing to be made in both Universal parks. I am very interested in the Avatar expansion...and just how much of an impact it will make. Will it have the same drawing power that Potter did?

- Todd, who is also curious to see how Antarctica turns out at SeaWorld next year!

• Like 2

In my opinion, the introduction of Potter has rejuvenated the Orlando parks and will continue to drive the area forward for years to come - which is a good thing for those of us who love parks.

What I find interesting is that on Universal Orlando commercials, when they talk about 2 great parks - they almost leave the impression that one is called "Wizarding World of Harry Potter"

I'm a huge Disney fan and LOVE Walt Disney World! Every time I go I just get lost in the place. The atmosphere and the surroundings pull me in and I could just stay there all day and not ever get tired! I was there last August and got to see some of the construction of the new Fantasy Land addition and I was pretty excited.

I only really have one complaint on the whole thing...I wish that if they were going to expand the park that they'd put in rides/attractions based on some of their newer films. Why put in more Snow White and Dumbo rides? I understand that these films are classic, but what I really would've like to have seen would be a ride/attraction based on The Lion King, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Aladdin, or even Tangled. I do love the Little Mermaid dark ride. I've seen videos of the one from California and think it's amazing. I also love the idea of the Beauty and The Beast castle. I think these are great new additions because they're based on more current films. I just feel like Disney has a whole lot of movies that would make fantastic attractions, rides or even dark rides that would bring a new feel to the park. Maybe we'll see some of these in the future!

Universal is about thrills to where Disney cares about the details and guest experience.

They don't try to compete, they do compete.

The new Fantasyland is a direct answer to WWoHP. While IoA does provide thrills, they also have family attractions. Disney provides family attratcion, and also has thrills.

Don't be fooled, each compete for $$.

• Like 1

Why put in more Snow White and Dumbo rides? I understand that these films are classic, but what I really would've like to have seen would be a ride/attraction based on The Lion King, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Aladdin, or even Tangled..

To answer, those are extremely popular rides, esp Dumbo, which had one of the worst capacities in the park. By adding a second dumbo ride, the park can accomodate more people at once on one of its most popular rides. Aladdin already has a ride in front of the Tiki Room in AL..granted, it isnt in the best location, but its similar to Dumbo except that the camel in the middle of the ride spits water on hot days. Snow White as well is the film that really gave Disney the credability to do what it wanted to do, so to not have a ride honoring that film would be horrible. The old Snow White ride was dated, so it was time for an upgrade. Lion King I believe is represented at AK. Tangled is represented throughout the park on merchandise, as well as having the Rapunzel appear as part of the characters one can meet on any given day.

Also, Disney has announced that reservations for the Be Our Guest restaurant in the new Beast Castle will be taken beginning 8/31 for dates in mid to late December (when they anticipate opening, though there is a chance it could be open by Thanksgiving). It is going to be as big as Cinderella's Royal Table at the Castle (seating for 500), serving lunch and dinner for now, so if anyone is going around then, keep it in mind!)

The new Fantasyland is a direct answer to WWoHP. While IoA does provide thrills, they also have family attractions. Disney provides family attratcion, and also has thrills.

I beg to differ. To me, Avatar is the respond to Harry Potter. Remember how rushed the announcement was? Not even a snippet of concept art. Disney Execs: "Ope! Islands of Adventure did his new Perry Hotter thing and now we need to do sumtin! Oo let's do Avatar!" The announcement was not very Disney-like.

Why put in more Snow White and Dumbo rides? I understand that these films are classic, but what I really would've like to have seen would be a ride/attraction based on The Lion King, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Aladdin, or even Tangled..

To answer, those are extremely popular rides, esp Dumbo, which had one of the worst capacities in the park. By adding a second dumbo ride, the park can accomodate more people at once on one of its most popular rides. Aladdin already has a ride in front of the Tiki Room in AL..granted, it isnt in the best location, but its similar to Dumbo except that the camel in the middle of the ride spits water on hot days. Snow White as well is the film that really gave Disney the credability to do what it wanted to do, so to not have a ride honoring that film would be horrible. The old Snow White ride was dated, so it was time for an upgrade. Lion King I believe is represented at AK. Tangled is represented throughout the park on merchandise, as well as having the Rapunzel appear as part of the characters one can meet on any given day.

Also, Disney has announced that reservations for the Be Our Guest restaurant in the new Beast Castle will be taken beginning 8/31 for dates in mid to late December (when they anticipate opening, though there is a chance it could be open by Thanksgiving). It is going to be as big as Cinderella's Royal Table at the Castle (seating for 500), serving lunch and dinner for now, so if anyone is going around then, keep it in mind!)

I understand all of this. I'm a huge Disney fan. My life's goal was to be an animator. I've been studying Disney, the history of Disney and Disney animation for close to 25 years now. I agree that Snow White is probably a must since without that movie, we wouldn't have Disney as we know it today or even no Disney at all. I was mainly just stating that there are so many other movies that would make great rides and attractions, but they seem to always use the same ones.

I've been on the Aladdin ride by the Tiki Room. Its ok, but it's nothing special. I'd like to see a fully realized attraction based on this movie with effects and all. I understand that The Lion King is represented in Animal Kingdom, but its really not a ride. They have a show, maybe some merchandising, and that's about it. Yeah Tangled is represented by someone in a costume, but that's not what I was talking about. What about a Tangled attraction? Some type of ride? How cool would a Hunchback of Notre Dame or Hercules dark ride be? What about a water/dark ride of Pocahontas? Families could get into a canoe shaped boat and travel "just around the river bend". Maybe sail past an animatronic talking Grandmother Willow? You could also meet Meeko and Flit, sail through the woods to find Governor Ratcliffe and his men digging for gold. Granted, this might be a better ride for Animal Kingdom, but you get what I'm talking about.

I'm not in any way trying to take away from the significance of Snow White or other classic movies that have made Disney what it is today. What I am saying though is that there's a whole library of amazing Disney films that could be turned into even more amazing rides and attractions. I just would like to see this happen eventually!

I'm with you 100% on all your points..so many ideas, only so much capital and/or land. Disney basically has a whole dept of Imagneeering devoted to so called "Blue-Sky" ideas...basically they think of all the great new attractions if money werent an object. I personally would like to see them tackle Epcot next. Universe of Energy is looooong overdue for a refresh and the Wonders of Life is SBNO eating up valuable real estate. Another E ticket ride in the World Showcase would be great too! (Expedition Everest was once a Blue Sky idea for a roller coaster in the Japan pavillion).

I'm with you 100% on all your points..so many ideas, only so much capital and/or land. Disney basically has a whole dept of Imagneeering devoted to so called "Blue-Sky" ideas...basically they think of all the great new attractions if money werent an object.

This is exactly right. That's why if they're going to spend the time and the money to expand a park, I'd like to see them try something different not just do revamps of rides we already have. Do we need 2 flying Dumbo rides? I'm not sure. Also, I thought it was a joke when they were talking about expanding Animal Kingdom to create an Avatar land. That's crazy, it's not even Disney! Maybe this is where the Pocahontas idea could fit. I think that land would fit great in Animal Kingdom. You could build the forest, Pocahontas' village, and right in the center of it call you could have a full size Grandmother Willow that you could talk to and she could respond. Maybe have a ride built into the area also, maybe some authentic shops and restaurants. To me, I think this would be a much better use of space than an Avatar land. Plus, it is the Disney brand and still family appropriate.

I beg to differ. To me, Avatar is the respond to Harry Potter. Remember how rushed the announcement was? Not even a snippet of concept art. Disney Execs: "Ope! Islands of Adventure did his new Perry Hotter thing and now we need to do sumtin! Oo let's do Avatar!" The announcement was not very Disney-like.

Yes, you could argue that. While the Fantasyland expansion has been on the books for a while, what wasn't was the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. There has been chatter about the ride for years, but it was left out of the finalized plan that was announced 3 years ago. Originally, this section of the new Fantasyland was to essentially be a large area with various meet and greets for the princesses. Potter caters to such a wide demographic, including young boys AND girls. The Fantasyland expansion primarily was geared for girls, with the princesses making up a very large part of it (meet and greets, Little Mermaid, Enchanted Tales with Belle). Seeing the huge success of Potter, no surprise that plans changed.

I still can't get that excited about Fantasyland. Dumbo turned out nice and Splash 'n Soak Station is cute, but that particular part of the expansion just doesn't feel like Disney. Honestly, the detail in that area is something that I feel like we'd see turn up in a SeaWorld Parks attraction, which is perfectly suitable for those tier of parks....Disney just always sets the bar so much higher. I'll be interested to see the rest of the area open up in a few months, a lot can change when everything is finally pieced together. After seeing pictures of Carsland, I feel like they could have come up with something more immersive and more captivating. To me, Carsland seems like more of an answer to Potter than the new Fantasyland.

I do agree, though, the Avatar announcement was so random and out of left field. Hopefully some details start to emerge soon. They've been doing balloon tests recently in the park...so things are in motion at this point.

- Todd, can't wait to check out Carsland next month!

I'm with you 100% on all your points..so many ideas, only so much capital and/or land. Disney basically has a whole dept of Imagneeering devoted to so called "Blue-Sky" ideas...basically they think of all the great new attractions if money werent an object.

This is exactly right. That's why if they're going to spend the time and the money to expand a park, I'd like to see them try something different not just do revamps of rides we already have. Do we need 2 flying Dumbo rides? I'm not sure. Also, I thought it was a joke when they were talking about expanding Animal Kingdom to create an Avatar land. That's crazy, it's not even Disney! Maybe this is where the Pocahontas idea could fit. I think that land would fit great in Animal Kingdom. You could build the forest, Pocahontas' village, and right in the center of it call you could have a full size Grandmother Willow that you could talk to and she could respond. Maybe have a ride built into the area also, maybe some authentic shops and restaurants. To me, I think this would be a much better use of space than an Avatar land. Plus, it is the Disney brand and still family appropriate.

I definitely agree that for once, I'd like to see Magic Kingdom EXPAND and not replace. After all is said and done, MK is only gaining one ride. We get Little Mermaid, but lose Snow White. Seven Dwarf's will at last up the ride count. With that said, do we need two Dumbo rides....absolutely. There are some things that are simply Disney classics, this is one of them. Dumbo is a Magic Kingdom staple and one of the most popular rides in the Park....it also has crap capacity. I applaud Disney on this move, I do think it was smart and has improved guest experience for the attraction.

I don't really get Avatar. Again, it was so out of left field. I'm sure that whatever they have planned will turn out to be spectacular, but I can't help but wonder why one of their own properties wasn't chosen for such an expansion (i.e Carsland). Carsland has completely turned California Adventure around much the same way that Potter did for Universal Orlando. I've been reading stories about shops running out of Carsland merchandise already, not to mention the huge crowds that have descended upon DCA. Is Avatar going to do the same thing for Animal Kingdom? Sure is going to be interesting to see....whenever it opens in the next 4 years or so :)

- Todd

I don't really get Avatar. Again, it was so out of left field. I'm sure that whatever they have planned will turn out to be spectacular, but I can't help but wonder why one of their own properties wasn't chosen for such an expansion (i.e Carsland). Carsland has completely turned California Adventure around much the same way that Potter did for Universal Orlando. I've been reading stories about shops running out of Carsland merchandise already, not to mention the huge crowds that have descended upon DCA. Is Avatar going to do the same thing for Animal Kingdom? Sure is going to be interesting to see....whenever it opens in the next 4 years or so :)

- Todd

Since Avatar is pretty much a direct rip off of Pocahontas, it seems like Disney would just do that instead. It's also already part of the Disney brand, and I feel like it's much more family friendly than Avatar.

Since Avatar is pretty much a direct rip off of Pocahontas, it seems like Disney would just do that instead. It's also already part of the Disney brand, and I feel like it's much more family friendly than Avatar.

Pocahontas = $346,079,773 Worldwide

Avatar = $2,782,275,172 Worldwide

Pretty sure that factored into their decision.

• Like 2

The skeletons of the tents remain, but they were re-clad with much brighter, more vibrant colors as part of the expansion and will also house attractions other than character meet and greets that previously occupied the space.

• 1 month later...

Any other ideas about Disney's answer to WWoHP?