British Invasion: The Review

BoddaH1994

I was invited by my friend and KI Entertainment manager Kevin Brunck to come up to the park and check out British Invasion earlier tonight.

British Invasion is obviously far different from other shows that we've seen in the Festhaus in the past several years. Going from country and TV themes to rock is a big step, but I think it was pulled off well. In this show, some of the biggest British stars are highlighted, mainly The Beatles and Elton John. It involves a lot of tongue-in-cheek humor, but exemplifies a fond look back at when the British people were the kings of rock 'n roll.

It starts out with an intro video where "Queen Elizabeth II" shows up at Kings Island and has her own VIP version of what Kings Island has to offer. This includes a red carpet entrance to the Festhaus as well as British guards posted at buildings which she occupies. The whole video is less than a minute long. I wasn't in love with it, but I could see it going over well. It was intended to be humorous, and even ends with Her Majesty saying, "Kings Island had better now screw this up!"

It seems as though when Kings Island does shows, they either start off weak and progressively build or they start strong, dip in the middle, and then end on a bang. This one seems to start weak and work its way up. The opening number was a little awkward, but the show certainly picks up... and quickly. The best thing I can compare that to is how "Down Home Country" had a very awkward start with that, "Take Me Back to the Country" song but then had everyone hooting and hollering at the end to "The Devil Went Down to Georgia." That, however, is neither here nor there.

The two groups that were highlighted the most in the show, as stated above, were Elton John and The Beatles. They had a really good selection of Beatles songs, but I think the most memorable songs were the Elton John songs. It seemed like the conversion of Elton John to the theme park stage was very natural. As always, the Kings Island performers put a lot of flair and power into the songs and make them arguably better than the originals.

The lighting for the show is better than any other Festhaus show I've seen. It's very "busy" and has a lot of elements to it. This includes the strip-lighting that lined the circular risers on the stage. It really brought a whole new level of excitement to the show and will be interesting to witness in a packed house.

The talent, as always, was top notch. Many familiar faces in this show, including the show being lead by Hayley Dobkins or KI's Dobkins Dynasty. I'm not going to go on too much about this because you've heard, you've seen, you know...

Costumes were really interesting. I had envisioned ripped jeans and exposed abs - like the British rockers would wear, but they took a very traditional approach. The first act (I guess you'd call it) involved the performers wearing very traditional British school boy/girl outfits. The second had everyone adorned in British flags, and the third had everyone dressed like a 1970s disco (think Austin Powers). The costumes were appropriate and a lot of fun. They were a good element in the show.

Over all, I thought the show was very entertaining. It was another show that they could really be proud of. It will be exciting to hear what others have to say about it once it opens with the park tomorrow!!!

Made sure to eat at 1:30 today to catch the public debut of the show. My five (18 year old) friends and I really enjoyed it. The songs are great and very recognizable, there is a ton of energy, and the performers are unbelievebly talented. I'll definitely make a point to watch it again next time I'm at the park.

I had an enjoyable day with family and friends visiting Kings Island on their opening day. As part of that day and a guest who enjoys Kings Island entertainment I took in the 5PM show of British Invasion. I had not seen Ryan's review of the show until just now and I'm surprised to see so many aspects of the show Ryan pointed out to be very similar to what I had noticed about the show. The very colorful lights set a concert like tone at times which was a big part of the Invasion back in the days. The costuming back then especially from Elton John helped set fashion trends and it was very enjoyable to see that attention to detail brought into this show as the British fashion trends were just as much a part of the British Invasion era as the music was. About half way through a new show i tend to start to watch the crowd to see their reaction to the show. British Invasion seemed to hold the attention of most guest from the young to the older guests who seemed to appreciate the the attention to detail. I noticed several groups of guest swaying and bopping to the tunes while they watched the show.

My personal review is one of relief as guests at Kings Island we have gotten used to good quality musical shows playing in the Fest Haus while we dinned or came just for the show and British Invasion surely lives up to high quality of entertainment that we have gotten used too these past several years. The song selections, lighting, costuming and casting is very well done and enjoyable. The only lower grade I could give to the show is the ending, the song Saturday Night's Alright was a good high energy song to finish with so that was not the problem but when the show ends the cast is in various areas of the stage then the audience sits there still watching as an announcement is broadcast thanking everyone for coming. I feel the show could end better in a way that the audience knows that show just ended so they know when to get up to clap or cheer to show their approval of the show. I do not mean to take away from the show in anyway but it was just an awkward way to end it and the reaction of the guests in the theater backs me up here. In conclusion I would highly recommend everyone to take the time to enjoy another quality and well rehearsed performance brought to use from a magnificent entertainment department. I give this show 4.5 stars out of 5 well worth incorporating in my families day of fun at Kings Island.

I would have picked a few more songs... mainly Pink Floyd, but that's splitting hairs. It was an amazing show.

I'd definitely make a point of seeing the show if it had a good amount of Pink Floyd in it (Does it have any?)

Perfect way to start off the show: 'In the Flesh?'

Being a huge fan of oldies and classic rock, I recognized most of the songs in the show, some of which I haven't heard in years. Overall I thought it was good, though I was a bit surprised that they put "Pinball Wizard" in the Elton John set since The Who's version is much more well-known. I'm sure it was hard to choose the songs for the show though, considering the large number of great British songs that charted in the US in the 60s and early 70s.

The only lower grade I could give to the show is the ending, the song Saturday Night's Alright was a good high energy song to finish with so that was not the problem but when the show ends the cast is in various areas of the stage then the audience sits there still watching as an announcement is broadcast thanking everyone for coming. I feel the show could end better in a way that the audience knows that show just ended so they know when to get up to clap or cheer to show their approval of the show.

You mean like the Footloose ending in Flashback Totally 80's? I miss that show!

I agree with all the reviews. Songs were recognizable, great costumes, and lots to take in, but my opinion still stays with the Busch parks for having the best stage productions.

I think the shows are getting better at KI, but still need some work.