2012 Season: What's New?

CedarPointer

I'm not sure if this is new in FoF or if it was added during Haunt last year.

0jwM1.jpg

Since most of the time, the switchbacks aren't open when I ride, it was the first time I noticed it. FoF after last year's Haunt is the best I have ever seen it. Plus, I got a ride with the lights on yesterday!

The train soundtrack has changed this year. Here are the songs that they played when I rode it earlier:

"The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" by Hugo Montenegro

"Kokomo" by the Beach Boys

"Wild Wild West" by Will Smith

"Theme From Bonanza"

No "Land Down Under?!" :(

Nope, not this year. Not really surprising though since the water park is no longer Australian-themed.

Cotton Eyed Joe

I'm not sure if that's still part of the soundtrack this year, but since there wasn't a stop at the water park, there may be another song in there that we didn't hear this time.

i remember last year when i rode before the waterpark opened it didnt play coj cause it didnt stop but did after but im guessing since all the other songs were different its probably gone too which sucks i loved hearing it right before u get off it was catchy :-)

Speaking of brakes and trims and stuff, how about Flight of Fear? The full stop in the middle of the ride is old news, but riding 5/22 I got the feeling it never quite reached full speed. It could be my imagination, but I swear they hit the brakes even before the first loop, just after launch. Anyone who's ridden, tell me if it seemed a bit slow to you.

Reprogramming the thing for slower speeds would be a big deal. But... I'm usually in pain from being tossed around on FOF and no such thing happened. Definitely slower.

You sure this wasn't the difference between riding in different seats on the train?

I didn't notice any difference with the ride this year. But, many times I've noticed the front seat is so smooth and more controlled (so it feels slower) than the abusive back seats of the train.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple more things I've noticed recently...

Just before the national anthem plays (at 9am now instead of 10), they blast "Today Is Gonna Be A Great Day" by Bowling For Soup (better known as the theme song to Disney's Phineas and Ferb apparently) and all the admissions employees run out of guest services cheering and high-fiving the guests.

Also, guests now get to assist with "officially" opening Kings Island, though I'm not sure how they choose who gets to do this. The guests count down from 10 and after getting to 1 announce "Kings Island is now officially open!".

I would assume both of those are due to new management. The last one seems especially Disney-esque.

When I rode Xtreme Skyflyer about a month ago, I noticed the crew ran things a bit differently. They asked me if I was planning on purchasing my video at the end of my flight. I said no and they sent me to the far side (closest to Congo/Drop Tower). Oh, and as a side note, the I love the 80's store is really cool :)

beastrider97, where was that taken? I never have noticed it.

If I'm not mistaken, this was taken on the left side of the hangar, opposite from where you enter.

Whatever happened to the "selection of '70's music" that was to be played in line for The Racer? Anyone?