Opening Day 2012

beastrider97

Oh, to be at Kings Island again! The day was wonderful despite the crowds and rain, which mainly died out towards 5 o'clock.

The entrance looks really good without the security gates, very open and keeps traffic down. I noticed the new Smartravel stand and I am very happy that it is located outside of the gate, which is nicer than being heckled inside the park. I first rode BBoBH which was a walk-on. Got 1150, which is one of my highest scores! Next we got in line for Diamondback. The queue went through some of the main switchbacks, probably a 20 minute wait normally. Off in the distance, there was a storm a'brewin. Which led to the ride being shut down before we could ride. Knowing that it would be a while, we walked over to FoF and waited about an hour for 2nd row. One thing I noticed, the green lasers that were added to the launch in Halloween Haunt last year, were kept! It's a cool effect and I'm glad to see it still up. When we walked out the exit, the weather was sunny, so all the rides were open. Next, we did Delirium which was about a 30 minute wait, still a fantastic flat ride.

After we rode Delirium, we all felt a little hungry. We walked in to the Festhaus and went over to LaRosa's. I decided to try the new "Fresh, never frozen" burger. With fries, it was $10. It was served room temperature, but had decent flavor. I would only have it again if were right off a grill or kept hot. We caught the first part of the British Invasion show, which I enjoyed.

Next, we rode Drop Tower, with about a 30 minute wait. I still rank this as my favorite flat in the park. No matter how many times I ride it, I still get a flutter in my chest! Since the weather was nice, we walked back over to Diamondback and waited about 40 minutes for 3rd row. For some reason, the kids in line for the 4th row decided they were going to ride in the 3rd. I decided I would let it go, and hopped in 4th row. The Beast awaited us, and we waited for him for 40 minutes. Part way through our wait, they decided to take a train off. I have no idea why, but operation slowed down with the removal of a train. Rode in the second to last row, which I believe is the best seat for the finale and really has the crazy feel to it.Vortex was next with a 15 minute wait. Rode in the second to last row, and had my smoothest ride on Vortex to date! Racer was next, and it was interesting to see how they've opened up the station. I wonder how they will change the main queue for this change, but it makes it much easier to coordinate with friends who may be riding on the other train. We rode Delirium once more, with a 20 minute wait.

It was about 8:30 at this point, I wasn't very hungry so I decide I would try the Churro dippers at Hank's Burrito Shack since they were on the menu. To my disappointment they were out. I could never find the Giant Churros, or the Coke Freestyle machine, that were said to be new for this year. I later got Fried Cookie Dough, which was surprisingly good!

Invertigo had a short line, about 20 minutes. The new paint job is a nice improvement, although I wish they had redone the sign, as it is still red/yellow. We walked over to Diamondback again, and found that the line was just the stairs! I rode it three more times in 2nd, 16th, and 15th. An awesome ride all around! We finally hopped in line for a famous Beast night ride. While waiting, talked to some cool people that were getting on the same train as me. Finally got on the last train of the night, 3rd row! A great way to end a great day.

I was surprised to see that WindSeeker never opened. It seemed as if the park was doing something with the shock absorbers on all the arms, although I can't be sure. The Crypt looks like barely a thought was put in on how to "cover" it up. At the very least, a sign like Dollywood's with Timber Tower, should be out to inform guests. I am still wondering where the Freestyle machine and Giant Churros are. I guess that's the fun of exploring the park!

Thanks for reading!

My neighbor works at K.I. this year so we stopped in the Emporium where she worked to say hi. When we asked where the Coke freestyle machine was she said that they told all the employees that it was a few months late and wont get here for 2 or 3 months.

That's disappointing. At the Greene in Bevercreek, 2 places have one now, and they are fantastic soda dispensers. I hope that when it gets here, that it will be $2 souvenir refills.

Great report! Like Terpy said, a room temperature burger is alarming; I was going to try one next time, but may skip it now, at least until I hear that they're no longer being served that cold.

My neighbor works at K.I. this year so we stopped in the Emporium where she worked to say hi. When we asked where the Coke freestyle machine was she said that they told all the employees that it was a few months late and wont get here for 2 or 3 months.

That's disappointing. At the Greene in Bevercreek, 2 places have one now, and they are fantastic soda dispensers. I hope that when it gets here, that it will be $2 souvenir refills.

Which places at the Greene? I'm nearby and may go over there to try one of them.

Which places at the Greene? I'm nearby and may go over there to try one of them.

I know it is at Extraordinary Burgers. I'm pretty sure that BD's Mongolian Grill got one too. I highly recommend the Cherry, Vanilla Coke.

OK, thanks. I may drive over there soon and check one out.