English Invasion: first trip to Ohio

London Calling

Hello Folks

My friends and I are coming to Ohio from London, England, to ride your world famous rollercoasters. Like Kings Island itself, we are celebrating our 40th birthdays, and rather than visit our usual European coasters we thought we'd do the big one and come to Ohio!

First drop, Kings Island, then onto Cedar Point. We'll be spending one day only at Kings Island and would welcome your advice on how best to spend our day. what are the unmissable rides? Is there a good order /route to ride them in to make the most of the day? we're planning to get the fast track pass and early rider hour as we are coming from so far far away. any other top tips?

cheers all x

Wow, it's pretty cool how you guys are asking us for tips! :)

You must NOT miss rides on The Beast, Diamondback, Flight of Fear and Vortex in terms of roller coasters. Other than that, most other rides you should still ride, just because there is not one bad ride at Kings Island.

Drop Tower, Delirium, WindSeeker, and any midway rides are fun rides too to ride.

Now, when you said "early rider hour" - you cannot do that unless you have Gold passes, which are season passes to the park..but the Fast Lane passes are worth it especially from where you're coming from!

The order you ride things should be: Major rides first (Diamondback, The Beast, Flight of Fear, etc) then just go on whatever ride you pass.

Have fun! :)

• Like 2

Even on very crowded days I find that I still have time to hit up all the major rides. Don't forget to try and take in some shows and you have to try Skyline it is the best!'

As for Cedar Point I would hit up Maverick, Top Thrill Dragster, and MF first and Raptor towards the middle of day. Don't let the size of the Raptor line full you either. I have waited the entire queue full of people and was only about 90 minutes.

With the Fast Lane pass, you can pretty much do whatever you want whenever you want. The only non-upcharge ride not on the Fast Lane program that can generate long lines is White Water Canyon, which can be upwards of 30 minutes on a hot weekday afternoon. I would strongly recommend The Beast after dark.

Note that the early rider hour at Kings Island requires a Gold or Platinum season pass, as jdawg pointed out (at Cedar Point, resort guests can also partake in early rides). Depending on how many days you're spending at Cedar Point and whether you're going to other Cedar Fair parks, a Platinum Pass for each of you might be cheaper than regular daily admission, especially if you stay at certain Cedar Point Resorts, where a Platinum Pass can get you 10% off the cost of your room if you book by phone.

There's plenty of good Cedar Point tips buried in the "Other Amusement Parks" forum; see what you can turn up with the search function. One good thread on CP is here: http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?/topic/23254-cedar-point-tips/

Have fun!

Wow, KI is getting lots of internationalists, i met someone in line last year from south wales. anyway, if i were you and the friend, i would go straight to Invertigo, then to Drop Tower, and off to flight deck, then Delirium, Diamondback, beast, Flight of Fear, Firehawk(if its running), Vortex, Backlot Stunt Coaster, oh and dont forget the other little flats, slingshot(need to pay extra for) and then viking fury, oh and eXtreme Skyflyer(need to pay extra for) ! good luck!

London Calling:

In order to hit as many rides as possible, I would suggest starting in the 'Action Zone' section of the park, and slowly making your way across the outside of the park. (Action Zone > Octoberfest > Coney Mall > X-Base > Rivertown > Planet Snoopy) This is because a plurality of park visitors start in Rivertown or Coney Mall...

The following rides have low capacity, and typically long lines:

* Invertigo

* Firehawk

* Backlot Stunt Coaster

* Boo Blasters on Boo Hill

I would suggest riding these while many of the park guests are eating meals.

The following rides (I believe) are considerably different from what at least the largest amusement parks in Great Britain have to offer:

* Flight Deck (One of the few remaining suspended coasters. Its FARRR off the beaten path, but certainly worth looking for.)

* Drop Zone (Either is the tallest gyro drop, or has the longest drop...)

* Delirium (Only a few in the world, though the two in the United States are found at Kings Island and Cedar Point.)

* Adventure Express (Custom theme.)

* Flight of Fear (First LIM launched coaster, wickedly twisted.)

* Firehawk (MUCH different from the B&M Flying Coaster, i.e. Air, Alton Towers.)

* Italian Job: Stunt Track (Heavily themed.)

* Vortex (Again, one of the last remaining.)

* WindSeeker (Year old model, though also found at Cedar Point.)

* The Beast (Custom Terrain Coaster.)

* Eiffel Tower (Excellent view of the park, and the thickly forested American Midwest.)

The best priced food restaurant in the park is (IMO) 'Outer Hanks,' located in Octoberfest. They sell reasonably priced fried fish, chicken, and shrimp. Most the rest of the park is overpriced. I also would suggest Skyline Chili, for the local flavor. You will not find so-called Cincinnati chili almost anywhere else in the United States.

The pizza (located throughout the park) I would suggest not purchasing... Very, very expensive. Not good quality.

You really should eat at Skyline as others have said...expecting you haven't had it before, it really is a unique taste you will not find anywhere else but Cincinnati (and a couple in Florida..not sure why).

If you don't know what Skyline is...well , it's basically noodles with chili on top. It may sound gross at first, but mmm. It has become a tradition for me to get it every time I go to Kings Island!

One more tip: Skip the water park if you only will spend a day at Kings Island. It is not worth it - spend all your time on the dry side!

The best priced food restaurant in the park is (IMO) 'Outer Hanks,' located in Octoberfest. They sell reasonably priced fried fish, chicken, and shrimp.

Outer Hanks has been changed to Hank's Burrito Shack.

Correct. The seafood is no longer available there.

That is so awesome that "The English Are Coming" to KI!

Here's a big ride run-down for you, with 3 being Must-Ride, 2 being Try To Ride It and 1 being If You Have Time.

Invertigo: 3 - only face-to-face coaster in the Midwest!

Drop Tower: 2 - good adrenaline rush

Delirium: 2 - one of the best flats at the park. Swings you at a 135o angle while spinning!

Flight Deck: 1 - KI's only suspended coaster.

Adventure Express: 1 - fun family coaster with no big dr-, well, you'll see. ;)

Racer: 2 - Started the wooden coaster rebirth in the 1970s.

Flight of Fear: 3 - indoor dark coaster. You don't know whether you're upside down or not!

Firehawk: 2 - first flying coaster at KI, but breaks down a lot, with very, very long lines.

WindSeeker: 2 - basically, you spin around in a circle 92 m high.

Vortex: 3 - first ever coaster with six inversions!

The Beast: 3 - hidden from sight except for the first lift hill, you don't know whats coming next. Ride at night for best experience.

Diamondback: 3 - the tallest (70 m), fastest (129 km/h) coaster at KI!

Backlot Stunt Coaster: 1 - fun little coaster with speed.

What day of the week will you be at KI? If you're mid week, you may not really need that fast pass line. It won't hurt your experience, but it might be money best spent elsewhere. If you're coming on a saturday, then it may well be worth the cost considering the distance that you're traveling.

If you have access to ERT, I'd hit Invertigo first as one of the 2 ERT "adult" rides. Its a fun ride, but the lines can get long, and its something that really only needs to be experienced once, unlike The Beast or other rides.

I'd then head over to Planet Snoopy and hit Boo Blaster on Boo Hill. Its a family style ride, but the lines can get backed up, might as well knock it out during ERT. Like Invertigo, its something you can experience once and be good (unless your traveling with young children like mine who want to ride it at least twice every visit)

After that, I'd head over to Diamonback and ride that as long as ERT affords you.

Once ERT expires, I'd attempt to hit some of the long wait time rides that people have mentioned, particularly Firehawk. Its personally one of my favorites as it offers a very unique experience in comparision to other rides. After that, Flight of Fear is right next door, so take a spin on an awesome indoor coaster.

After that, I'd work your way around the park, ride The Beast both early and late at night. Take a ride on the train, while you're in that part of the park and work you way over to Vortex.

Using ERT, and hitting Invertigo, Boo Blasters, Diamonback, Firehawk, Flight of Fear, The Beast and the Train, its probably time for lunch. The menu options are said to be upgraded this season, but if its not a busy day in the park, I'd consider leaving the park for an hour and a half and eating outside of the park. There are many options w/n the area if you take up that coarse, or you can do this for dinner if you'd rather stick in the park thru lunch. If you don't want to leave, or are looking to spend as much time in the park, skyline is great, the ones in the park are not as good as the chains in the area, but its distinctly cincy. Might not meet your english tastebuds, but worth a try at any rate.

anyhoo, after lunch, I'd hit up the coney mall area. Their are numerous "classic" flats in the area, as well as the original roller coaster for the park The Racer.

Work you way back to the Action Zone, Adventure Express is on your way and the lines are generally short, flight deck is way in the back, and lines are usually short as well. Drop zone can be a wait, as well as Delirium, congo falls will be a short wait. At that point, you should be done w/ Action Zone where you started the day on Invertigo. Hit up viking fury on your way back to the middle of the park

After that, I'd hit up Eiffel Tower for some views of the park and area, then the back lot stunt coaster located behind Eiffel Tower.

At this point, you've hit just about everything in the park, it should also be getting close to dinner time, so if you left the park at lunch, grab something in the park, or vice versa, or just stay in the park and try something different.

At night, definently plan on a night time beast ride, hit a few other rides that you enjoyed earlier.

enjoy your holiday.

This is brilliant advice, thank you all. We are members of the European Coaster Club which gives us ERT at Kings Island. We will be there on a Sunday, so I think the queues might be quite big (?) hence the fast passes. We will definately skip the waterpark and spend all day dry side, and try the Cincinnati Chilli (it sounds strange)! Shame about the SOB but we can't wait to ride The Beast at night (and day of course too).

Thanks for all your tips. We're going to plan a great day there. Can't wait!

:lol:

If your not up to a big bowl of chili cheese pasta, Skyline also sells dangerously delicious chili cheese dogs that are 2 to 3 bites of yummitude.

Not sure why others are hating on our waterpark since it was completely redone this winter and no one has experienced it operating.

If British guests invade KI and watch the British Invasion show, will they get sucked into a space/time Vortex? :)

Enjoy our addiction.

If your not up to a big bowl of chili cheese pasta, Skyline also sells dangerously delicious chili cheese dogs that are 2 to 3 bites of yummitude.

Not sure why others are hating on our waterpark since it was completely redone this winter and no one has experienced it operating.

If British guests invade KI and watch the British Invasion show, will they get sucked into a space/time Vortex? :)

Enjoy our addiction.

It's still not worth it...no memorable water slides..

I bet the waterpark is great. However, as we're just there for a precious one day only we really want to maximise our ride times! I went to an American waterpark last year (Hershey Park, PA) and it was fantastic (it's too cold to have any decent outdoor waterparks in England) but despite the lovely American weather it was quite cold, especially queueing for the slides.

@Jdawg we might well get sucked into a space/time Vortex and end up back in Britain!

@girlafraid hello from East London x

• 3 weeks later...