Met Mr. Ouimet yesterday (Sat 5/5/12) at KI - RIP .....SOB

TheLip2

As a great man once told me "man can resort to the most primative of ways", i am deeply sorry for this occurence Scott. Many "extreme fanatics" can go a tad bit overboard on the SOB decisions, which could lead to many occurences. Its just a very long and quite interesting topic, since no one else was at the place that you were, many are sceptic about your occurence. Only you and Mr. O. know what happened on that day, and only you could say what is the truth. Now i will not take any kind of side on liar or truth maker, but heed this word, facts must support a statement.

I am giving this too much credence, but I can tell you that my girlfriend heard most of the conversation. She may have missed the very beginning. I am a 43 year old man with a house, friends, good job, nice car. I don't need any extra attention in my life, so there is no motive. My girlfriend is a 34 year old school teacher and a single mother of 3 children. I have plenty of drama with my job, just saying, i meet and deal with more people (difficult) in a day than most of you will in a month. I don't need a computer to socialize or hide behind. Socializing is my job.

• Like 1

As a great man once told me "man can resort to the most primative of ways", i am deeply sorry for this occurence Scott. Many "extreme fanatics" can go a tad bit overboard on the SOB decisions, which could lead to many occurences. Its just a very long and quite interesting topic, since no one else was at the place that you were, many are sceptic about your occurence. Only you and Mr. O. know what happened on that day, and only you could say what is the truth. Now i will not take any kind of side on liar or truth maker, but heed this word, facts must support a statement.

Why? They don't necessarily even in a court of law. There, judges decide the law, and juries decide the facts. Statements. Even if true yesterday, things could change tomorrow. That does NOT make the reporter of the statement mistaken, wrong or anything else.

I'm not saying I believe or disbelieve Lip, but I think there's a significant tendency for disbelief involved when the park has been tight-lipped about the ride for nearly three years and then the new CEO shows up and divulges something like that to a regular guest. I don't believe that inherently says anything about Lip's credibility, as it's not like we know Ouimet's precedence for revealing Cedar Fair's plans like that, but it's a pretty sharp contrast from what we've known from Kinzel. Rather than condemn the guy, how about we watch what happens? At least he isn't finding mystic Son of Beast hints in the chainwide Thrills Connect commercials.

That being said, Greg Scheid inviting people to the International Restaurant does seem to be in line with the significantly improved customer service and "best day of the year" focuses for the chain. I think that and the fireworks countdown are easily one of the coolest ways to do that--way to go, KI! I know, if I were still a kid (in the strict sense), those would be some of the best memories I could have at the park if I wasn't a regular visitor.

Lip2, I greatly appreciate your information that you have given us. I think what you said is telling and is truthful.

But, you have to give people credit, its been closed since May 2009. Like me and several others, it is my favorite ride in the park and would just like to see an answer soon, and the answer that you hinted at, was not good for the future of SoB.

• Like 1

Because B follows A does not necessarily mean A caused B. If my dog burps tonight and the sun rises in the East tomorrow, that does not necessarily mean my dog's burping caused the sun to rise.

Yes, I understand that, but this incident is a little too obvious to think that the park just wanted to close the ride just at the same time someone complained about being injured on it. I understand your point but think its brazenly obvious that the ride closed because of that incident.

• Like 1

Here's what i would of said to the lady who said she was hurt on SOB. We will need to see your medical records saying that you were hurt because of the ride so we have proof. A court would say the same thing alot of times. If you were hurt as a result of a ride or roller coaster, then you must have proof from the doctors or hospitals or by the EMT's at the park. Problem is, did she sue the park? Alot of people who have health problems don't know it till they get on a ride or roller coaster. Then the G's bring out the issue's. But alot of people go against doctors orders and still ride stuff anyway. Did the SOB cause her injury? Only her medical records know that. If you say you got hurt, then bring proof saying you did. If the lady did, then the park only knows that.

Here's what i would of said to the lady who said she was hurt on SOB. I will need to see your medical record saying you were hurt because of the ride. A court would say the same thing. If you were hurt as a result of something, then you must have proof from the doctors or hospitals. Problem is, did she sue the park?

See, this is what I hate. The accident was the last day of May, but, she didnt go and complain to the park for almost TWO weeks later! It couldnt of been that bad if she waited two weeks!

First off, thanks to the OP. Glad you're not letting the disbelievers bother you, it is an Internet forum so... feel free to post please.

This off-season rivals 07' when we got DB...and I joined KIC because I'm so excited about all the things I'm hearing about the new management style. Everything from utilizing the beach at CP and the removal of Big Ugly Screen to the first hand accounts of the improved atmosphere at KI and the quality of Mr. Oumet's character. I like to give credit where it's due and I'm incredibly grateful for the changes you're bringing my beloved parks, especially concerning greater empowerment of and appreciation for CF employees.

• Like 1

Here's what i would of said to the lady who said she was hurt on SOB. We will need to see your medical records saying that you were hurt because of the ride so we have proof. A court would say the same thing alot of times. If you were hurt as a result of a ride or roller coaster, then you must have proof from the doctors or hospitals or by the EMT's at the park. [...] Did the SOB cause her injury? Only her medical records know that. If you say you got hurt, then bring proof saying you did. If the lady did, then the park only knows that.

Good thing that those sorts of things were actually presented in the accident report, then. I don't think anyone can just say "oh, I think this ride hurt me one time" and catch any serious attention--if so, shouldn't nearly every ride at Kings Island be shut down because "my friend's mom's dog's groomer's babysitter's aunt rode this ride once and almost fell out"? We've got a thread for those sorts of things, after all.

I agree with The Interpreter. If the manager has been unsatisfied with the ride experience and a guest comes forth with a medical issue proven to be caused by the ride, why would they reopen it? Management was discontent with the coaster, and the coaster proved their point. Operation beyond that moment is an obvious liability.

If I was to severely injure my neck while riding the Son of Beast or even The Beast, would they close down the rides and keep them closed and consider replacing them due to my injury? If you said, yes, then consider after my medical history is revealed, it will show that I have had two cervical spinal fusion surgeries and I had no business riding thrill rides and under further review, my surgeon has warned me against riding those rides period if I valued the health of my spine. People ride these rides even when they know they have medical conditions that should preclude them from riding them. I am not saying the person injured was the direct cause of the ride, but prior conditions known or suspected should be revealed in any law suit and damages be based on this.

Now I am not doubting that this conversation did not take place but I can not see any company official revealing the plans for SOB to a regular guest. If Don knows what the plans are, he can not reveal it until he is given the green light by higher ups in a press conference.

If I was to severely injure my neck while riding the Son of Beast or even The Beast, would they close down the rides and keep them closed and consider replacing them due to my injury? If you said, yes, then consider after my medical history is revealed, it will show that I have had two cervical spinal fusion surgeries and I had no business riding thrill rides and under further review, my surgeon has warned me against riding those rides period if I valued the health of my spine. People ride these rides even when they know they have medical conditions that should preclude them from riding them. I am not saying the person injured was the direct cause of the ride, but prior conditions known or suspected should be revealed in any law suit and damages be based on this.

Now I am not doubting that this conversation did not take place but I can not see any company official revealing the plans for SOB to a regular guest. If Don knows what the plans are, he can not reveal it until he is given the green light by higher ups in a press conference.

There were five guys in the group total. Don was not even around....

Logically, I do not see them announcing the demise of SOB until they can make it part of a story that is positive. (ie. What you are getting . . . not what they are taking away.) He knew he could tell because anything he told me would only be considered rumor. They aren't going to take it "public" to the media until they can USE the media. I think that you will find during the season that you will get more reports of guests saying the same thing. Mr. Ouimet clearly doesn't consider it a "state secret" like his predecessors. You should also note that Mr. Ouimet walked away from the group to talk to me. No one from the group followed him or came over to listen to what he was talking about. When I walked away I did not look back, but as I noted, Greg Scheid then caught up with me after I had walked 100-150 feet away from the original conversation. He also came alone and told me that Mr. Ouimet told him about us. So, apparently he went back to the group and was telling his GM about our conversation to some extent. I would like to know if Matt told Greg that he should invite us or if it was Greg's idea after Matt told him of our conversation. Personally I think he was TRAINING his GM. I have never seen Greg out in the park before and I have frequently seen Don in the park, but on this day Don was not present. Infer what you will, but CHANGE is happening. There is a new sheriff in town and his name is Ouimet.

For what it's worth, I've seen Greg out and about in the park on many occasions in the past. Most of the time he is with a group of 3-4 suits, but he has also been very personable and taken the time to interact with guests when approached.

Don is also in the park frequently, although I don't know that I've ever seen he and Greg wandering together.

I totally forgot two other things that he said. He asked what my favorite park was and I told him that I really liked Kings Dominion. He then went on to tell me how great the GM Pat Jones is down there. When he was asking me about visits to Cedar Point and discussing that park he said something like, "Be honest with me, are you mad at me?" I said, "Mad at you for what?" He said, "For taking out Wildcat." I replied that I did not even know that they were taking out Wildcat. He then asked if I ever got to ride it and I said that I had. That was pretty much the end of that part.