New Concrete Squares throughout the park?

coasterrz

Has anyone else noticed the new concrete squares that have sprung up around the park? The pads are about 4 feet by 4 feet wide. In the center of all of them there is a metal receptacle box, which I assume is for electricity. There are three scattered in the grass outside the metal detectors. There is also one outside the Skeeball building in Coney Mall, one across from the restrooms in Rivertown near the Wild Thornberrys River Adventure. There is also one located outside the restroom in Rivertown by the Rivertown Pizza. I would assume that they are for some sort of map? But it wouldn`t make sense to have three of them outside the entrance. Has anyone else noticed these? Any clues to what purpose these will/do serve?

Infrastructure improvements/replacement/upgrades wouldn't surprise me at all. I doubt that the real electrical heart of the park has been totally revamped since the park was built - but then again, I'm not anywhere near knowledgable on the topic. Can anyone else help?

I thought that these locations could be for new park maps. However, why would they have three of them outside the entrance to the park? I honestly hope they don`t plaster them with advertisements. I do believe the old ones had some advertisements on them. Why did the park remove the old park map locations anyway?

I have no idea what any of you are talking about....I guess I just don't notice insignificant things in various places aroud the park.... Now if new coasters started popping up I would notice them...

Tiny

maybe the clouds are in the way tiny. jk.

I really hope they are not for advertisements. The only two I have seen are next to Yogi and Fred entering HB and they are rather large pads. I asked a couple coworkers and none of them had a clue. I am sure we will all find out soon enough what they are for.

They used to have several large maps hanging throughout the park. There used to be one by the restrooms at the main entrance into Coney. Also, there used to be one on the side of the Eiffel Tower near the entrance to Hanna Barbera Land, around where the Message Center is located (there might be a map there today). Also, there used to be a map right outside the restroom in Rivertown near the Wild Thornberrys. They removed that one a season or two ago.

At PGA the same squares have been showing up around the park, as well. According to our employee newsletter we got, the electrical hookups are for a new group locator system. Each outlet will power a kiosk that guests can go to and will show the location of a member of their party, if they do get lost. Guests just have to purchase a wristband at the main gate in order to use this service at the various kiosks. Not sure if that is exactly what PKI is doing, but it sure sounds like the same thing.

-Chris

At PGA the same squares have been showing up around the park, as well. According to our employee newsletter we got, the electrical hookups are for a new group locator system. Each outlet will power a kiosk that guests can go to and will show the location of a member of their party, if they do get lost. Guests just have to purchase a wristband at the main gate in order to use this service at the various kiosks. Not sure if that is exactly what PKI is doing, but it sure sounds like the same thing.

-Chris

That kind of stuff has become obselete for me and my friends since we all got cell phones, but that would be an EXCELLENT safety measure for parents with kids who are just old enough to wander off on their own. It would be funny to buy one and slip it into a random person's bag and just check up on where he or she is at random times during the day.

While those kiosks will be beneficial to some, I think there might be too many of them. There is at lest one or two of these things per area. Are they getting rid of the Message centers then? While I think that this is a great service, I question whether or not they are overdoing it a little. Additionally, some of the squares are located a good three or four feet off the midway. I don`t know if that means anything, but if they are for finding a lost guest, that will be kind of far from the midway to reach the kiosk, unless it extends past the concrete footer.

they better be for maps... it gets annoying having to run down the back steps on beast to stop people walkings through the side gate... aslo.... it might help people from stop calling The Beast The Vortex... no offences.. but thats just wrong...

i dont think most people really need that many advertisements around to get them to do something anyway...

Another thing is that the park already has a lot of advertising in it, without special kiosks/displays for them. All the Paramount/Viacom tie ins are a lot of advertisements. Then there are the advertisements for PKI`s corporate sponsors. While I think that they cloud some of the magic of the amusement park experience, advertisements do generate money for the park (excluding tie ins with ownership). The money is used to help keep costs down, to cover maintenance costs and for ride development. I would not be opposed to the advertisements if they are along side maps of the park. I don`t know why they got ride of these in the first place. While I think the locator system would be cool and better than the message centers, I don`t know how necessary they are with the current popularity of cell phones and walkie talkies phones like Nextel.

The people locater would be a great idea. When I was young and very new to PKI, I got lost there with my even younger cousin. We walked out of that slime maze thing, and couldn't find the adults in our group. We waited at Tower, and they eventually showed up. Turns out, there was more than 1 exit, and they were waiting at a different one. If they had these things, then we prolly wouldn't have had to wait at Tower for very long.

if you haven't noticed, I think that those concrete squares now have company in the form of what looks to be a very wide rectangular advertisement sign on top of them. Granted they are all still blank, but they pretty much look like advertisement signs to me.

All the concrete pads I saw today were the same as they have been since they first sprouted. The one in Rivertown by Wings, the one at the entrance to Coney Mall, and the ones outside the entrance are all still the same as they have been since they first appeared.

All the concrete pads I saw today were the same as they have been since they first sprouted. The one in Rivertown by Wings, the one at the entrance to Coney Mall, and the ones outside the entrance are all still the same as they have been since they first appeared.

Perhaps I misunderstood, but one area I noticed the signs was behind the tomb raider promotional statue behind the Eiphel Tower.

Those black boxes by the clock and tower are simply for ads. I know that. There is one in the waterpark near Dive Shack and they put the 'ad roll' in it last night. There are three or four ads, all for the park, that scroll through. They are also backlit so they can be read at night.

The big concrete squares are still a mystery however.