Kid on beast - 1985

slitthythroat

Pond was removed in the early 1990s to re-route the exit and make it handicap accessible, as well as it being deemed unsanitary. Vortex was built years before the pond was removed. It was also at this time that the 4th queue house was removed. (Yes The Beast originally had 4 queue houses.)

Shaggy

Pond was removed in the early 1990s to re-route the exit and make it handicap accessible, as well as it being deemed unsanitary. Vortex was built years before the pond was removed. It was also at this time that the 4th queue house was removed. (Yes The Beast originally had 4 queue houses.)

Shaggy

Where was the fourth queue? I can't picture it in my mind.

Seeing old videos like that makes me miss the old buzz bars in the trains. Today's trains feel so constricting with the seat divider and lap bar. Hopefully the industry will continue to innovate and come up with better trains/improvements for existing rides. A little bouncing around in the train made it fun.

Seeing old videos like that makes me miss the old buzz bars in the trains. Today's trains feel so constricting with the seat divider and lap bar. Hopefully the industry will continue to innovate and come up with better trains/improvements for

existing rides. A little bouncing around in the train made it fun.

And the hard urethane foam, found mostly in Ohio, Georgia and New Jersey.

Then again, you ain't seen confining until you ride Coney Island Cyclone in its current trains, slated for replacement soon. Compare Jackrabbit at Kennywood. Or the Camden Park Big Dipper or Kennywood's Thunderbolt.

Seeing old videos like that makes me miss the old buzz bars in the trains. Today's trains feel so constricting with the seat divider and lap bar. Hopefully the industry will continue to innovate and come up with better trains/improvements for

existing rides. A little bouncing around in the train made it fun.

And the hard urethane foam, found mostly in Ohio, Georgia and New Jersey.

Then again, you ain't seen confining until you ride Coney Island Cyclone in its current trains, slated for replacement soon. Compare Jackrabbit at Kennywood. Or the Camden Park Big Dipper or Kennywood's Thunderbolt.

The Big Dipper....rough.

• 3 weeks later...

Shaggy

Where was the fourth queue? I can't picture it in my mind.

Fourth queue house was adjacent (more or less) to the current photo stand. You can probably still see the concrete slab if you look thru the fence on your way out. :P

:blink: The longest I've ever waited for any ride was two hours for Diamondback, and that was almost entirely a rain delay where I just opted to stay dry inside the station. Without downtime, I've never waited more than 70 minutes for anything (front seat on TTD). I can't imagine waiting in a three-hour line, let alone five hours.

You have to remember, there was a time when the rollercoaster lineup wasn't as large as it is today. Imagine my first trip to the park when the coasters lineup was: Racer, Screamin Demon, Beast, Beastie - and I know there are others who attended before Beast and Demon were added. I think this is why some of us older folks dearly miss some of the older flats as much of the day was enjoyed on Bayern Kurve, 'Tiques, Giant Slide, Rotor, KCKC, etc...

Edit to Add - FInally took another view of the video and found it interesting how different the ride is than the model they were using with the kid. Things I noticed:

- On the model, there was a bunny hill after the first drop before the tunnel and left turn

- On the model, the double helix was entered from the other side (it would have been a right hand turn)

I'm sure there is more.

Fourth queue house was adjacent (more or less) to the current photo stand. You can probably still see the concrete slab if you look thru the fence on your way out. :P

Yep. When I worked at Beast ten years ago, the first queue house was still referred to as 'middle queue'. Holdover from when the removed queue house was present.

I especially loved this:

"You can't really get a coaster 200 feet high on level ground."

How times change!

The variations in the model to reality are interesting. As mentioned, there was a bunnyhop that carries it farther under the second lift at the first left turn. Interestingly, it also shows it going underground on the second drop also. The entry to the final helix being different is extremely interesting. Was the model made correctly or was the ride changed at some point along the way (concerning the bunny hop after the first drop and final helix)?!

Anyone know how many times The Beast has changed its train specifications?

According to KingsislandPR, in the flashback to opening day thread - http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24872-flashback-till-opening-day/page__st__450__p__454698#entry454698

It opened with 5 car, 4 bench trains in 1979, but moved to the current 6 car, 3 bench trains in 1980, although there is also a picture of it testing with a 4 car, 4 bench train.

Anyone know how many times The Beast has changed its train specifications?

Someone please correct me if I am incorrect:

The current trains are revision # 2. The original trains were replaced in the early to mid 80's.

Unless you count adding the magnetic brakes, then I haven't a clue what revision they could possibly be on.