Cedar Fair

SonofBaconator

I know that CF brung great things to us, but its starting to make me kind of mad. Things changing like there is no tomorrow, that basically was the park, taken and may never return. If Paramount was owning it, the theme would be great, but they ran the horse to the dirt. CF, they brung me great things, but they took my paradise, but i guess guests cant be choosers.

I know that CF brung great things to us, but its starting to make me kind of mad. Things changing like there is no tomorrow, that basically was the park, taken and may never return. If Paramount was owning it, the theme would be great, but they ran the horse to the dirt. CF, they brung me great things, but they took my paradise, but i guess guests cant be choosers.

Paramount only owned KI for about a year before Viacom bought them. Then Viacom ran it until 2005 when it was split into Viacom and CBS (CBS getting KI) and CBS is who seemingly didn't even care.

Also, from what I hear KI was a lot better under Taft/KECO than Paramount/CF.

Paramount only owned KI for about a year before Viacom bought them.

Yes, i meant the whole time that Paramount names were upon all the rides/areas.

I do miss the Paramount rides names, however I like what Cedar Fair has done better. I felt like CBS took what was once a diverse park and turned into an everyday park. Paramount/CBS did do a lot of good things for the park and they sure knew how to theme a ride, but also I think that they started to take the charm out of the park. And with Cedar Fair, I feel that they are making the park feel more like it used to be, with the addition of pavers in Coney Mall, turning the backwards Racer forwards, and putting more work into the scenery/foliage. I'm not trying to dog Paramount/CBS, but that's my opionion on the topic.

I do miss the Paramount rides names, however I like what Cedar Fair has done better. I felt like CBS took what was once a diverse park and turned into an everyday park. Paramount/CBS did do a lot of good things for the park and they sure knew how to theme a ride, but also I think that they started to take the charm out of the park. And with Cedar Fair, I feel that they are making the park feel more like it used to be, with the addition of pavers in Coney Mall, turning the backwards Racer forwards, and putting more work into the scenery/foliage. I'm not trying to dog Paramount/CBS, but that's my opionion on the topic.

Both Racers running forward was required starting in 2008, and KECO originally ran them backwards.

Both Racers running forward was required starting in 2008, and KECO originally ran them backwards.

If I remember correctly one of them was turned backwards in the early 80's. So yeah that would either be Taft or KECO that did it.

Guest KingsIslandPR

If I remember correctly one of them was turned backwards in the early 80's. So yeah that would either be Taft or KECO that did it.

Turning one side of The Racer backwards was former marketing director Tom Nowlin's idea in May, 1982 when the park was looking for a way to compensate for The Bat roller coaster being closed for the year.

• Like 1

Guest KingsIslandPR

You are doing a great job on Facebook, and Twitter posting photos and information about Kings Island, it really helps KI PR!

Thanks! We try. What would you like to see more of on both platforms?

You are doing a great job on Facebook, and Twitter posting photos and information about Kings Island, it really helps KI PR!

Thanks! We try. What would you like to see more of on both platforms?

I'm not sure if you guys have done this yet, but I think it would be cool if you could post a historical photo from Kings Island every week. That way some of the younger audience could see what things used to be like around the park. And I will also agree with BB1 that you guys are doing a great job!

There were a lot of things that I liked about Paramount, but over all they really kind of sucked as a park operator. They always had these ambitions of Kings Island being the "Universal of the Midwest" but they were never willing to fork over the money to make it happen. Did anyone see the Italian Job concept video? Yeah, that looked EXACTLY like the ride... and yes -- I'm being sarcastic. Tomb Raider was awesome for a little while, but then we all know the fate of that one.

I'm not in love with the fact that Cedar Fair (or at least the previous management) thought that rides themed themselves, but at least what we see is what we get with CF.

Personally I believe that what you are doing right now is great sir. The Soak City photos have helped me know more of whats new at the water park. Maybe during the off season inbetween the summer and fall operating seasons, some photos of Halloween Haunt scenery. With the way you have uploaded, and kept enthusiasts update on whats happening at Kings Island, I believe you will do this easily. No complaints from me!

• Like 1

To answer the question, do I think Kings Island would be better off without Cedar Point Fair as the owner; heck no.

The Cedar Fair company brings some stability to the park that a lot of smaller companies or individual owners would not be able to provide in this economy. I don't think there is any way that it gets sold now, or that it gets ignored. If Cedar Fair didn't operate the parks, we'd probably have some company like Apollo owning it. Or it might get picked up by 6 Flags and become a cookie cutter park. If Cedar Fair didn't have it, who knows where the park would be in this economy. They have the knowledge and experience to keep it going well into the future, where some random owner might just be interested in selling it off for a minor profit to another owner who is only interested in selling it off for a minor profit to another owner who is only...and so on...

And to comment on the themes that Paramount brought, it's like Boddah said, they made theme rides; yes. But they didn't maintain them.

They had cool ideas that did not completely materialize (because they're not Disney or Universal) and what was created held up for a couple seasons before not being maintained. These wonderful themes ended up collecting dust and spider webs. I must not have been present when they handed out the Paramount era rose-colored glasses. The only thing I miss from them (and it's very minor but made the park more magical to me) is the soundtrack music that played through the park (much better than the pop tunes that get blasted now). Other than that I would have prefered that they kept their themes to themselves and just made good rides.

When CF purchased the Paramount Parks, many were critical. They feared change, which is natural. Most were used to "PKI" and not "KI" from the 80's.

I believe the changes have been positive and well thought out- to the point where some were unhappy with how long it took to change things. Knee jerk reactions or change for the sake of change often does not work. KI is a big place. It takes time to see what works for the park & for the guests.

The park is slowly reflecting what it was like during the 80's: attitude, cleanliness, fun, food, etc. The 80's were 30 some years ago, so believeing the park will be just like then is unreasonable, but I am still excited to see what will change in the next 5 years.

I don't drink the kool-aid and applaud Mr. Kinzel for pulling the trigger to get what he considered "the jewel". His vision is becoming reality and will only get better with Mr. Ouimet.

If I recall correctly Mr.Oumiet made a statement that I rather enjoyed. I am not going to quote it because I do not remember the order of the sentence but it when something along these lines. You can't go back to the old ways of thing only use the idea and expand upon it. So for example, Kings Island was great in the 80s but returning the park to the state would be foolish, take in account what they(Taft/KECO) did. Use some concepts and ideas but build from that and away, and create a whole new generation that someday will be remembered as the 80s were. I feel, no I know, we are entering a new generation for Kings Island. A new age is upon the park and I am very excited!

• Like 1