Restaurant Reviews

BB1

He remains a trademark, but is little used. New management emphasizes the local park and its attractions. This year at Six Flags Over Georgia, that's largely iLuminate (hmmm...Luminosity, Shamu, Shouka, the past repeats with a different twist). Then, next year (wait, I hear Cedar Fair reads this board...I guess you'll just have to wait for the announcement. DRAT! :))

Does anyone else here LOVE City Barbeque? I can't stop getting it...the ribs with the mac and cheese...

One of my favorite places. Wife and I had our wedding rehearsal dinner there. Best BBQ I've ever had.

I used to love City BBQ...But, I tried a new place near 275 and Dixie HWY in Springdale called SMOQ. After I ate there I wanted to drive over City BBQ and throw rocks at them for lying about having the best BBQ in Cincy!

I grew up in Memphis, worked and ate much BBQ in KC, Texas, and North Carolina, so I consider myself a bit of a BBQ common sewer :ph34r:

Trust me, this place is amazing. SMOQ

The SmoQ recommendation is justified IF you get the right items.

We tried all the meats (minus the smoked sausage) and their pulled pork is their only standout item (but it is outstanding and perhaps the best in the city). The ribs, despite being advertised as some of the best in the city, really lacked significant flavor and was missing a nice bark from a rub that would have really helped with the flavor and eye appeal. Ditto for the brisket.

The sides ranged from really good (sweet potato brulee & cornbread) to mediocre at best (baked beans). The sauces aren't bad but lean a little too middle-of-the-road for my taste. I don't believe that any of their sauces really perked up any of their meats the way a good sauce should.

All in all I think that SmoQ is worth a try but I would be hesitant to eat there a bunch because of their higher prices. Try and look for Groupons/Living Socials for them as they become available to save a few bucks. I'd grade it a B+ overall.

I talked to the owner for awhile once. He told me he spent a great deal of time and got most of his influence for his recipes in Memphis and around Mississippi.(Photos on the wall serve as his tribute) So he's familiar with true cheap BBQ joints, so I was surprised at the prices as well. I agree that the pulled pork is the best of the meats. Try the turnip greens if your a fan.

Agree on the hot dogs at the Varsity. I consider myself a bit of a hot dog connoisseur, and heard they were amazing there; but sadly they were pretty average.

The onion rings were very very good though. We didn't even go when it was crazy busy, which is what I hear that they're mainly known for: speed.

"what'll ya have, what'll ya have?!"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...