Are there underground storm shelters at KI?

Oldschool75

Around the time the film "Red Dawn" came out, Cold War hysteria was at an all time high. Kings Island built a series of underground "weather" shelters in the 80's and reallocated them for storage purposes conveniently around the time that the Berlin Wall fell. In the mid 90's they used to give tours of them.

As a PR stunt, Patrick Swayze came in and gave a speech on the day the tours opened to the public.

I'm surprised no one has shared pictures on here before.

• Like 1

I'm a firm believer in irony. Not that I'm superstitious; but if a tornado ever came at the park, I'd probably steer clear of rides with names like "Vortex," "Zephyr," or "Monster." Just sayin' :ph34r: lol...But for real, I'd like to check out where these 'duck-n-cover' shelters are located... this is the first I ever heard of them.

My teacher always told me to be specific as possible so situations like these don't arise...

Those who cast stones...or something of that bit...

And why would that have such a low probability of happening? KI could very well, and I believe they do have underground places that could, if need be, be used as shelters.

The likelihood of what?

As my teacher said, look at the main print before you say something! The likelihood of underground storm shelters.....

I'd say the likelihood of Patrick Swayze touring underground storm shelters is more likely than Boomerang Bay or Son of Beast ever coming back.

Cedar Point has recently been named 'StromReady' and they actually have storm shelter signs on certain buildings now.

By who?

http://www.wkyc.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=243462
SANDUSKY -- Cedar Point has been deemed "StormReady" by the National Weather Service, and is the first amusement park in the state the earn the credential.

The NWS StormReady program aims to help local communities, government, University and commercial sites prepare for severe weather by strengthening safety programs. Communication, education and awareness are the hallmarks of a StormReady site.

BB1, I want to see those rainbows because KI is full of what are called tornado locations. Every person who works at the park is instructed on where to take the people on the ride and in the queue in the event of a tornado. Some are above ground (Festhaus is considered a Tornado Location,) however there are some underground. For example, the turntable of WWC has a trap door that can be opened, and when this is opened, it has enough room for about 200 people (estimation on my part, IDK the actual count.) Also, the tornado location for dark ride (Boo Blasters) is the center room, which is a maintenance room that is technically underground. There is a tornado shelter under the stage near the fountains. And of course, the one in the Tech Service storage area underneath Action Theater, which is built into the side of a hill.

Where is my unicorn?

BB1, I want to see those rainbows because KI is full of what are called tornado locations. Every person who works at the park is instructed on where to take the people on the ride and in the queue in the event of a tornado. Some are above ground (Festhaus is considered a Tornado Location,) however there are some underground. For example, the turntable of WWC has a trap door that can be opened, and when this is opened, it has enough room for about 200 people (estimation on my part, IDK the actual count.) Also, the tornado location for dark ride (Boo Blasters) is the center room, which is a maintenance room that is technically underground. There is a tornado shelter under the stage near the fountains. And of course, the one in the Tech Service storage area underneath Action Theater, which is built into the side of a hill.

Where is my unicorn?

Here

http://www.everquestdragon.com/everquestdragon/main/category/Spread-the-Rainbow.aspx

also if you go to the north regions of the ocean theres sea unicorns called Narlwhals and they spout the water out of their "blow holes" and it can produce a rainbow by difraction!