Is Windseeker running yet?

stky6

And imagine if Paramount had bought a half-dozen Giant Top Spins and put them in all of their highest performing parks! Ten years later... Oops.

I don't think it's that bad, though. And we don't really know what's wrong with Knotts' ride.

^

WARNING: JOKE AHEAD!

...even worse, imagine if Paramount went crazy and built a bunch of $20,000,00+, 200 foot+ RCCA looping wooden hypercoasters and put them in all their highest-performing parks...

CEO 10 Years Later: "Oh crud..."

Granted, a move like that would have probably bankrupted Paramount... :P

Guest rcfreak339

Last year it took WindSeeker to open about a month, right? and it is so sensitive to wind, every time it was a little windy (15+) it would close it seemed like, Now this here, it's not even open at all! What a disappointing ride..

Slow your horses Jack....as said earlier both WindSeekers at Knott's and Cedar Point had extensive repairs done to them over the winter. It's a prototype, this stuff happens and it sometimes takes a while to perfect.....It's not even a year old yet.

I don't understand how a little wind at Kings Island can shut it down but gusts off of Lake Erie can keep it open... I don't get it...

That's because Cedar Point is CF's #1 park and all the others are second rate.

Just kidding - but good question. Goes back to the ride CP put in a number of years ago and over the winter, one of the supports came crashing down. Then's there's CP's Space Spiral which has stood forever - unless there's some stories on this somewhere (calling Terpy!)

You guys kinda have your expectations set a little high. Remember, it's a prototype. These sorts of things happen.

It would be understandable if it were the only Windy Seeker in an amusement park and needed extra work done to it even after it's already open. I'd even possibly forgo the issue involving the arms moving too freely and the seats getting dangerously close together as the gondola slows down. But to spend $20 million on four of the same prototypes and leave out a crucial safety element until AFTER the ride has opened to the public (and then spend another $15 million on several more at other parks in the chain)?

But I do completely agree with you on the aspect of prototype attractions.Things happen. We've had the same problem with several big attractions just within our own park (Tomb Raider/Crypt, Delirium, IJST/BLSC, Firehawk, etc.).

OK- Now, while there on Saturday I asked the elevator attendant at the Eiffel Tower why it hasn't opened yet (this may be a position the Dippin Dots guy gets promoted to... but the explanation sounded plausible). They said that the KI WindSeeker wouldn't open until outfitted with the updates given to the new one opening at Carowinds (i think that's where they said)... and assured that all of them were operating properly.

EDIT: Yep. Knott's has also been rigged with a big piece of metal that Westcoaster.net says it to hold up the outer ring. Looks like heavy duty work.

I looked at the pic and I don't get what's going on there. Certainly there's a big piece of metal, but it's attached to a moving part. The blueish colored thing at the top is pushed against a moving surface (like a brake) and this couldn't be correct. Maybe this is some sort of storage fixture for winter? It would be interesting to see the same picture zoomed out a bit.

and it is so sensitive to wind, every time it was a little windy (15+) it would close it seemed like, Now this here, it's not even open at all! What a disappointing ride..

WindSeeker should be able to handle stronger winds this year... The new hydraulic dampers will hopefully increase WindSeekers uptime.