Need more information on two rides

Jokiki

Hello everyone,

First of all I am new to this forum, but I have lurked for about a year now. I live in Tennessee, but grew up about 10 minutes away from Kings Island and still try to visit at least once a year! I have a couple of questions on two rides, but first let me give you some background information:

I am very petite 4'10" - 86 lbs.

I love coasters and heights, but I need to feel very secure, I don't like much wriggle room for the most part

What I like at Kings Island (in order): Diamondback, Flight of Fear, Beast, Vortex, old Top Gun (can't think of name), Drop Tower, and some of the other flat rides.

There are two rides I would like to try, but need more information on them: Firehawk & Delirium

Firehawk: (1) I'm mostly "worried" about the restraints here, not that they're actually unsafe, but that in my weird brain, I won't feel secure which will semi-freak me out. This ride looks like a lot of fun, but I've psyched myself out twice staring at it so far. (2) Also, is it rough at all? My grandma is 68, but loves riding still, but only if it's very very smooth, as she's getting older now - she loves Diamondback, but won't ride any other coasters due to their roughness.

Delirium: Two questions here as well (1)restraints? (2) how dizzying is it? I can handle some dizziness, but not a whole lot. I can ride the Spider, but I can not ride Scrambler or Shake, Rattle, and Roll.

As for Firehawk, the restraints WILL mess with your head. You'll BE incredibly secured, but feel like you are not. It's also a very turbulent, violent ride. Not rough, but jerky. Most late sixties adults would not want anything to do with it.

As for Delirium, there is no sensation of spinning. If you didn't know you were rotating, I sincerely doubt you'd notice. The restraints are incredibly confining. See The Crypt or Drop Tower for similar ones.

And welcome aboard!

Thanks Interpreter, the Delirium one helps a lot, that will be on my definite to do list.

As to Firehawk, thanks for the words of wisdom, I'm not sure if I can convince myself or not. My grandma is the fearless one, but she definitely won't go on it due to the jerkiness. As to the "fun" scale what would you rate Firehawk say from 1-10?

To me, Firehawk is a fun ride, yet not worth the long wait that is almost always present. I would give it a 7, while fun at first, it lost its charm on me after the first few rides.

While it isn't rough, the final flip into the brake run can be rough on some. My shoulders tend to hit the restraint a little bit at that point. Other than that part, the ride is very secure and worth a try.

Hmm, I've never ridden a flier, the only parks I've really been to are Kings Island, Cedar Point, and Dollywood. I know Diamondback, Millenium, TTD, and Wild Eagle, and maybe Raptor (unsure) are all B&M"s, and I happen to really enjoy them all.

To me, Firehawk is a fun ride, yet not worth the long wait that is almost always present. I would give it a 7, while fun at first, it lost its charm on me after the first few rides.

Is Firehawk an early entry ride?

Is Firehawk an early entry ride?

No it is not, but if you get to the rope before the "drop" you are sure to walk to it and not have too long of a wait. I did this once and got on the first train of the day!

I'm 5'2" 100 pounds, as is my nieice, who loves Firehawk. Though I felt the need to be in control, and held myself up by the 'handlebars' as we were flipped upside down, My niece likes to put her arms out like Superman. The restraints only seem as if you are not secure, like Invertigo, but after trying my niece's Superman style, just to see, I can say you are in there for the duration.

If anything, holding yourself to the back of the seat as I did only freaks you out more, due to the space between you and the restraints.

As Terpy said, there are some odd flips, and since my natural tendency is to look towards where I'm headed, it can jerk your neck a bit.

I guess I can just reccomend bring Zen Superman.

I am nowhere near as small as you, but I have lost a considerable amount of weight the last few years. It's disconcerting to me that I am now thrown around on rides, and often feel like I'm about to fly out--even though I know these restraints have all been tested and there's virtually no way it will actually happen. So I at least understand where you are coming from.

For me, Diamondback and Firehawk ar the two worst in terms of "feeling" secure. Only on my most recent ride did I actually feel comfortable enough to lift my hands off the restraint bar (wedge, whatever you call it). Compared to having been wedged in tight at my previous size, the feeling of flying out of my seat just isn't something I'm used to.

Firehawk is kind of the opposite--I feel like I will fall out instead of being thrown up, but I've only ridden it a few times. The second time was better. As mentioned, it is not open for ERT, but if you wait for it right at the rope drop you will get right on and be able to judge whether it's too rough. I doubt your grandma will like it--I would NOT classify it as rough, but it does put pressure on different parts of your body than a typical coaster. It's definitely more physically demanding than just sitting in Diamondback.

Hmm, I've never ridden a flier, the only parks I've really been to are Kings Island, Cedar Point, and Dollywood. I know Diamondback, Millenium, TTD, and Wild Eagle, and maybe Raptor (unsure) are all B&M"s, and I happen to really enjoy them all.

Actually Millennium Force and TTD are built by Intamin, not B&M, and Raptor is definitely B&M too.

I actually prefer the B&M flyers over the Vekomas. Superman: Ultimate Flight at Six Flags Over Georgia is the only one I've ridden so far. On it, I can do the Superman pose, where as on Firehawk, I have to hold on to the handlebars as well.

I'm 5'2" 100 pounds, as is my nieice, who loves Firehawk. Though I felt the need to be in control, and held myself up by the 'handlebars' as we were flipped upside down, My niece likes to put her arms out like Superman. The restraints only seem as if you are not secure, like Invertigo, but after trying my niece's Superman style, just to see, I can say you are in there for the duration.

If anything, holding yourself to the back of the seat as I did only freaks you out more, due to the space between you and the restraints.

As Terpy said, there are some odd flips, and since my natural tendency is to look towards where I'm headed, it can jerk your neck a bit.

I guess I can just reccomend bring Zen Superman.

Actually Millennium Force and TTD are built by Intamin, not B&M, and Raptor is definitely B&M too.

I actually prefer the B&M flyers over the Vekomas. Superman: Ultimate Flight at Six Flags Over Georgia is the only one I've ridden so far. On it, I can do the Superman pose, where as on Firehawk, I have to hold on to the handlebars as well.

Oops, thanks for the correction on Intamin vs B&M. I am going to Six Flags Georgia this summer, I am excited to try Superman and others!

Does anyone have a close-up picture or video of Firehawk?

Thanks Tanna, this helps that other small people have ridden it and enjoyed. The tip to stay flat is one I will remember, as I could definitely see myself propping up to the bars.

I'm nowhere near your height/weight specifications, but I just wanted to chip in my two cents on Firehawk - I've never felt truly 'secured' in that ride, even though I clearly am. I imagine most coasters of that type are similar in feeling (having never ridden any others I wouldn't know for sure), but I always feel weird during that ride, always feel like I'm seconds away from falling out because of the whole lying on your stomach, weight baring down on the restraints sensation. The only way I got over that was to ride it more. It doesn't freak me out as much as it used to. Diamondback still unnerves me a bit as well, but I've finally gotten to a point where I can hold my hands up on the hills.

I don't know but I feel more secure in Firehawk then I do on Diamondback or wind Seeker. That is just me. As far as fun goes, yeah it is a cool and fun ride but the wait time kills it for me. Ride I give a 9. Ride mixed with wait time 6.

I rode Surf dog and Delirium for the first time yesterday.Surf dog made me more dizzy then Delirium,which was hardly any dizziness at all. Delirium doesnt feel like your spinning,more of a back and forth with a turn motion.However,Delirium is one crazy ride when it peaks,i will ride it again but probably will just keep it to once a visit! I feel very safe on Firehawk,favorite ride in the park.

like Terpy, I love Firehawk, perhaps my favorite ride in the park, its a shame I didn't get to ride it last season, but having a 3 year old in tow kind of limits what you can get on, and the line is always too long to just jump on by myslef while my wife and son did the monster/scrambler the way I could with The Racer or Adventure Express.

anyhoo, I've always felt pretty secure as long as as held on to the hand grips. Going superman on that thing would freak me out, but holding onto the handles and using my arms as kind of a brace makes me feel locked in. If your grandmother enjoys Diamondback and other thrill rides, I'd recommend getting on it at least once.

I personally would liken the start of the ride program of Delirium to the start of Shake,Rattle & Roll. There's a slow turning with an outward thrust not unlike that of a scrambler (but not as violent.) Overall, however, the spinning factor is virtually obsolete once the more agressive swinging begins. I am fairly sensitive these days to intense spinning... but I've never had an issue with it on Delirium. However I do have friends who are more sensitive to spinning motions that have ridden it and complained that it did bother them.

Delirium ranks as one of the best rides in the park IMO, so it's a don't miss for me.

As far as Firehawk - I've noticed that people shorter than me seem to enjoy the ride more. I am a tall beefy guy - 6'3" 210lbs - and I find the ride confining and uncomfortable. Specifically, the way the seat back is molded there's a "bump" that falls dead in the center of my back. Also, as others have mentiones, there's a jerkiness to it. I have ridden all the Vekoma Flyers and each and everyone causes the blood to rush to my head - although I always feel like I am dangling by my ankles. Some are big fans of Firehawk - but for me it's not an enjoyable ride. But then, these days, I don't like my coasters to be as intense as I did when I was, say, 20.

But then, these days, I don't like my coasters to be as intense as I did when I was, say, 20.

I am so with you on that one! :D

I'm not a fan of Firehawk, partially due to its "jerky" nature as the Interpreter mentioned, but also because I don't like the feel of hanging against the restraints (especially after cresting the first hill). I'd say I'm average sized guy (5'9" about 155lbs) and don't mind some "freedom" in the restraints but really don't like the sensation of leaving the seat and resting against them...

I'll agree with the other posters' opinions on Delirium...I'm fairly susceptible to motion sickness (especially spinning) and have never had a problem on Delirium or MaxAir (at CP).

Hustler had,

That's always been my experience riding, being almost tossed around. Water slides are the most tossy. I've never known any other way of riding, but hearing about your difference in experiences is educating.

Medford, I had always held onto the handgrips before, until I was convinced I won't fall out.

May I add my 2 cents on older people riding coasters. My grandfather rode The Beast at 75yrs old.

I told him, "Grandpa, this is a rough coaster" (I was a little worried) After riding the coaster he comment was, "I was a tank commander in WWII, now that was a rough ride" He told me the Sherman tank had a lot rougher ride, than The Beast ever would be.

Sorry guys, I had to share that with you, since my Grandfather is no longer with us. That was about the funniest thing he ever told me.

He shrugged off riding, what I thought was a rough ride experience.

• Like 4

I am 5'6" and was about 135 lb last year. On Firehawk, unless the ride ops don't get the lap bar super tight (which they usually don't), I feel horribly insecure and get thrown around like a ragdoll, but I love those feelings. Feeling like I'm not secure in the harness and getting thrown around are about the only things left in regard to amusement rides that still scare me a bit, and being a little scared on every ride mean I never get bored with the ride. (I have no problem making myself get on because I don't get scared until I get flipped over at the top of the lift hill and realize how loose the restraints feel.)

You guys are all great. My mom may be going with me too this year, so we're both scared together, but we're also both determined to ride it together! I may hate it, and never ride it again; or I might love it, and have it become an awesome addition to my ride list. I can imagine that the ride for me would be a completely different experience than some of you larger guys for sure.

JC, if you ask them to push it tighter will they usually? I often do that on rides like Barnstormer at Dollywood or Skyhawk at Cedar Point and they usually will.

Couple more questions (yes I'm full of 'em)

About how long is Firehawk (in terms of minutes or seconds)?

When do you flip over?

JC, if you ask them to push it tighter will they usually? I often do that on rides like Barnstormer at Dollywood or Skyhawk at Cedar Point and they usually will.

They typically will, but be sure to ask the ride op as soon as they walk up to your car, as they often move quickly. If you wait until they've already pushed the lapbar down, they may have already moved on to the next car by the time you say something.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to Kings Island today, had a great time even though Diamondback was down. I rode Firehawk once, FRONT seat as we were first in queue, and really enjoyed it! The flipping over and the loop "flipped" me out a bit, but I would definitely enjoyed it regardless. I told the restraints lady that I was petrified so she pushed my restraint down as close as possible. Thank you all for your encouragement, I am very happy I rode it.