Is Disaster Transport (@ Cedar Point) doomed?

Well, Screamscape is reporting yet another Cedar Point coaster (Wildcat was recently removed) could be going the same way this next offseason- this time, it's Disaster Transport. Aka "the ride Kinzel called his biggest mistake before TTD".

http://www.screamscape.com/html/cedar_point.htm

According to Screamscape, the basis for this rumor is:

#1-Cedar Point will probably be getting a new coaster for 2013, as Kinzel stated last year there would be a BIG announcement in 2012.

#2-Survey Markers, a usual sign of a upcoming new ride, have appeared around DT's area, and on the beach nearby. There are photos on the site to confirm this.

#3-Ride operators, when asked, have been told to tell guests "to enjoy the ride as much as they can this season".

Well, this rumor looks like it could be true- either that or they are going to build a new coaster ON TOP of DT :blink: ...which could be cool. But I doubt it...

Wonder what could be going there...B&M Wingrider? A wooden coaster that runs along the beach? Something else? Let the comments begin!

The ride operators would not be told anything.

I spoke with John H. (The GM) this week about Luminosity and a research project we work together on in the park every fall, and when I mentioned the markings around DT, all he said was "If I told you, I would have to kill you", with a wink and a smile.

The ride ops might assume that something is going on due to the markings, but they are not on the list of "in the know" individuals. It's a very, very short list, and anyone who actually does know would never, ever utter a word, because that would mean immediate and eternal removal from said list. ;)

And this is not to suggest that the DT area is not where the "something new" is coming, but some of the markings people are getting all excited about have literally been there since MaxAir was installed.

#3-Ride operators, when asked, have been told to tell guests "to enjoy the ride as much as they can this season".

Are ride ops CP's version of Dippin Dots guys?

Maybe I'm not reading enough into this, but if survey markers are around a ride, it's going to be natural for guests to ask questions. Based on this, I'd expect them to be given a bunch of stock answers - doesn't mean they know the plan, just means they can answer a guest - and said answer may or may not be a hint as to what is really happening.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm not reading enough into this, but if survey markers are around a ride, it's going to be natural for guests to ask questions. Based on this, I'd expect them to be given a bunch of stock answers - doesn't mean they know the plan, just means they can answer a guest - and said answer may or may not be a hint as to what is really happening.

Uhhh alrighty then umm yeah.....

What exactly do you find so ridiculous about my thought - using another example, when Diamondback was under construction but before the announcement, do you think the Eiffel Tower ride ops were given any talking points on how to answer questions?

What exactly do you find so ridiculous about my thought - using another example, when Diamondback was under construction but before the announcement, do you think the Eiffel Tower ride ops were given any talking points on how to answer questions?

I dont find anything ridiculous, just out of the blue, i could understand the roller coaster may go to the grave in the next year or so, just that you placed my post in that statement, unto which i was caught off guard.

I particularly enjoy DT. I would miss it, but would not be the end of the world and would not keep me from visiting the park.

On a side note, I really liked wildcat as well. I will miss WC!

I'm with this, though it would be more of I miss DT and don't miss WC as much.

Cedar Point has a variety of coasters and DT is one of the few bobsled coasters left. I don't think it's unpopular however is does use a chunk of land which could be used to bolster attendance with a new ride

I particularly enjoy DT. I would miss it, but would not be the end of the world and would not keep me from visiting the park.

On a side note, I really liked wildcat as well. I will miss WC!

I'm with this, though it would be more of I miss DT and don't miss WC as much.

Yeah, I think I might be with you on this one as well. I would miss DT a little more. A bonus for this ride is that you get relief with AC in the queue as well!

I have an interesting question. If Cedar Point is trying to pass, SF. Magic Mountain in the coaster wars, how are they gonna win, by taking out two coasters in back to back years. I know, there is a rumor of a "family" coaster, and possible, "thrill" coaster, but that doesn't increase the current coaster count? Am I missing something, or did I just not read enough?

It's a good ride, but not something I think is worth keeping around. It's in an ugly tan building, and that area has soooo much potential. A wooden coaster along the beach would be awesome, as a tribute to the old Cedar Point Cyclone which was located pretty close to that area. I'd love to see that section of the park turn into an "extreme" Boardwalk section of the park. You have it almost there already - chair swings, ferris wheel, spinny flat ride, tower, and a launched coaster. Only these are some of the best of their kinds. I'd like a GCI coaster where the tan building sits.

One thing I'll say about Cedar Fair is that they don't just sit attractions at random. When they put up a big, new attraction they re-innovate the entire area around it. I hope the Wicked Twister midway gets the same type of re-innovation that Rivertown got when they built Diamondback.

That being said, the Million Dollar midway (old Wildcat area) WILL get some major work done to it. This has already been stated. The WIcked Twister Midway is all speculation as is.