Diamondback Seems to be Down

gad198

I usually check the webcams before coming out to the park. Diamondback seemed to be running all day yesterday until some thunderstorms popped up in the area around 4. After the thunderstorms left, however, Diamondback was no longer running and had all three trains in storage. I've also yet to see any trains running today. It's VERY rare to see a B&M down for more than a few hours so I'm hoping it's nothing serious.

So, if Diamondback goes down- the DL Roster consists of:

1) Diamondback

2) WindSeeker

3) Drop Tower

4) SOB (60-day disabled list)

5) Crypt (designated for assignment)

numbers 1-3 are pretty significant for a "thrill-seeker" spending in excess of $40 to enter. I understand storms/lightning, etc... In the instance of WindSeeker- I may be naive, but didn't they have an entire off-season to get this thing in running condition for the season. It seems like a month since opening day should have had this thing running.

I thought I saw drop zone going up the tower yesterday when I drove by. Couldn't tell for sure that the lift was actually ascending (it was about half way up the pole; I've never seen it just sit in that location, don't even know if that's possible) couldn't tell if it actually had people on it or not.

Diamondback was down before the storm hit yesterday.I rode once early,then played in Planet Snoopy with my little ones.I went back later and they were running several empty trains so i waited for 5 minutes and they shut it all down. Have no idea why but would guess a faulty sensor or something,who knows.I dont recall seeing Drop Tower running at all,but we left when storm hit,so?It was pretty busy for a monday in may,usually i can get a quick beast ride in but was to long a wait.( my wife gives me time limits when we have the youngest with us!) Im the biggest kid in the family!

^ Given that....

It must not be a KI off the shelf part needed, but rather an ordered part from B & M.

Let's hope it gets up and going for the weekend! I can only imagine the lines for the other rides with DB being down (as well as all the whining about FL for other rides).

It must not be a KI off the shelf part needed, but rather an ordered part from B & M.

Where is B & M?.... Do we need to drive there?.... I've got a full tank of gas!!

How can I help!!!!!

True story:

In 2000, MF was struck by lightning on a Friday night frying CPU part. CP maintenance big-wig (Monty?) took red-eye flight to Switzerland and brought CPU part back to CP at 9:00pm-ish Saturday.

CP kept MF operating till 2:00am.

• Like 1

Uh-Oh. Once upon a time, I made a "What if a whole bunch of Kings Island rides went down at once?" type poll. Now it seems to be really happening- although another thread says Drop Tower re-opened around May 12th:

http://www.KICentral...re/page__st__30

It could have gone down again, though...

Some more notes:

-Another topic suggests Delirium may be about to have yet another one of its "one-month" breakdowns where they need to order that new part from HUSS. It's still running now, but had some major issues the day we went (May 5th) and it was loading/unloading much slower than usual (I have never had to wait 1 hour for Delirium, and yet on that trip I did...and it broke before we got on...) Oh boy, what a horrible time for this ride to have issues too, eh?

-The Crypt is no longer SBNO- Kings Island has already removed the ride. All that's left is the building. I would not count it as a "down" ride, I count it as just plain GONE. (Son of Beast is still just "down"...for now)

Just some notes I wanted to share on this...

Does it seem to be a lot of stuff down this year ?

Is this lack of routine maintenance, less checks, I know Kings Island is safe.

Yes safety first good for closed rides,

But these are what brings people back through the turnstiles.

They have to get this nipped, and need to add some dependable family rides.

^ Sometimes crap happens, and it all happens at the same time.

-B & M coasters do not have a reputation of being maintenance nightmares.

- DZ was struck by lightning. Can't plan for acts of God nor can anyone predict what issues, if any, will result from such acts.

- WS being down should not come as a surprise. We knew it was coming.

Not trying to be argumentative, but did we?

- I don't recall any info being shared about it not opening with the park for the season

- After it didn't open, I heard Knotts was also down

- New ones and Cedar Point all opened on time

Maybe I missed something, but it caught me by surprise.

I was just informed there waiting on a part, would not say when or what . I never know when my jobs gonna come calling so i hope its fixed soon,perhaps tomorrow! :)

Whose your informant if I may ask? I ask because we get a lot of trolls on this forum and I just want to make sure your not one!

Not trying to be argumentative, but did we?

- I don't recall any info being shared about it not opening with the park for the season

- After it didn't open, I heard Knotts was also down

- New ones and Cedar Point all opened on time

Maybe I missed something, but it caught me by surprise.

Carowinds opened their new (2012) WindSeeker the end of March with the new shock absorbers and it was known (but perhaps not here- other sites- namely CB: http://coasterbuzz.c...-its-WindSeeker http://coasterbuzz.c...-fun-than-scary http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25538-is-WindSeeker-running-yet/page__fromsearch__1 that discussed it) about all the WindSeekers being updated.

There is just not enough days to properly test the two new WS (as well as test the new shock absorbers), make the decision to use the new shock absorbers on the older models, manufacture the new shock absorbers, and then update the 2011 models- KI just happens to be last on the list.

UPDATE 5/22/12

Went to the park today from Richmond and was surprised to see that the marquee included Diamondback and Drop Tower with WindSeeker. I thought this was going to make for a miserable day due to 3 rides being down and other lines suffering. Drop Tower was up and running fully functional by at least 11-11:30 I think, got 5 cycles on it no problems. Diamondback still had 3 trains in the sheds and showed no signs all day of anything. Turned out to be one of the best days I have had at the park. WindSeeker was also testing all day going up down full ride cycles, music and all. Thought it might open later in the day but it did not, just test cycles all day.

• Like 1