Diamondback Seems to be Down

gad198

- WS being down should not come as a surprise. We knew it was coming.

Not trying to be argumentative, but did we?

- I don't recall any info being shared about it not opening with the park for the season

- After it didn't open, I heard Knotts was also down

- New ones and Cedar Point all opened on time

Maybe I missed something, but it caught me by surprise.

Carowinds opened their new (2012) WindSeeker the end of March with the new shock absorbers and it was known (but perhaps not here- other sites- namely CB: http://coasterbuzz.c...-its-WindSeeker http://coasterbuzz.c...-fun-than-scary http://www.KICentral...__fromsearch__1 that discussed it) about all the WindSeekers being updated.

There is just not enough days to properly test the two new WS (as well as test the new shock absorbers), make the decision to use the new shock absorbers on the older models, manufacture the new shock absorbers, and then update the 2011 models- KI just happens to be last on the list.

They had all offseason to update the 2011 models because the new shocks were used on the Knott's version from the day it opened in August.

This is the first time I've ever heard of DB being down for anything other than weather.

That's what I thought too. But I'm sure it's nothing big

*Knocks on wood....

DB was down for mechanical issues briefly on opening day this year, though that downtime could easily be confused for a weather issue since they went down just minutes before everything went down for lightning and were back up shortly after other rides got the all clear.

They had all offseason to update the 2011 models because the new shocks were used on the Knott's version from the day it opened in August.

My understanding is that 2012 WS shock absorbers were not used or tested prior to Carowind's 2012 version.

Even if they were on Knott's WS, there still is limited time to build and install two new WS as well as modify 4 others.

- WS being down should not come as a surprise. We knew it was coming.

Not trying to be argumentative, but did we?

- I don't recall any info being shared about it not opening with the park for the season

- After it didn't open, I heard Knotts was also down

- New ones and Cedar Point all opened on time

Maybe I missed something, but it caught me by surprise.

Carowinds opened their new (2012) WindSeeker the end of March with the new shock absorbers and it was known (but perhaps not here- other sites- namely CB: http://coasterbuzz.c...-its-WindSeeker http://coasterbuzz.c...-fun-than-scary http://www.KICentral...__fromsearch__1 that discussed it) about all the WindSeekers being updated.

There is just not enough days to properly test the two new WS (as well as test the new shock absorbers), make the decision to use the new shock absorbers on the older models, manufacture the new shock absorbers, and then update the 2011 models- KI just happens to be last on the list.

This is the first time I've ever heard of DB being down for anything other than weather.

That's what I thought too. But I'm sure it's nothing big

*Knocks on wood....

DB was down for mechanical issues briefly on opening day this year, though that downtime could easily be confused for a weather issue since they went down just minutes before everything went down for lightning and were back up shortly after other rides got the all clear.

So it was down for less than an hour.

Id say that B and M is such a reliable company it will be up within the next week. Unlike Delirium,,,,,

The 2012 WS shock absorbers were not used or tested prior to Carowind's 2012 version.

Oh? What's your source on that? This photo from last year clearly shows them on Knott's version:

640px-Knott%27s_New_WindSeeker_Dampers.jpg

And a few posts on the TPR forums indicate that they were put on CW's version last October.

And a few posts on the TPR forums indicate that they were put on CW's version last October.

Due to their obession with themselves and the members tendency to all think like robots, I tend to take information on TPR about as valuable as info found on SS.

Like I mentioned, even if the updated dampeners were on Knott's WS, there is only so much time in the day, and physical resources, to get all the necessary work accomplished.

Due to their obession with themselves and the members tendency to all think like robots, I tend to take information on TPR about as valuable as info found on SS.

...except that there's a video of CW's version showing the new dampers. Video doesn't lie.

Like I mentioned, even if the updated dampeners were on Knott's WS, there is only so much time in the day, and physical resources, to get all the necessary work accomplished.

The point here is that at the close of last season, only KI's and CP's versions did not have the new dampers. They had essentially SIX months to add them, and they instead waited until it was so late that the ride doesn't open until a month or more into the season. Last year they blamed the delays on the weather. Weather was not an issue this past offseason, so IMO there's really no excuse for this delay. They had all of November, December, and half of January to do the work at KI and CP before vertical construction began at KD and Carowinds, plus most of April after the new ones opened and construction people were no longer needed there. The fact that it didn't get done before the season started is inexcusable.

• Like 2

Rides go down, its a fact of life get over it.

Feel free to ride WindSeeker when its broken and let me know how that goes for you.

Its not like they are closing rides for the fun of it, its usually for an issue that prevents you from riding safely.

Kinda rude don't you think?

• Like 1

It must not be a KI off the shelf part needed, but rather an ordered part from B & M.

Where is B & M?.... Do we need to drive there?.... I've got a full tank of gas!!

How can I help!!!!!

They have a place in or near Cincy, Ohio. I know they make and store track there. But not sure on parts.

^So you are suggesting KI/ CF did not want WS operating for opening day?

No, I highly doubt that they actually wanted it closed on opening day. I am, however, suggesting that someone dropped the ball on this big time. Whether that someone is at CF or Mondial is beyond my capability to speculate.

I highly doubt many know what the real issue is, but we can narrow it down:

- It is not a track issue since trains have been seen cycling

- It is not a transfer track issue (same above reason)

- It is not a specific train issue (ditto)

It has to be a continuous operation issue. My guess that is it a sensor issue that cannot be overridden- perhaps a safety sensor?? Continuously overriding a safety sensor defeats the reason for the sensor.

^So you are suggesting KI/ CF did not want WS operating for opening day?

No, I highly doubt that they actually wanted it closed on opening day. I am, however, suggesting that someone dropped the ball on this big time. Whether that someone is at CF or Mondial is beyond my capability to speculate.

Both sides are professionals and know what work needs to be done for a ride to operate on opening day.

Since we know the fix is out there, and by all appearances the fix is working, it comes down to scheduling.

SNAFUs happen, and I have had to take off my enthusiast hat to understand that (especially in 2000). KI is just on the short end of the stick and will be w/o WS for a couple weeks until the work can be completed.

It must not be a KI off the shelf part needed, but rather an ordered part from B & M.

Where is B & M?.... Do we need to drive there?.... I've got a full tank of gas!!

How can I help!!!!!

They have a place in or near Cincy, Ohio. I know they make and store track there. But not sure on parts.

Let's hope they have an extra double secret special fix it part here in Cincy!!

Take off your enthusiass cap and follow me. Now maybe, just maybe, there was a bigger issue with WindSeeker that prevented it from actually operating in any capacity during a good chunk of the offseason.

• Like 1

^ I thought they first showed up on either Knott's or Wonderland's model sometime last year... Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly?

Knott's was the first one, Canada's Wonderland added theirs it appears just before post season I believe (fall 2011 pictures of CW's shows the absorbers while from opening they were not present)

I was at the park all day today, DB is expected to be running tomorrow or by the weekend. Pretty good source considering he was(im not gonna tell!). I might be a troll,haha, I did see guys replacing the pump for the DB pond,but thats nothing to do with DB being down. I was walking past DB when i got there and the music is playing the 'you had a bad day'song; i looked at my wife and she told me to get over it! It doesnt feel the same without DB rolling, definetly brings life to the party when its goin! It stinks to have no SoB,but after today i could not imagine going without DB! Keep in mind, he wasnt sure if it would be running,but im sure there busting butt to get what they need to get it working.I didnt see anybody working,so they need something!