It's time for KI to get a new front gate!

Shaggy

Guest rcfreak339

^No, there is a room to the far left of the kitchen (if you're looking at the kitchen) that extends to the front wall. But, that is off to the side, not the middle.

Lets say Cedar Fair decides to tear down the old front gate complex, how long will it take to tear it down and build the new front gate complex? Don't forget this is a major construction project that all the guest will pass through. It will have to house new guest service's center, rest rooms, shops, commissary, admission offices and other services now housed. What will the total cost be to tear it down and construct the new gate complex. Don't forget the drawings for all utilities, engineering drawings, permits and such. Another thing, what asbestos removal? Will it just be cost effective to just remodel the whole complex vs. new construction? It will not be able to be started until the park closes and it opens in April.

The asbestos may not be in the building anymore. Or they never put it in. I know that every school in Columbus, Ohio had to have all of the asbestos removed from the buildings pipes and other places. Even if they remodel the front, they will have to remove the asbestos anyway. A roller coaster can be built with everything they have to do by the time the park opens at 25 million dollars. And that's shipping everything in from where ever.

Just for comparison, here's a proper Soak City theme overlay:

7352078670_db79e6118d_b.jpg

The changes here include:

Flattening out the entry archways, replacing the shingles with a tin roof, changing to traditional rooflines on the gabled dormers, and adding a "light house" topper (plus adding all the other generic details you see in the new Soak City gate, like basic eave supports and flat column mouldings).

I strongly prefer the previous version I posted, but this one would at least match the other gate.

See a larger version of this color rendering + the original line art (and again, the full set of this process).

Orthogonal view of the entryway coming up next.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Or we could keep the entrance we have now, I find it to be perfect, very roomy, except for when the line for ticket purchasing gets obnoxiously long.

The entrance is dated, but leave it be. Newer does not always mean better.

I really like the way it stands, I don't think they should waste time and money on the entrance, when they could be building coasters.

A new entrance doesn't require as near as much capital as building a new roller coaster. I would like to see it redone.

You guys know he's just throwing around ideas and sharing his art, right? He's not actually going to change the entrance.

• Like 1

What is wrong with the current front gate? it serve the function it was designed for. A few years ago the guest services location was rehabbed and expanded to better serve the needs of the park's guests. Besides functioning as an entrance for guests to enter the park via the turnstiles, it has gift shops, locker rentals, rentals for baby strollers and wheelchairs, rest rooms, mechanical rooms and on the second floor, the International Restaurant that serves guests for group outings, and as a commissary for the park. As the saying goes, if it isn't broke, why fix it?

i like the entrance the way it is but they need to adverise their rollercoasters on their not just Dinosaurs Alive <_< .

BTW they said that Cedar Fair would reveal their capital expendures(AKA whats new) at the end of october where is it.

Me being so impatient.

i like the entrance the way it is but they need to adverise their rollercoasters on their not just Dinosaurs Alive <_< .

They have nothing to gain by advertising their coasters to someone who's already at the park on their way in since the coasters are included with admission. They do have something to gain by upselling you to an experience that is not included with admission.

• Like 3

And back in the day, there used to be a season pass holder entrance over by the building that is now ticketing and season passes. That entrance is seldom used anymore, but I have used it a couple of times for special events.

I wish they'd just wall that area off. It looks kind of abandoned even though it's right in the middle of everything.

Lets say Cedar Fair decides to tear down the old front gate complex, how long will it take to tear it down and build the new front gate complex? Don't forget this is a major construction project that all the guest will pass through. It will have to house new guest service's center, rest rooms, shops, commissary, admission offices and other services now housed. What will the total cost be to tear it down and construct the new gate complex. Don't forget the drawings for all utilities, engineering drawings, permits and such. Another thing, what asbestos removal? Will it just be cost effective to just remodel the whole complex vs. new construction? It will not be able to be started until the park closes and it opens in April.

Cedar Point will do it in just a few short months. All while building a new coaster with it.

Cedar Point will do it in just a few short months. All while building a new coaster with it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe CP's main entrance is essentially a glorified roof with turnstiles underneath it, maybe a few windows for guest services and similar stuff. KI's entrance is a full-fledged two-story building with shops, offices, a restaurant, and other stuff. There would be much more involved in tearing down KI's entrance than CP's main entrance.

There are several reasons to update the front gate.

For starters, it does have a bit of a dated look. Sure its functional, and by no means a draw back, but it doesn't exactly wow you as you enter the park either. For a park that wants to give customers "their best day of the year" the front entrance is their first interation w/ the park.

secondly, the ticket agent station is definently dated. Perhaps I'm missing something since I've only hit that part to purchase/renew season passes, but they have a bunch of unneeded attendee stations to purchase tickets. Get rid of half of them for those that still want human to human interaction, install a handful of ticket kiosks for those that just want to swipe their credit card or ATM card, get a ticket and get in the park.

third, they have a restaurant that has ada challenges and is largely unused by the their guests. you could incorporate a new restaurant that would not only be ADA complaint, but could also function as a rentable ball room for wedding, christmas parties, corporate events, etc... in the offseason, perhaps even during the season.

fourth, the merchandise stands that they have right under the entrance are small and hard to negotiate. A new front gate could open up more merchandising space, perhaps the opportunity to sell more stuff to people as they leave the park.

fifth, the information racks they have against the pillars as you exit the front gate are dated. A new entrance could allow them to great update those information kiosks. Provide those cell phone scanner things to upload information, apps to your cell phone. A person or two at a desk to answer any and all questions.

Finally, there are many other things an new, enhance front gate could open up for them. The best part of view of KI is the moment you exit the front gate and catch a full glimpse of the tower and fountains. A new design could open that up even more, perhaps enhance it. You could add areas to sell additional upgrades to park guests, segway tours, walking tours, premier storage space (at premier prices), larger restrooms, bigger offices, etc...

If it was me, I'd extend a new front gate out towards the parking lot to provide for more ammenaties. You could likely start building parts of the new entrance/facilities while maintaing the current facilities thru the course of a season, the start the demo/remodel work in the existing gate during the offseason. I'd imagine a new gate is pretty low on the radar, if its even on their radar, but you know it will happen eventually. 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, its anyone's guess.

• Like 1